Hunters show your pictures.

This thread died and should be well alive now. Hunting season is over for most so show or tell us how you did.
I’ll start from where I left off. My wife and rented a cabin and went bow hunting for a week. My parents stayed with us and watched the kids. Hunting was good but no big boys were moving. I took lots of pictures but the best one was out the cabin window of this buck.
From the cabin we went straight to South Dakota for some pheasant hunting. Actually we had three weeks worth of hunting. I took my nephew who had never been and boy oh boy did we have some fun. The first day he shot 29 times before he got his three birds. We were having fun to say the least. Lots and lots of birds but not so easy to put in the bag.
Back to deer hunting. I finally took a doe with my bow since I just could not even see a decent buck. This is the first year in a while that I can remember that I never even seen a big buck. That’s’ why it’s hunting and not killing. I’m going to go out tomorrow with my muzzle loader and see what happens. It’s been over a month since I’ve been in the woods down south. The temps are looking ugly with below temps in the morning. Should be fun.

Attachments

• tb1.JPG
    tb1.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 232
  • tb2.JPG
    tb2.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 250
Good luck in the morning!

We harvested a nice seven point yesterday evening, my neighbor had not put one on the wall yet, he's 23, we put him on a good one. His girlfriend took a nice doe this evening, so they had a great weekend. His first buck and her first deer period! Now it's time to get down to business, after spending more time than I care to discuss in the stand this year the patterns have emerged and we should be able to get it done. The rut is in full swing down here and the deer are moving. Mean conception date is Jan 3d this year :D

If I'm lucky in the next week or so I'll post some pics. We've got hogs invading the goat pasture and got a 350 lb one a couple of weeks ago. One out of a dozen and we need to make them go away to keep the pasture good for the goats. I've seen 1 deer this year beacuse of the hogs so they need to go away.

Looks like a woodcock or maybe a wilson's snipe? Not to familular with a bird like that Al.

Looks like a woodcock or maybe a wilson's snipe? Not to familular with a bird like that Al.

Woodcock aka timberdoodle.

We have a WMA near here that's managed for small game. We have a passable season since no one hunts them. This week I've flushed 7 on one hunt and 3 on another.

No one hunts them cause their so frigging hard to hit. My dad used to talk about going snipe hunting in TN and swore they have a rocket hidden under their buts.

No one hunts them cause their so frigging hard to hit. My dad used to talk about going snipe hunting in TN and swore they have a rocket hidden under their buts.

Yup that's my only one of the year. He turned to head around a pine tree right as I shot. I thought I had missed him until I saw a few feathers coming down in the shower of pine bark.

Update

After a week of sitting in the coldest temperatures I remember around here, ever, I have taken a bit of a cold and feel as though some giant man has punched me right in the gut. The cold I am sure is a result of the north winds, the gut punch came ala a very nice ten pointer with a drop this afternoon between the times of 5:10 and 5:47. Long story short, doe walks in, leaves, walks back in, moves upwind 22 (I know cause I stepped it off) yards and brings big boy in with her. Me and her end up in a stare down at said 22 yards as he sits in the pine thicket watching. Finally she puts her head down and goes back to feeding, he walks in stays just long enough for me to get the gun up and see his rear end disappear back into the pine thicket. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Good news is neither were spooked. No blows, stomps, grunts, or white flags so I am going back in the morning.

LOL I know the feeling. I was doing some mods to the stand one morning and had a 6 point walk up and look around. All I had was my "baby" and she's got a 6 to 24X and all I could see was hair. Not much help but I didn't even try because I couldn't see where the bullet was going to hit.

I hope you whack the ten pointer this morning. Temps have been silly cold here too. My buddy and I have going out anyway. We shot seven in four days of hunting. No bucks and we only took large does. Saturday morning when I went out it was -12F° and -34F° wind chill. Way to cold to hunt. I shot two in the first 50 minutes and got out of the cold as quick as I could. My figers froze trying to reload the muzzle loader. Here is my son helping make burger and breakfast sausage.

Attachments

• josh1.jpg
    josh1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 202
LOL I know the feeling. I was doing some mods to the stand one morning and had a 6 point walk up and look around. All I had was my "baby" and she's got a 6 to 24X and all I could see was hair. Not much help but I didn't even try because I couldn't see where the bullet was going to hit.

I actually got the gun up and on him just long enough to see his haunches before they disappeared, just can't take a bad shot on a deer like that.

I hope you whack the ten pointer this morning. Temps have been silly cold here too. My buddy and I have going out anyway. We shot seven in four days of hunting. No bucks and we only took large does. Saturday morning when I went out it was -12F° and -34F° wind chill. Way to cold to hunt. I shot two in the first 50 minutes and got out of the cold as quick as I could. My figers froze trying to reload the muzzle loader. Here is my son helping make burger and breakfast sausage.

Now that's cold! Congrats on the Swamp Donkeys :biggrin:

I have been letting the does go this year, well except for one. I took her cause the guys next door had shot a doe that they thought was big. She weighed just over 100lb, I thought it was best to go ahead and get one that came in around 130lb to show them what they needed to be looking for. Don't forget our body sizes just don't get as big as you guys in the mid-west.

I gotta admit, it takes dedication to be out there below O, and processing your own meat too. I believe we have found a true woodsman on the board!!! :cool:

Haven't seen any Bucks except for a few spikes.. We got two doe's yesterday to fill up the freezer though.

Hunting on the golf course

I was trying to figure how to put my 30-30 by 9 iron.

Attachments

• fireworks 034.jpg
    fireworks 034.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 176
Haven't seen any Bucks except for a few spikes.. We got two doe's yesterday to fill up the freezer though.

Congrats on the does!! Still hunting big boy down here, saw six this afternoon. One nice buck came out very late, could barely see him through the goggles and not at all through the scope and he was a long way out. Back tom afternoon, gotta fix broken water pipes all morning :eek:

I was trying to figure how to put my 30-30 by 9 iron.

Nice!! You gotta take at least one shot with the ole fairway driver at him :biggrin:

No good news to report :mad:

Had a nice buck come in yesterday evening chasing a doe right at 5:50pm. It was just too dark to make a good judgement on him, so I watched him chase the doe around for a few minutes and backed out without spooking him.

Had to sleep in this morning, but heading back this afternoon.