NVU gauge cluster installation.

Funny you posted this. Having the exact Sam problem. Almost like my speed sensor shaft is slipping or something. Anyone else?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

After some searching, it appears it could be caused by interference from ignition or some other wiring. I routed my wires along the frame rail, up and through firewall into cockpit. Wonder if re-routing would help. Thinking of coming off transmission, up through tunnel underneath console to behind dash. I really don't want to go through this crap again. Which wire would most likely be the culprit, the two wires coming off VSS or the sender wires?

I wonder if wrapping the wire in foil and then putting in plastic conduit would be enough to shield them.

I covered the wiring with Thermo-tech conduit which has an outer layer of foil with a plastic liner. No luck, speedo still goes wacky when the RPMs increase.

Same problem. The sender was hitting the floorpan and causing the little rod that goes into it to bind. I ghanged to a different type sender that has no interference and the problem is greatly reduced but not eliminated.

Prior to the change the needle would jump 10-15 mph now it's 1-3. Still not really acceptable. Had the same problem with the old VDO.

What sender did you use? Mine is jumping about 10-15 mph. I totally agree not really acceptable

Okay, your saying yours was a mechanical issue which I will have to investigate. My senders are touching the floorpan ever so lightly. Maybe while running it tightens up?
I just spent 3 hours moving the wiring from along the frame rail and through the firewall to up through the hole where the shifter cable goes through. this had ZERO effect. The needle jumps around like crazy. At 80mph the needle jumps violently from 60 - 100 back and forth.

What sender did you use? Mine is jumping about 10-15 mph. I totally agree not really acceptable
I had an OLD 2 pulse through sender I used with an OLD VDO sender. The 2 pulse came with an AVC cluster that had a mechanical speedo, 20 years old or so, and the 16 pulse I got with an electric VDO I used to replace the mechanical one when it failed.

I'll take some pictures and post later.

Okay, your saying yours was a mechanical issue which I will have to investigate. My senders are touching the floorpan ever so lightly. Maybe while running it tightens up?
I just spent 3 hours moving the wiring from along the frame rail and through the firewall to up through the hole where the shifter cable goes through. this had ZERO effect. The needle jumps around like crazy. At 80mph the needle jumps violently from 60 - 100 back and forth.
That's what I was told by the folks at NVU and it definitely made a huge improvement when I corrected it but it's still just slightly jumpy.

That's what I had before I changed them. Now they are what's in post 38.

Last edited:
MY JTR sender works fine when monitoring the vehicle speed via scantool. The GM-16 sender is the problem for me.

NVU suggested to me that they "like" the GPS sender I avoided that since its another $200....But I get the same 50 MPH bounce.

NVU suggested to me that they "like" the GPS sender I avoided that since its another $200....But I get the same 50 MPH bounce.
Steve which sender did they suggest? I may go that route because i just recently hooked everything up and am hearing an annoying whine through the speed sender

[i mounted mine in the engine bay- i may have to lubricate it more]

aaron

Last edited:
No particular brand. There are a good many of them out there. I may go this route but I have other fish to fry....

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I recently changed out the rubber transmission mount and it seems to have calmed down a bit. Still not a solid indication but it doesn't annoy me as much

Pulled sender out of transmission. Plugged GM-16 sender into JTR sender, all electrical plugged in. Turned key on. Electric drill holding cable coming out of JTR unit. Spun the drill at varying speeds. No jumpy needle. Drill would run speedo up to 60 mph. Seems like an engagement issue. Pulled JTR and GM-16 out of car.. Inspected fitment of all pieces. GM-16 cable is ever so slightly smaller than factory and JTR cable, .002 smaller to be exact. (Factory cable and JTR measure .100) Test fitment felt a little loose, but not too bad. Wrapped one turn of electrical tape around GM-16 cable and 3/4 turn around JTR cable. Reinstalled everything. Raised rear wheels and ran car. Smooth as silk up to 80 mph. Road test car. While heading out to my calibration spot I drive no more than 60 mph...smooth as silk. Stop for calibration...drive one mile...stop...calibrate. Drive away and needle goes back to jumpy. Cruise control works fine. I have to suspect the GM-16 gauge sender. Ugh...

This is on the way...
Auto Meter 5289 GPS speedo sender.jpg