You can type here any text you want

Educate me on the BB Two step.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
It has 2 rev limiters, hence the name 2 step. Step one is activated via an input, such as trans brake or for burnouts. That rpm will be lower. The 2nd rev limiter is always on, which would be your high limit. Basically the Max number you would ever want to rev your engine to. I believe the Bailey piece cuts power to the c3i to limit rpm.

How does this help build boost at the line?
Not having a trans brake how else can it be activated?

I don't know if it will help build boost...although it might because you can retard timing at launch which can help some cars. Also may be the banging on the rev limiter may help to, just as the stick shift turbo guys use that antilag setup to create back fires in the headers to get it spooled.

You could wire it to the brake lights or the shifter. Make 1st low have a switch that activates it. Or just put t on ad button and let go when you launch the car.

I remember reading a thread about the timing issues involved with a two step. I think it was some concern that the timing was consistent or changed somehow when the launch rev limit was reached. Anybody know of this, or remember that thread in any detail and can explain.

This is...

from the intro to the 2/s man.
unit is designed to limit eng.speed(rpm) to the desired presets to allow the driver to hold accellerator floored while preparing to launch the vehicle when racing.
2nd is to limit the top eng. rpm below the rev limiter set in the ecm, shutting downthe fuel preventing a lean condition and avirting a disaster! (paraphrased by me)
1/It's a piggy-back plug and play unit.
2/ the 2/step is to aid in launch and the second to limit rpm and thus protect against eng. detonation
3/by controlling the spark/spark timing.
How's that?:confused:

from the intro to the 2/s man.
unit is designed to limit eng.speed(rpm) to the desired presets to allow the driver to hold accellerator floored while preparing to launch the vehicle when racing.
2nd is to limit the top eng. rpm below the rev limiter set in the ecm, shutting downthe fuel preventing a lean condition and avirting a disaster! (paraphrased by me)
1/It's a piggy-back plug and play unit.
2/ the 2/step is to aid in launch and the second to limit rpm and thus protect against eng. detonation
3/by controlling the spark/spark timing.
How's that?:confused:

1. It doesn't cut the fuel, it cuts timing up top.
2. The top rpm limit is to prevent the engine's rpm from going to the moon and spinning it's self apart. Nothing to do with detonation.
3. It does not control timing at top. However it can retard timing on the 1st step such is the launch control rpm. Again, this is not for detonation. Some setups may spool faster with retarded timing.

Let see if i got this straight
Staging
1-activate the two step
2-Floor the gas pedal
3-Engine rpm stops at 3200- By cutting Spark and not Fuel.
4-Maybe build some boost while at it????
Green light
5-Deactivate the two step
6-Get full power
7-hit some oil down the track
8-hit the rev limit at 5900 RPM -Cut spark instead of fuel
all is good
am i close????
where does the timing come into play???
On the first stage it cuts spark and retards the timing??????

You pretty much got it. The only place you can retard the timing is on the 1st step. You can adjust zero to whatever. That is activated by activating the 1st stage. Has nothing to do with the knock sensor just in case you were thinking that.

Bob's 2 step allows to build all the boost you want without making a ton of power. It works very well. IMO it makes a trans brake obsolete.

There ya go.
How to 2 set up step rev limiter 2step | Tuning Launch Control

"How does the 2step rev limiter build boost with no load

What two step gives you the ability to do, is retard the ignition at a certain RPM to keep the motor from revving higher in the RPM range. By retarding the ignition at a specific engine RPM, we cause the combustion to occur later in the engines cycle. If your not super familiar with a 4 stroke motors cycle be sure to check our article here to help you with this explanation.

With the ignition retarded, and the combustion lagged, the exhaust gas temps ( EGT’s) will sky rocket, and the manifold pressure will shoot up. There will now be a higher manifold pressure and temperature in the exhaust manifold that usually can only be found when the car is under load or at a higher RPM. This increased manifold pressure in-turn will spin the turbine and give the engine boost pressure usually never seen on the starting line. As the timing is retarded even further in the combustion cycle process, the exhaust valve will open and combustion of the gas and air may even occur in the exhaust manifold itself, causing pressure and heat to increase even further in exhaust manifold and build even more boost pressure. This is why when you engage the 2step rev limiter on a boosted car it becomes EXTREMLY LOUD and you hear all of the back firing. Backfiring is when a car doesn’t burn all of its fuel in the combustion process, and then combusts in the exhaust system. The important parameters when setting up a boosted application will be usually ALL OF THEM."

Great info. Anyone have any before and after results? As in "without the 2 step, I could only build xx PSI at the line, but with the 2 step I now reach XX."

Also, the comment on transbrake now obsolete, this is because the motor builds the boost, but won't push through the brakes as mush as trying to build w/o the 2 step?

Pretty amazing product, now that I somewhat understand it. ;)

Great info. Anyone have any before and after results? As in "without the 2 step, I could only build xx PSI at the line, but with the 2 step I now reach XX."

Also, the comment on transbrake now obsolete, this is because the motor builds the boost, but won't push through the brakes as mush as trying to build w/o the 2 step?

Pretty amazing product, now that I somewhat understand it. ;)
i am thinking the same thing

Any one??

I disagree on the statement of making an transbrake obsolete. The two work in conjunction together. 2 steps have been around forever. You will never get the shock on the suspension off a foot brake like you will on a tbrake. You don't see any of the serious turbo Buick racers ditching their tbrake just bc they got a 2step.

You can still use a trans brake but If the car is 2 stepping and not making power, what good is it? Your just adding another variable.

The reason people use a trans brake is because they cant hold the car with the foot brake. When using a trans brake you should still load the suspension/drive train as much as possible before you set it.

A experienced racer will launch smooth with minimal shock to the drive train. Even with a trans brake.

I know allot of peeps here think releasing the trans brake on a neutral drive train is the way it's suppose to work but it's just asking to break things.

It's all in technique.

You want to load the drive train as much as possible for a good launch.

Click on image. This is a friends who has launching a turbobuick down.
http://www.fquick.com/videos/Best_60_time_-_1.299!!!/359

You better go tell every tso/tsm/super comp/super gas/stock eliminaor/etc racer they are doing it wrong.

Click on image. This is a friends who has launching a turbobuick down.
http://www.fquick.com/videos/Best_60_time_-_1.299!!!/359

Is this of a tbrake w/ a 2-step? I understand tbrakes and 2-steps as I used to run one in my chevy II. How does the converter come into play with just a 2-step? Can you mat the gas with just a 2-step?
When running my tbrake My converters true stall was 4800 and I would chip it down thru the 2-step. So how will this work on a stock D5 with just a 2-step? Is it limited to the max rpm stall of the D5 or can the rpms be brought up higher than that?

I am very interested in this "Bailey Engineering" Two step device.
But don't know how much they cost or even where to buy it (if i can afford it)
i even Sent "TurboBob" a pm inviting him to stop by this thread and enlighten us on this/his product.
I guess these are not Available???
What is the next closest Brand/product to get? MSD???

Back