If you had 1 noisy lifter...

I dont think so. I looked them over pretty good before painting them. DS was welded by someone on the past. I think its a lifter or maybe an injector? I did however send them to caspers so they can do whatever they do to them. So..... start over with preload, but go 3/4 past contact? As long as rocker threads are in spec? And, it has been at the same volume from initial start up till now.

Not really audible beyound idle. Possibly quieter when i had a qt of lucas in it. Oil is 10/40 royal purple

Will a wideband pick up leak in header?

One of my cars has:
FTS 210/215
Johnson reduced travel lifters
Harland Sharp 1.55:1
150lb on the seat

It's certainly not quiet, sounds like a roller setup with higher spring pressures often does

I don't run 885's so this may not apply to you but going tighter on one of my old projects made them all sound the same. Having one ticky lifter drove me nuts.

Does the ticking go away with oil pressure rise? Might be just some crud in that one and it's sticking.

I think so, or the rest if the valve train is masking it. Motor is relativey quiet except that one lifter mostly at idle. About 1500 miles on this mostly used parts motor

When we say "sticking" what exactly is it? Stuck up, down, what makes the actual noise?

Stuck lifter.
Note the plunger is stuck DOWN.

Attachments

• 20170715_142959.jpg
    20170715_142959.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 140
Stuck lifter.
Note the plunger is stuck DOWN.
Are both of those down, or just the bottom one in the pic where you cant see the rest of the plunger? Thats a 1/2" more from the top of the lifter.... that would make a ton of noise, right?

Are both of those down, or just the bottom one in the pic where you cant see the rest of the plunger? Thats a 1/2" more from the top of the lifter.... that would make a ton of noise, right?
They were all stuck on my car.
But . . . I was dealing with other issues.

That's got to be loud, even if it were only 1 lifter. I can rule out a bad lifter, i hope, and mess with preloads. I need to get a hold of full throttle to know what i have in there. Dude i got it from just said comps, no specific number.

Think I came across the thread discussing your issue. Hope you got straight without to much heart ache.

That's got to be loud, even if it were only 1 lifter. I can rule out a bad lifter, i hope, and mess with preloads. I need to get a hold of full throttle to know what i have in there. Dude i got it from just said comps, no specific number.

Think I came across the thread discussing your issue. Hope you got straight without to much heart ache.
The car was ran for a very short period while trying to diagnose the issue. LOUD is almost an understatement.

That lateral play looks fine

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

After resetting preload to 3/4 past zero, I can say everything sound equally as loud as the noise i thought was a single lifter. I guess its the "sewing machine" reference that I've read about.

"If" 3/4 is too much, how will I know? Decrease in overall performance? Different afr readings?

Do a leak down with the rockers attached. If its got to much pre load you'll know

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

The noise is driving me. None of the lifters were soft at all when I reset the preload.

Last edited: