You can type here any text you want

Time to go stage II with A/C!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
This is correct, I am always experimenting with things, even though it may not be the easiest way. Next step is to take a module and measure the current though the crank and cam sensors and see what the calculated value of the pull up resistor works out to be in theory..I know the 2.2k should work for the crank, but not sure on the cam sensor. Brandon thanks for the offer, but I have someone closer is going to help me out, but I have a feeling I might solve it with the resistors..

Norbs,

When you get this all figured out, you will have to summarize your issues and fixes. This thread is so long I'm lossing track.
Allan G.

I should have some progress over the weekend...Allan once I figure it out I'll post a summary..

That video of the stock crank sensor, looks like the signal is clean. I didn't remember reading that you tired the stock crank sensor with the cam sensor unplugged like Cal suggested? If you did what was the result?

Brandon

That video of the stock crank sensor, looks like the signal is clean. I didn't remember reading that you tired the stock crank sensor with the cam sensor unplugged like Cal suggested? If you did what was the result?

Brandon

The XFI fires on the rising edge of the signal, that signal is round which is not good, which maybe the root of my problem, now the cam sensor I never measured, but I assume it also needs a pull up resistor, maybe that signal is a mess also. Never got to the step of unplugging the cam sensor, but its on list of things to try..

norbs said:
The XFI fires on the rising edge of the signal, that signal is round which is not good, which maybe the root of my problem, now the cam sensor I never measured, but I assume it also needs a pull up resistor, maybe that signal is a mess also. Never got to the step of unplugging the cam sensor, but its on list of things to try..

How about a stock ignition module on the list of things to try?

I'm not sure what the exact voltage that the fast box would consider the start of the signal. I know in other manufactures ecm's that the signals are usually cleaned up within the ecm. Your right adding a pull up resistor will raise the leading voltage up. Even without adding the pull up resistor I would like to see what happens with the cam unplugged.

I think Norbs said back a bit that he removed the ccci connector and made his own harness. I also have a ccci pigtail here if you want to try it out Norbs.

Brandon.

87turbot-type said:
I'm not sure what the exact voltage that the fast box would consider the start of the signal. I know in other manufactures ecm's that the signals are usually cleaned up within the ecm. Your right adding a pull up resistor will raise the leading voltage up. Even without adding the pull up resistor I would like to see what happens with the cam unplugged.

I think Norbs said back a bit that he removed the ccci connector and made his own harness. I also have a ccci pigtail here if you want to try it out Norbs.

Brandon.

Ya I told him I'd send him my harness to try of he wanted

How about a stock ignition module on the list of things to try?
This is in process, i have to re-wire it inside the car, I have no room for the module in the engine bay.

The templates are designed to port to the maxium limits without any breaking through into walls as you talking about.
FYI -
I actually had to find this from page 2. I used the iron templates against my aluminum heads and found that they match the iron port size. The aluminum template had significant gap on one side.
Allan G.

Buick Heads (10).JPG

Wow Allan, that is quite interesting, thanks for taking the time to do your testing. If I ever get this thing to run, it may have some good potential..:) Too bad the irons have a bad reputation in the Buick community though.

Wow Allan, that is quite interesting, thanks for taking the time to do your testing. If I ever get this thing to run, it may have some good potential..:) Too bad the irons have a bad reputation in the Buick community though.

Not sure why irons have bad reputation. Maybe because the aluminums are more easily available.

Allan G.

Not sure why irons have bad reputation. Maybe because the aluminums are more easily available.

Allan G.

Jay was stating they have head gasket sealing problems with them, but I don;t know the details.

Update, put the stock module in its fixed...timing is out 7 degree's on balancer. To summarize things, here is the list of mistakes..

1. I did not know I needed pull up resistors on the stock cam and crank sensors if you dont use an ignition module, this is why I could not hold any timing steady. This is not mentioned anywhere in any instructions on the XFI.
2. My aftermarket crank trigger wheel was junk the magnets are too weak to get a good signal this is why the holley sensor and msd sensor did not work properly.

Here is the latest scope of crank and cam signal. Cam sync shows 93 degrees right now. on my xfi logs.

Norbs glad you got it fixed but what happened to the original post of installed the stock module and it didn't work?

I'd like to see what Cal has to say about needing a pull up resistor in the system for it to work. I can see from the video you have there that the signal is more squared off. Let us know if you switch back install the resistors and everything still works. I was having an issue with my resistors so I only have one on my crank signal for now.

Brandon.

So I'm assuming its 7 degrees thoughout the RPM range ? Sounds like this is a major breakthrough. Now you have a baseline where everything works you can work back to the distributer set-up. Sounds like there were to many variables with the bad signal and weak magnets to sort things out correctly.

Allan G.

Back