You can type here any text you want

Lowering options

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Im in the process of lowering my GN right now. I went thru our spring catalog last week(I work for NAPA). The catalog gives all the measurements, rates, ect. I got some in Friday, I"ll let you know how much I gain and what they were if they work.

Im in the process of lowering my GN right now. I went thru our spring catalog last week(I work for NAPA). The catalog gives all the measurements, rates, ect. I got some in Friday, I"ll let you know how much I gain and what they were if they work.

Hmmm? I'm curious to see what you can find! How soon are you going to put the springs on?

Let us know. I was looking through a Moog coil spring catalog and tried to figure out which springs would work based on free height, compressed height, etc, but just ended up getting a headache!

I'll be putting them on soon.. I have no heat in the garage so today is out (still -2 out there) soon though. I'll keep ya posted...

A 5413 should be a about 1.5" drop for the rear.

You could try a set of springs from suspention techniques which runs about $200 for all 4.

just heat them up with a torch BUT ya need someone watching the car so they can yell when it sags down to the height ya want .. FREE ;)

Here's my car lowered "Grumpy style" :eek:

Attachments

• My T 002.jpg
    My T 002.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 430
Can anyone confirm whether or not you can cut the rear springs with the pig-tailed ends? I remember someone posting that you shouldn't cut them because the spring mounts are shaped for the smaller pig-tail section of the coil and if you cut that off it won't seat correctly. But then they suggested getting F-body springs that don't have the pigtail at all if you want to cut them... which makes no sense because the fbody springs shouldn't seat right either.

Just curious. I will probably buy whatever Moog springs are "supposed" to lower the car but if I end un unhappy, out comes the cut-off wheel.

Can anyone confirm whether or not you can cut the rear springs with the pig-tailed ends? I remember someone posting that you shouldn't cut them because the spring mounts are shaped for the smaller pig-tail section of the coil and if you cut that off it won't seat correctly. But then they suggested getting F-body springs that don't have the pigtail at all if you want to cut them... which makes no sense because the fbody springs shouldn't seat right either.

Just curious. I will probably buy whatever Moog springs are "supposed" to lower the car but if I end un unhappy, out comes the cut-off wheel.

You can't cut the G body springs because of the barrel shape (small top and bottom opening with a wider center). The F body rear springs are equal width top to bottom and are narrow enough to seat on the perches as is, therefor you can cut as much as you want.

Hmmm, okay. So now I gotta figure out which Moog spring would be meant for an F-body and use that as my rear lowering spring.

Also which gen f-body are we talking?

Alright cool. Well we'll see if Heavy D gets the chance to experiment with some springs and see what results he gets. If not I'll just start with some fresh springs and cut if necessary.

I'll be putting them on soon.. I have no heat in the garage so today is out (still -2 out there) soon though. I'll keep ya posted...

40 degrees for the next day or two, go try on some springs for the rest of us. :D

Here's my car lowered "Grumpy style" :eek:

T Spool - where did you get your one-piece air dam? I've see the solid ones for the front mount intercooler cars but have not seen one like yours which appears to open for the stock mount intercooler. Oh yea - love the silver!

Rob

T Spool - where did you get your one-piece air dam? I've see the solid ones for the front mount intercooler cars but have not seen one like yours which appears to open for the stock mount intercooler. Oh yea - love the silver!

Rob

It was sold by kenne Bell - obviously no longer available. It's fiberglass and the center opening tunnels air right into the stock location intercooler. There was a few variations of this dam available - like mine with one opening for the ram air (ditched that a long time ago), two openings and even a one piece fiberglass bumper/air dam assembly.

how do they ride?

The rear springs ride like factory springs, but the fronts have gradually gotten lower to the point there was several coils stacked on top of each other. On bumps the car would dart right or left because the front springs were already compressed. It wasn't always this way, it just got lower in time.

I'm in the process of changing things up so I can run 275/60/15 DR's and a little taller tire in the front, but I'm sticking with factory springs cutting a little at a time to maintain factory ride and good launching capabiliteis. No stiff corner carving springs for me :D

Update

Alright, I went out this weekend and messed around with springs. First off let me say this stuff will drive you nuts! The ones I picked out of the catalog for the front were supposed to be physically an inch lower than stock. Well when I put them side by side the new ones were slightly taller than the ones on the car. They also had one more coil, the thickness looked the same. So after a phone call for moral support I went ahead and wacked a coil out of them before I put them in. I didnt have enuff patients to put them in and have it be the same or higher. So I dont know where they would have been but I did gain 2 inches of drop after cutting them :) As far as the rears go, I swapped out for some worn out saggy springs and gained 1 inch there. The problem with this stuff is that your car is 21 years old and may already be lower than what you buy. I didnt have much in these springs so I didnt mind cutting them up. Im probably gonna pick up a set of drop spindles for the front to go with with these cut springs. As far as the rear goes. I think Im gonna go with an Air-Ride bolt in set-up. That way when the kids go along I can adjust the rear. :confused: I think....

Back