You can type here any text you want

excessive end play on crank snout.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
I have had three cam sensors taken out by the reluctor ring striking the sensor. I replaced the balancer and it appears there is still deflection in the balancer. Can someone tell me what is acceptable end play in the crank snout? At this point I'm trying to figure out what is out of round, but am certainly hoping it's not the crank....

I have had three cam sensors taken out by the reluctor ring striking the sensor. I replaced the balancer and it appears there is still deflection in the balancer. Can someone tell me what is acceptable end play in the crank snout? At this point I'm trying to figure out what is out of round, but am certainly hoping it's not the crank....
You mean 3 crank sensors? End play should be .004. You may have a cracked balancer causing run out or a bent ring. Pull the balancer and check it and get an accurate crank end play number.

Yeah, sorry, meant crank sensor....we're working on it right now to figure out what exactly is wrong...

Oil pressure was great, 70-80psi startup and 40-45 warm. I'm not sure what the thrust bearing is...

Thrust Bearing = (one of the Main bearings on the crank)
When a thrust surface/bearing fails, the crank will walk forward causing the CRANK sensor to be taking out from the reluctor ring striking the sensor. Some times but not all the time when a thrust bearing fails, the material from it will cause damage in other bearings and result in poor oil pressure. (went down that road myself) Have you seen any change in the oil pressure lately? If you've changed the balancer and you're sure it has been torque to spec and are still having trouble that’s my guess.

Make sure the balancer bolt is torque to specs and the snout area of the balancer is not cracked

The mechanic called me down to the shop. He had a dial gauge on the balancer and showed me that there was 0.10 of movement on the machined face of the brand new balancer. He's going to pull the balancer and get the gauge on the crank snout itself this week, but it's not looking good. The in/out play is fine, no problems there.

I've never even heard of a crank snout that could be that far out and not take out the whole motor within a mater of miles/minutes.

Supposedly the crank was turned down and checked, and the engine builder was referred to me as reputable by several people. No he is not associated with this board.

If I have to pull this motor out for a third time in two years I'm gunna be pissed. I dont mind doing the work at all, it's just that I would have liked to enjoy the car for a little while. I've literally had to pull/intall the motor three times since the rebuild. :mad:

Sean, Just make sure the guy wrenching now is reputable. If he's not get the heck out there.

I’m interested to see what you find. I saw an Olds-Diesel that had about 1/2 inch of wobble in the crank hub. A week later the engine wouldn’t spin. We never did open it up to see what was left.

The play in the crank is .003 with the dial indicator set up on the top of it. So the question is, is that acceptable? Clearly the stock balancer is out of wack waaaaaay too much. We all know .000 is what we want. :) Can I accept the .003 and put a good balancer on there? What balancer? My brand new factory piece obviously didn't cut it....let me know. I've got some decisions to make...

The play in the crank is .003 with the dial indicator set up on the top of it. So the question is, is that acceptable? Clearly the stock balancer is out of wack waaaaaay too much. We all know .000 is what we want. :) Can I accept the .003 and put a good balancer on there? What balancer? My brand new factory piece obviously didn't cut it....let me know. I've got some decisions to make...

.003 end play or run out out he crank shout?

Yes, slightly bent. I'm assuming I'll put another balancer on it and run it like it is. Got any suggestions on a balancer? Stock? Aftermarket? I dont really want to spend $450 on an aftermarket one, but are there any other options?

Replacing the balancer is not going to cure the problem. Fix the source.. The crank. That crank may not be bent at the snout. It may be bent near the cheek of the #1 throw, the #2 throw...All you are seeing is the resulting wobble. Bent at any place other than the snout, and the bearings won't be alive for long... New balancer or not.

Back