You can type here any text you want

TA Balancer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboWh1

Anybody running one of these balancers? I have the one that can be ran with an internally or externally balanced engine. The issue that I have is there is only about .025 tolerance between the reluctor ring and the timing cover. The stock balancer has about .075. My thust end play is .004 but the engine is fresh. I would think it might end up being .007-.009 after its broke in but I'm wondering if you guys think that .025 is enough tolerance between the reluctor ring and the cover. There seems to be no interferance between the crank sensor and the reluctor ring.

Im running one Brandon no problems but I dont remember it being that close.Does your pullys line up okay?I would think you would only wear the thrust 001 or 002 if everything is correct

Look to see if the reluctor ring is seated against the hub. It might just need to be tapped on a little more. They are press fit and will slide on with a tap of a piece of tubing that fits over the snout. OR......if it misses.....it's good as-is. Check pulley alignment as stated earlier. Years ago there was a batch of crank gears that were thinner than stock causing problems with stock reluctor rings hitting the timing cover (the bolt boss for the center oil pan bolt) As with EVERYTHING you buy aftermarket, you MUST trial fit everything and check EVERYTHING.

Im running one Brandon no problems but I dont remember it being that close.Does your pullys line up okay?I would think you would only wear the thrust 001 or 002 if everything is correct

Hi Bob! I havn't checked the pullys yet. That was next on my list. I just want to make sure the balancer is correct before I put the engine in the car. I also have a .030 shim I could run but I have the risk of it cracking and falling in the oil pan. I really don't want to run the shim if possible.

Ken I will check the location of the reluctor ring tomorrow night. You are correct EVERYTHING must and has been double and tripple checked!! I really want this engine to last. This is my third go around with engine issues.

Look to see if the reluctor ring is seated against the hub. It might just need to be tapped on a little more. They are press fit and will slide on with a tap of a piece of tubing that fits over the snout. OR......if it misses.....it's good as-is. Check pulley alignment as stated earlier. Years ago there was a batch of crank gears that were thinner than stock causing problems with stock reluctor rings hitting the timing cover (the bolt boss for the center oil pan bolt) As with EVERYTHING you buy aftermarket, you MUST trial fit everything and check EVERYTHING.

Just checked the reluctor ring it is completely seated against the balancer.

The oil slinger is also in place as well.

You could add another oil slinger if needed, too. If your .030" shim is steel it'll act just like the slinger and should be OK. I've run shims in the past with no issues.

You could add another oil slinger if needed, too. If your .030" shim is steel it'll act just like the slinger and should be OK. I've run shims in the past with no issues.

Yes it is a steel shim. I'm sure it will probably be ok to run it, I just don't like to add anything that may cause an issue down the road. In the past, I have had the bolt that holds the balancer on come loose and have always wondered if the shim had anything to do with it. This balancer bolt was even torqued to spec. Luckily I caught it before it came loose and bounced all over my engine compartment.

My T/A balancer/reluctor ring just touches the point on the front cover, Had me worry for a while, Brand new motor was making a crazy noise!!! Just clearanced the front cover a bit and everything is ok!!!

i agree with chris, make sure your pulleys line up ok, then just file/grind a little on the cover to get a little extra clearance.

Bob

.......I really don't want to run the shim if possible. ....

Some of the turbo engines came from the factory with 1, and sometimes 2, shims to space out the ring from the cover.

Some of the off-shore covers need shims, and I have seen a couple of later factory replacement covers that needed shims also.

The spacer washer in a trans go 200-4r shift kit works perfectly as a shim. Just grind a slot for the key and it will slide right over the crank. It's up to the assembler to verify clearances and pulley alignment.

Back