You can type here any text you want

Crank triggers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
The MSD Flying Magnet Crank Trigger system does exactly that by using four magnets embedded in an aluminum wheel. Although similar in appearance to other crank triggers, the MSD Flying Magnet design works on a different principle.

who cares what the MSD can do if you cant find one.

Thanks for the input, Chris. I was planning on including a shielded wire that plugged into the sensor and was long enough to run to the computer. I am going to look into having two bolt patterns on the trigger wheel for both ignition strategies. If this won't work, I will make the pickup adjustable.
Please keep the suggestions coming. I plan to have everything finalized in the next week.

Cal,
This is a picture of a Fluid damper I modified for a factory style trigger sensor. What I'm interested in doing is mounting a trigger wheel to the front flange of my drive pulley. If you look close, you can see that there is a recess theat the pulley flange sits into. I know my system is somewhat unique but if there is some way that I can split the wheel or make some slots to fit the base of the pulley around then I'm definetly interested.
Allan G.

Attachments

• buick 049A.jpg
    buick 049A.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 390
Cal,
This is a picture of a Fluid damper I modified for a factory style trigger sensor. What I'm interested in doing is mounting a trigger wheel to the front flange of my drive pulley. If you look close, you can see that there is a recess theat the pulley flange sits into. I know my system is somewhat unique but if there is some way that I can split the wheel or make some slots to fit the base of the pulley around then I'm definetly interested.
Allan G.
If you had to you could get the short pulley and ill make you a spacer setup like i have. It would weigh less than the steel under drive you have on here.

can it be bolted to the back of the balancer? in a similar location as the interrupter ring?

If the factory computer won't support an inductive pickup, I'm not sure what you are wanting.:confused:
That issue could likely be addressed with the stock ECU, I just am not sure what the real benifit would be for more than one or two folks. I would think that adding the stock angle for compatability (gen7 and ?) is a good idea. Not too big of a deal in machine cost changes
Mike

Thanks Mike. I wasn't thinking the issue was the ecu so much as the ignition module. Of course if they are iusing that, why change? I planned on this more for guys with distributors

Why couldn't the stock ECM handle the fueling and use the crank trigger with a distributor and 7AL3 to handle the spark ???

I guess that raises a whole nuther issue with the cam sensor replaced by a distributor.

I wish I had a lathe here to play with... All that would be needed is a cam sensor you can mount a cap and rotor to. The crank sensor and MSD box would then handle the timing.

I'm picturing a dual pickup crank sensor... or two seperate triggering devices. one hall effect for the ECM and one inductive for the MSD box.

I guess I'm making it way more complicated than it needs to be... ;)

Just thinking out loud... :D

Maybe I'll just wait for TurboBob's fancy schmancy stock ignition interrupter and try that instead. :cool:

Why couldn't the stock ECM handle the fueling and use the crank trigger with a distributor and 7AL3 to handle the spark ???

Seems awfully complicated, especially when trimming timing vs boost, knock sensor input, traction control, etc....

I hear ya cal. I think we could make it work with the stock ignition just can't figure our why :)
MIke

Maybe I'll just wait for TurboBob's fancy schmancy stock ignition interrupter and try that instead. :cool:
it will be both fancy and schmancy :)

Making the inductive crank trigger work with the stock stuff is tough, as the stock stuff expects a square wave and uses the rising and falling edges for different things. You would have to run a stock pickup for the ECM and the inductive for the MSD stuff.

It would certainly be an interesting project.

Bob

Cal,

"Quote"
Let's say your running 30 degrees timing. The factory trigger occurs at 10 degrees BTDC it then has to wait 100 degrees to fire the coil. With a 50 degree trigger, there is only a 20 degree delay.

Would this have a positive effect do you think, on my cam sync issues ?

George

Sorry George, I don't think so. You're problem is noise related, which could get worse with an inductive pick up.

"Quote"
Sorry George, I don't think so. You're problem is noise related, which could get worse with an inductive pick up.

Oh well .....

Adrian and I will be rewiring the entire car in February ... neat and tidy, with all relays and fuses in one easily accessible location.

George

They are coming along nicely. I will be sure to get you one of the first ones.

By putting the cam trigger in the balancer, it won;t count for the slop in the timing chain, how critical that is, Iam not sure. All you need to do is mount the factory cam sensor inside the distributor somehow.

Back