Rear frame X member?

Made a proto plate. Drilled the holes w/o slotting them. [3/8"] The center hole is 2 1/4" dia. Plate is 1/8" hot rolled.
Here's a couple pics of the plate and it being on the frame.
If I made the inside edge the full length of the plate, it would allow the dr side to be as low as the bottom edge of the frame flange.
Note: The bolt pattern is reversed from the pass side. I am making the plates so there's no R & L. Just flip them over.
The flange on this first set will be tig welded on, as I want to be more accurate than using my plate bender.o_O:D
The bar will be heavy wall 1" sq tube.
The fronts will be the same. All 3 holes will be used. [The 1 pic I saw of another bar, had only 1 bolt in the end...Y/N??]

Maybe, we can get REALLY trick, and employ some stress coat, and see what happens w/ a 25psi launch!:eek:

frame tie bar brkt 001.jpgframe tie bar brkt 002.jpgframe tie bar brkt 003.jpg

I don't know if I would personally want it, if you could see it. That's the main reason I have not done the trailer hitch setup on mine. Would rather have it out of view.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Agreed. I could def. use one of these as I run a glass rear bumper. I'm shocked no one has produced one of these for sale.

Great info/pics Coach! Thanks for taking the time!

I'm going to point 1 thing out Chuck. Before you weld things together put the body back on the frame first. The frame has a lot of flexibility as you know so the bumper mounts may move some and then you'll need to revise things some.;) You could also make a removable mount set up so you could attach a parachute and remove it after you leave the track.:cool:

Hey Chuck, show how you did the brace on the rear cross member so others can see how you did yours.;) I'm sure yours looks better than mine does.:oops:

Or just PM me your dim between frame rails or the bumper mount flanges and I'll double check it with my frames measurement. I know they move, but they have to be somewhat close.

I made a rotisorie bar for the rear of the frame, b4 I took the body off. After the frame was out, and I was going to put it on the roto, I had to use a tie down ratchet, to pull the frame back in...[<1"]
I then tacked a tie bar in, to be sure it stayed put, b4 I rotated it.
I think the 25 yo body mts are a possible source of frame spread, too. Would be nice to have a factory drawing, that shows frame dimensions, like we have on the tri 5 Chevys. NE1 have such??
Coach, I will measure and post the dimensions, ASAP.

This is mine. When you see how big the rear H of the frame is, its common sense that you need something like this. Problem is with welding something straight across you will block the tank if you have to drop it in the future so we came up with a bolt on solution. Welded an 1/8" plate to the frame, and fabbed up the crossbrace with some grade 8 hardware, very beefy.

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg
Hey there, is your car caged? Is it tied to the frame if so? What are your weak spots? If caged, then why reinforce the rear frame. Are you riffraff that the support is gonna drag?

I've got the pics and measurements for a Malibu frame which is slightly shorter I believe Chuck.
malibuframe1A.jpgmalibuframe2A.jpgmalibuframe3A.jpg

If someone wants to make a few brackets I'm in, paypal ready. I'll figure out the tubing and welding on my side.

Thanks

I think the 25 yo body mts are a possible source of frame spread, too. Would be nice to have a factory drawing, that shows frame dimensions, like we have on the tri 5 Chevys. NE1 have such??
Coach, I will measure and post the dimensions, ASAP.

PM Chuck, Charlie

Hey there, is your car caged? Is it tied to the frame if so? What are your weak spots? If caged, then why reinforce the rear frame. Are you riffraff that the support is gonna drag?

I really have no idea how to answer that...

That jacked up word is from autocorrect. Was suppose to be afraid.

Clint

lol, no I have no roll cage, its a street car. It cant drag its above the bumper, in that picture the rear bumper is removed

Hey Chuck, show how you did the brace on the rear cross member so others can see how you did yours.;) I'm sure yours looks better than mine does.:oops:

Here tis!!!

Attachments

• rear frame tie bars 001.jpg
    rear frame tie bars 001.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 496
  • rear frame tie bars 002.jpg
    rear frame tie bars 002.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 508
  • rear frame tie bars 003.jpg
    rear frame tie bars 003.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 514
  • rear frame tie bars 004.jpg
    rear frame tie bars 004.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 495
I just did some tube work on my frame similar to that before i started the notching seemed to really tighten things up!