Guys I have a question, 1988 Toyota 4X4 for my son.

JOHNDEEREGN

Staff member
Guys-

I know nothing about Toyota Products, but my son that is soon to be driving age saw a 1988 Ext Cab 4x4 here at our local lot.

It was owned by a local old man (really) and taken really good car of. It has the M23 motor (i think thats it) and automatic.

Great shape inside and out! 125,000 miles. New Bridgestone tires, probably a 7 scale rig maybe 8.

I think I can get it for him for 3-4 Grand, think thats a good deal? Pics will follow tomorrow but trust me its nice.

Ty

Thats pretty low miles. Check and see the service history. I've worked for Toyo but mostly on the new cars. I'd say 3-4K would be resonable, but I would hammer them DOWN :eek: .

a 88 yota for only around 3 or 4 thats really good..here is geogia.. you couldn't get one with that low of miles for lower than 5 or 6..i say jump on it..i have had two of them and were one of mine best trucks and real realiable..:biggrin:

I had a 1991 Toyota SR5 X-tra cab p/u but with the 3VZE (V6) engine. Good truck.

The 22RE is the 2.4 4 cylinder motor.

Both trucks are good vehicles for new drivers.

Side note: I was able to tow my GN with my Toyota. The only problem, the motor did not really have enough power to maintain 70 mph. It did it but the power wasn't there.

1990.toyota.pickup.10114-E.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I had a 1991 Toyota SR5 X-tra cab p/u but with the 3VZE (V6) engine. Good truck.

The 22RE is the 2.4 4 cylinder motor.

Both trucks are good vehicles for new drivers.

Side note: I was able to tow my GN with my Toyota. The only problem, the motor did not really have enough power to maintain 70 mph. It did it but the power wasn't there.

1990.toyota.pickup.10114-E.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Billy I am WRONG it is a V-6, just like that truck except blue/silver. It is real clean! THANKS GUYS!

I think its a 4 cyl. Look under the hood when you go to look at it :rolleyes: :tongue: . Toyo does make a good product. Just chack the fluids and see if it was taken care of, smell the trans fluid too. Also ask if you can put it on a lift to check the front suspension and get a better look under the truck.

I have an 89 with the fuel injected r22 engine. The v6 is notorious for head gasket failure, and many of them were recalled to toyota for replacement engines. The automatics are dogs, and don't do well up hills etc. like the 5 speeds do. I would look for a slightly newer like 89-94, with the r22. The most reliable truck EVER built hands down. Not just because I have one either. Should be able to score one under 3-4k that is CLEAN!

be aware of the v6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think its a 4 cyl. Look under the hood when you go to look at it :rolleyes: :tongue: . Toyo does make a good product. Just chack the fluids and see if it was taken care of, smell the trans fluid too. Also ask if you can put it on a lift to check the front suspension and get a better look under the truck.

SMartass, lol. I thought the M23 or whatever was the 6....

I will post pics tomorrow night:biggrin: after work.

I had an 89 4x4 extended cab in HS that was a handme down from my brother. It had the 22RE 4 cyl and 5 speed. Only thing i had to change was the clutch 1 time brake pads and rear wheel bearings. Was a very good runing truck. Just couldnt pass anyone lol

Guys-

I know nothing about Toyota Products, but my son that is soon to be driving age saw a 1988 Ext Cab 4x4 here at our local lot.

It was owned by a local old man (really) and taken really good car of. It has the M23 motor (i think thats it) and automatic.

Great shape inside and out! 125,000 miles. New Bridgestone tires, probably a 7 scale rig maybe 8.

I think I can get it for him for 3-4 Grand, think thats a good deal? Pics will follow tomorrow but trust me its nice.

Ty

BUY AMERICAN:)

I have an 89 with the fuel injected r22 engine. The v6 is notorious for head gasket failure, and many of them were recalled to toyota for replacement engines. The automatics are dogs, and don't do well up hills etc. like the 5 speeds do. I would look for a slightly newer like 89-94, with the r22. The most reliable truck EVER built hands down. Not just because I have one either. Should be able to score one under 3-4k that is CLEAN!

