TAI Class for 2008 BG Nationals

Jack, I do not understand what you are trying to say in your last post. Can you be a little clearer?
Thanks, Kip
PS I think your car looks much better when you have matching wheels on it.

ps... I agree, I did have matching ttype wheels back then. The fronts were narrowed and the rears were widened, the car looked pretty stock back then and ran low 9's. Not bad, used BFG DR's and ran 9.50's.... I liked the slicks better, they were more consistent. On that subject.... maybe that is the keyword, consistent... When you speak about the big boyz on DR's, there's more to it than just slapping some DR's on a mustang and running down the track.... lot's of $ in the suspension and combo, lots of time in T$T, and lots of passes where ya just don't get down the track. I personally don't care if we use DR's or slicks, I know I can hook em up and I have a pretty good idea what needs to be done to hook em up.. I still feel better with slicks, at the level I plan to run, I really don't feel like doing the Otto shuffle down the track.. but then if you haven't gone for "the site seeing run" down the track, one would not understand.

Ok, I'm on my second cup of coffee, this is gonna be long, maybe I should just stick a needle in my arm and injest the coffee intravenously... It seems the turbo is the sticking subject, I have been there before in rules discussion for the TSE class before it was renamed TSO. I believed a 76 turbo was the largest turbo anyone should use on a stage 2 street car, others wanted to run 88's... I also believed a 2004r was the only trans that should be used on a street car... with no trans brake, others did not agree with me. I also believed AC should be used on a street car others did not. MY point, I lost, but I was passionate about the rules and at times the discussions got ugly. I didn't change my car, I didn't run the class... who lost? I can look back now and say.... I was the one that lost. I wanted to race, but stuck by my beliefs, the class went on without me. To sum it up, if I had it to do again, from the beginning, I would have run the class, I would have been competitive and could have won some of those races. My fears of not being competitive just did not happen. Today , is a different story, I have been running TSO, I have been competitive and I have even won some races and runnered up in several, not bad.... for having less than the rest. Unfortunately, the last few races, guys have gotten it together and next year in TSO, I will have to make some changes and turn up the wick if I want to be competitive. You ask what does this have to do with TAI.... alot! My point is, for those that don't think they will be competitive, give it a chance, no matter what the limits are, the chances of being competitive are excellent, no matter what the guy next to you has for a combo. I think if you look back here to one of my first posts, I wanted to see no larger than a 70P turbo, figuring that would be competitive with the 67 and 66 turbos... I lobbied for that, but had to settle on the 76. A 76 is not what I want to see, but it's not my call... I'll still race the class no matter what... why... because I want to race.. period. If you guys really want to race this class, race it!!! Bring your best to the class, you will be surprised with the outcome. If a 67 was the largest turbo, can you run 9.90.... thats the bar that has been set by John C and Grumpy.... The fastest I have heard anyone else going on alchy was around 9.50, but I think that was with race gas and alchy.. and a 70GTQ.. can it be done with pump gas? I don't know, maybe... maybe not.... I'm not worried about it and I'm not running a 76 if that is the limit... just like TSO in the past, I believe a smaller turbo is still the ticket. I'm not building a monster motor either... stock stroke motors have run 9.40 and I just don't have the money... or see the need for anything bigger..

As for the rest of the car, I don't care, there are lots of street cars with and without AC, everyone has their own idea of what a street car is. The bottom line, we need cars, with or withour AC... My son is building a car to drive on the street, he removed the AC for his own reasons... he narrowed the frame rails for a bigger tire, he's putting a roll cage in for safety and again for safety, he wants to put in race seats... does that mean it's not a street car? Maybe not to some, but from the standpoint of being his father, I want all the protection for him I can get. At the performance level we build our street cars to today, these are all areas that need to be addressed... I've seen the results of a bad situation... it ain't pretty. Your 10 second car was not designed from the factory to run like it does now.

Ok, I'm done... have to get to work, please understand I am only trying to share my experiences racing in Buick classes..... not trying to knock anyone around, just hope that some can understand where I am coming from.. There was one more thing and I forgot it already... maybe I'll remember later and add it in.. gotta run.. Happy Holidays..

No I'm sure that they have plenty stock!!! But most people don't have the extra funding to buy a bigger turbo. I was under the impression that this was supposed to be street class. Most street cars have 70mm or smaller turbo. myself included. I'd have a chance in heads up with a 67 or under. I was hoping that this class would remain a cheaper Heads up class. There are already a lot of high dollar heads up class that most people can't afford to race in. We really don't need another high dollar class.

It looks like you are new to heads up racing... there is no such thing as a cheap heads up class... someone will spend the money to win the class.. you can bet on it. But... that doesn't always happen.. the winning part. Now if it was a bracket class... money spent means nothing.. everyone has a fair chance to win. That was the last point in my previous thread I wanted to make. For those that don'twant to run a bracket class, maybe we can just split up the field with a Q-8 class and heads up.. the rest can then run heads up in the second class. Now I'm sure the guy with a 44 is not going to like it... but who really and truly here plans to go to BG and run in this class?

