NVU gauge cluster installation.

Hey All! My car is still in AZ and I'm still working in TX. Just got done re-reading 20 pages of this and before I send my gauges back to NVU had a few questions that were brought up over the course of the thread.
1. Did anyone go ahead and order the clear overlay so there is something between the gauge faces and your fingers? If so, did it work and can you see the gauges?
2. Did you get your dimmer switch from NVU and can you eliminate the factory dimmer? Which leads to question 3.
3. Did anyone get a hold of TR Customs about an overlay for the programming buttons? I'm thinking that if a new overlay was ordered without the slot for the factory dimmer, there would be plenty of room for the buttons and labeling.
Thanks in advance and your installs look GREAT!
You will need to retain the factory dimmer as it dims the interior lights, shift console and AC panel. The NVU dimmer will only work on up to 5 led lit gauges.

Hey All! My car is still in AZ and I'm still working in TX. Just got done re-reading 20 pages of this and before I send my gauges back to NVU had a few questions that were brought up over the course of the thread.
1. Did anyone go ahead and order the clear overlay so there is something between the gauge faces and your fingers? If so, did it work and can you see the gauges?
2. Did you get your dimmer switch from NVU and can you eliminate the factory dimmer? Which leads to question 3.
3. Did anyone get a hold of TR Customs about an overlay for the programming buttons? I'm thinking that if a new overlay was ordered without the slot for the factory dimmer, there would be plenty of room for the buttons and labeling.
Thanks in advance and your installs look GREAT!

I talked with TR. He said that you can get pretty much whatever you want. I am sending mine in to have some additional engraving do. "Trip reset" and I haven't decided what else yet

For those of you that sent ur gauges back do you "need" the dimmer now? Anybody have an opinion on adding the clear laminate? I was thinking of getting a piece of 1/16" lexan. Think that would work out?

I installed my dimmer but haven't wired it in yet. I don't really need it but I know when I was 20 years younger it would have been a necessity.

I am interested in the clear laminate faceplate also.
If you look at the thread "how hard is it to put a digital dash in" in electrical and wiring, pacecarta shows a dash with gauges with a faceplate over it.
I'm gonna order one from NVU and hopefully it'll work out. If not, what's $120 when we're talking TR's;)

If you look at the thread "how hard is it to put a digital dash in" in electrical and wiring, pacecarta shows a dash with gauges with a faceplate over it.
I'm gonna order one from NVU and hopefully it'll work out. If not, what's $120 when we're talking TR's;)

I also posted a pic on a GNX replica that i have that has the plexiglass over it. I was thinking of going the same route you are with it. When you receive it, please post pics of it and after installation. I think I would like my dash better with the faceplate over it.

Thanks!

I also posted a pic on a GNX replica that i have that has the plexiglass over it. I was thinking of going the same route you are with it. When you receive it, please post pics of it and after installation. I think I would like my dash better with the faceplate over it.

Thanks!

I was thinking of getting a piece of 1/16" polycarbonate from Home Depot and putting it between the gauges and the bezel and still using the trim mask. I think the $120 from NVU is quite expensive.

I was thinking of getting a piece of 1/16" polycarbonate from Home Depot and putting it between the gauges and the bezel and still using the trim mask. I think the $120 from NVU is quite expensive.
That's exactly what I was thinking about... Still deciding

Just e-mailed Mark at NVU about the full face plate and returning the gauges for the lighting issue. He recommended pulling the lenses off of the gauges so you wouldn't be looking through 2 sets of lenses. What was REALLY impressive was that he answered my e-mail at 9 am on a Sunday morning. That's some customer service:D

Can the stock oil pressure and water temp sensors be removed?
Yes there are three water temp senders you need to remove the single wire one by the thermostat. The oil sensor is on the side of the block where the oil feed for the turbo is.

The oil sensor can be removed and replaced.
The single wire water temp sensor can be replaced.
The other two water temp sensor remain.

quick question before i start…. does the new Coolant Temp Sensor have the same thread size as the Coolant Idiot Light switch or do i need an adapter? Wanted to double check before i start.

thks
aaron