+1 But the Tacoma 3400 V6 is bulletproof

The 3VZ's had a head gasket camaign. We are still doing some of them if the people can go without their truck for a day or two. VERY easy to do. The 3.0's didn't have that good of power with the auto but the later 3.4 5VZ have plenty. My wife's 4Runner pulled a loaded U-Haul trailer full of furniture and her motorcycle all the way from Las Cruces, NM to Las Vegas, NV. The 3VZ's are still ok when maintained properly. The price they are asking is good but see if he will go lower. :)

Gonna be the downer on this one Ty. A 4wd in the hands of a kid can be a dangerous thing. He may want it but will he be responsible enough not to do something stupid. A high center vehicle is much easier to flip. If you decide to get it for him they are good trucks. I had an 85 extended cab that I modified and got 3" in the front and 5" in the rear suspension. It was a 2wd so insurance was cheaper. It was a good truck and beat the heck out of it for 7 years.

Guys-

Ty

If it is in good shape, yes it is worth it. Make sure the 4 wheel drive works and it is worth 3K all day long everyday. As long as he don't beat it to death it will always be worth that... I have seen wrecked ones go for 1500-2000...

Double check that body style picture as '88 is different from the newer style 89 extra cab. '89 has more interior backseat room. Had an 89 4WD extracab, 4 cyl 22RE fuel injected 5 speed. Sold it at 230k miles, felt like it would've gone another 100K easy.
I see a lot of these Toyota p/u's being taken down through South Texas on their way to Mexico and South America. They're depleting the inventory!

Ty

Your boy deserves no less than a Corvette ZR1. Now get busy and get him one.

Thanks for everyones input, Charlie, I will put a Roll Bar in it if we get it.

I have thought about the pro's and con's of a 78 Chev/Ford 4x4 4x2 etc and this is the best buy for the $$$ plus it has less Horsepower than the American counterparts.

Being it is an 88 model I doubt I am hurting the American economy too bad.

Off to deal....

Bought my 93 v6 4x4 5spd new(red just like the pics above), still have it with 90k (hard)mi. 0 problems other then the AC no longer works, it was recalled for the head gasket even thou wasn't having any problems. Not a speck of rust on her.

Towed the GN from PA to Bristol and back with the truck:smile:
She's now semi retired just doing any hauling needed and snow plowing in the winter.
This will be my Son's first car also, in about 6yrs:redface:

Make sure to check for sludge in the oil. The toyota V6 engines have a serious problem with it. While the engine is drained, try to run some wire along the floor of the oil pan. If it comes back with chunks on it, you will be pulling some parts for cleaning. Look under the valve covers for build-up too. Then, there is also the headgasket issue. Aside form that and the rusting of the bed around the wheel wells, it's a great truck.

The v6 is notorious for head gasket failure, and many of them were recalled to toyota for replacement engines. The automatics are dogs, and don't do well up hills etc. like the 5 speeds do. I would look for a slightly newer like 89-94, with the r22. The most reliable truck EVER built hands down. Not just because I have one either. Should be able to score one under 3-4k that is CLEAN!

+1 on the headgasket issue.

One day I started up my truck and it started blowing white smoke out the exhaust........HG :mad:

So I rip it all apart, real easy to do. Mill the the heads and slap everything back together. Mind you I was already out of extended warranty (7 yrs/75K mi). I think I did the HG repair in 97 but around the 95K mi mark. Everything is running good. Then I get the HG Campaign in the mail from Toyota, they are extending my warranty for 10yrs/100K :mad: So I go to the Toyota dealership and ask to be compensated. They told me that they would give back my money for the parts but not for my labor but would give back my money if the HG job was done at an auto repair shop......WTF :mad: :mad:

Needless to say, I put another 25K on the truck and traded it in to get my current truck, 1997 F250HD Powerstroke :cool:

Oh BTW, I re-used the TTY head bolts :eek:

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com