I want to race it and have no interest in bracket as stated. My point Jack was I want to race heads up even if I get kicked in the teeth, but the way it was looking I wasn't going to make the Q8 and would be stuck bracket racing. Course if there's only 6 cars I'm safe.

Also while I'm on here I'll say this too.

I think we are screwing up with this class, I think it either needs to be a street car class with a 70 limit, AC, maybe DOT tires (I could go either way here), Full interior, ect. OR a balls to the wall Stage 2 Alky Outlaw class or even 2 classes 1 for each (I realize this might be hard to accomplish all in one winter, just saying what I think would be best). I think the 109 with a 76 is kind of a weird move, the 76 is more race car, but we're worried about the block??

So there you go, I hope you guys at least consider this. If it's a balls out race car class then I will have fun watching if it's a street car class I will run it assuming it's heads up.

I want to race it and have no interest in bracket as stated. My point Jack was I want to race heads up even if I get kicked in the teeth, but the way it was looking I wasn't going to make the Q8 and would be stuck bracket racing. Course if there's only 6 cars I'm safe.

Collin, check out my above post.... 2 classes... both heads up...

I am not making the rules only commeting since I would like to race. Although I am losing interest because of the bickering which is one of the reasons I quit a long time ago. FIrst of all where was it written that this was a "street" class. I missed that "rule", as far as I know it was turbo alky/pump gas. Drag radials are fine like Jack I have no problem hooking them up but I can take a car with stock suspension and a good set of tires and shocks and go 1.4X 60's. I can also do it with drag radials but I have to spend some money. Turbos today, the biggest 3 bolt you can buy right now (from PTE, jack or limit may have something) is the new 70HPQ this has gone low nines in TSM already. The 76 is not even offered since there is such a mismatch in wheel size (you can buy a 4788 3 bolt, they have a few housings) I suppose you could get a 4776 built on that housing or go 4 bolt. The 67 and 70 turbos have by far been the most popular in the last couple years. If this is the true point of problems make the limit a 70 or a 67. No matter what you pick someone is going to have the wrong part anyway. Like it or not this is a 9 sec class guys Grumpy proved that already with a 67 turbo. Lets make a choice, and get the GSCA to buy in so we can have a little fun.
Mike

How about this??

Any 3 bolt turbo
"275" D/R only
109/140 block
93 pump gas
alky/nitrous
weight 3550 aluminum /3400 iron

Why do there have to be so many rules? Aren't there enough cookie cutter classes allready? This should be a showcase for what can be done on pump gas & alky. Run what you brung & hope you brought enough for the Quick 8. Then reward the most consistant cars in the 10 sec, 11 sec & 12's over a 3 run average.

Simple rules.... SAME gas, Max tire size & vehicle weight.

My vote:

Any turbo up to 70 MM compressor less that 103MM exducer (makes the BW wheel legal)
ANY D/R up to 295 or ANY slick up to 10.5 sidewall no "w" tires
109/140 block
93 pump gas (how to tech?)
alky/nitrous (anything goes)

My vote:

Any turbo up to 70 MM compressor less that 103MM exducer (makes the BW wheel legal)
109/140 block

I can live with that :biggrin: I am really curious how many will actually show up!!! sounds like a good time @ BG :biggrin:

No I'm sure that they have plenty stock!!! But most people don't have the extra funding to buy a bigger turbo. I was under the impression that this was supposed to be street class. Most street cars have 70mm or smaller turbo. myself included. I'd have a chance in heads up with a 67 or under. I was hoping that this class would remain a cheaper Heads up class. There are already a lot of high dollar heads up class that most people can't afford to race in. We really don't need another high dollar class.

A normal journal p trim 76 is wayyyy wayyy cheaper than a ball bearing 67 with a Q trim wheel.

This is a heads up pump gas class. Cars will be street driven and must meet that criteria. If we limit the turbo's to 61 MM.. then only high dollar exotic ball bearing 61 mm turbo's will be used by those serious in the class.

Nothing cheap about trailering a car cross country to race at an event. The turbo in essense, is one of the cheapest components.. Those that race their cars will agree with this statement. If your car runs low 10's.. you will be super competitive.. if not, you still can run in the other portion of the class or bracket program run at BG.

Thanks for your support, hope to see you there.

My vote:

109/140 block

I'm in no matter how big the turbo is, and remember the bigger the turbo the longer it takes to spool,and some my say they can catch you on the big end with a bigger unit BUT BIGGER ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

guy's,i will be there and plan on racing,we will ge bringing two cars,my 49 car and a stocker.let's get these rules done and get to the more important part,fun and racing!

Also while I'm on here I'll say this too.

I think we are screwing up with this class, I think it either needs to be a street car class with a 70 limit, AC, maybe DOT tires (I could go either way here), Full interior, ect. OR a balls to the wall Stage 2 Alky Outlaw class or even 2 classes 1 for each (I realize this might be hard to accomplish all in one winter, just saying what I think would be best). I think the 109 with a 76 is kind of a weird move, the 76 is more race car, but we're worried about the block??

So there you go, I hope you guys at least consider this. If it's a balls out race car class then I will have fun watching if it's a street car class I will run it assuming it's heads up.

Collin,
I dont want to tech turbo's on cars. I dont want to tech cars period. Guess I have too.. but lets keep the field level. I want to have fun watching you guys race. I set the 76MM rule so I didnt have to tech turbo's. Cuase I know nobody is buying 76's.. How bout if I say 75MM is the limit. Since this turbo doesnt exist, does this makes my/your life easier.

I think a 67 Q trim with an 85 housing is way bigger turbo than a 70 P trim on a garret 63 housing... See it all adds quibbling.. I dont want a stupid turbo rule... You think you can spool a 125MM turbo on a 109.. lets see it ;)

How bout this.. A guy runs 9.4 on pump gas with a widget XXX plutonium turbo.. wouldnt you want to know this type of information? So the way to learn what really makes the car fast is allow it all.. let creativity.. the heart of Hot Rodding shine in the ability to make power and all of us learn. This is the jist of pump gas and alcohol injection.. We may just learn that smaller is faster.. but that is why there is a payout to have cars brought from everywhere.

Hope to see you there racing... if your on your game.. you'll do well... worse case is you race your car down the track.. and at the end of the day.. say you raced at the Nats.. that in itself is priceless :)

And have competed in a controversial class :D

Great posts guys.. Jack and Mike.. Thanks for your continued support

ps... I agree, I did have matching ttype wheels back then. The fronts were narrowed and the rears were widened, the car looked pretty stock back then and ran low 9's. Not bad, used BFG DR's and ran 9.50's.... I liked the slicks better, they were more consistent. On that subject.... maybe that is the keyword, consistent... When you speak about the big boyz on DR's, there's more to it than just slapping some DR's on a mustang and running down the track.... lot's of $ in the suspension and combo, lots of time in T$T, and lots of passes where ya just don't get down the track. I personally don't care if we use DR's or slicks, I know I can hook em up and I have a pretty good idea what needs to be done to hook em up.. I still feel better with slicks, at the level I plan to run, I really don't feel like doing the Otto shuffle down the track.. but then if you haven't gone for "the site seeing run" down the track, one would not understand.

I agree it costs way more money to make a drag radial car work consistantly.. that is why my vote on the slicks. If everyone puts on slicks.. the whole field is 100% level. If someone wants to show others how its done on Radials.. I say awesome.... more power to ya.

But it is way more entertaining and fun to pull up to the line after waiting 4 hours to race and not blow your run becuase the "track prep wasnt there".

How about any 29x10 size tire. That way guys with 16, 17, 18 inch wheels fit the class?

I agree it costs way more money to make a drag radial car work consistantly.. that is why my vote on the slicks. If everyone puts on slicks.. the whole field is 100% level. If someone wants to show others how its done on Radials.. I say awesome.... more power to ya.

But it is way more entertaining and fun to pull up to the line after waiting 4 hours to race and not blow your run becuase the "track prep wasnt there".

How about any 29x10 size tire. That way guys with 16, 17, 18 inch wheels fit the class?

well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My vote:

109/140 block

This sounds very reasonable. The only thing that confuses me on this is why are we keeping it to only stock type blocks?? I mean if the class is this open only worried about weight, turbo, and pump gas mainly then who cares if it's a stage 1, or even a stage 2. Only thing you are really adding is less worries about splitting a block in half, no real power gains I know of.

Collin,
I dont want to tech turbo's on cars. I dont want to tech cars period. Guess I have too.. but lets keep the field level. I want to have fun watching you guys race. I set the 76MM rule so I didnt have to tech turbo's. Cuase I know nobody is buying 76's.. How bout if I say 75MM is the limit. Since this turbo doesnt exist, does this makes my/your life easier.

I think a 67 Q trim with an 85 housing is way bigger turbo than a 70 P trim on a garret 63 housing... See it all adds quibbling.. I dont want a stupid turbo rule... You think you can spool a 125MM turbo on a 109.. lets see it ;)

How bout this.. A guy runs 9.4 on pump gas with a widget XXX plutonium turbo.. wouldnt you want to know this type of information? So the way to learn what really makes the car fast is allow it all.. let creativity.. the heart of Hot Rodding shine in the ability to make power and all of us learn. This is the jist of pump gas and alcohol injection.. We may just learn that smaller is faster.. but that is why there is a payout to have cars brought from everywhere.

Hope to see you there racing... if your on your game.. you'll do well... worse case is you race your car down the track.. and at the end of the day.. say you raced at the Nats.. that in itself is priceless :)

And have competed in a controversial class :D

Great posts guys.. Jack and Mike.. Thanks for your continued support

I kinda sorta see what you're saying, I want to be there too...Even though I'm gonna get beat up on by some 9 sec. cars.