You can type here any text you want

Time to go stage II with A/C!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Do you have flow numbers for .100" lift? The low lift flow numbers seem a bit high. An agressive lift for the duration, and 1.71 rocker ratio? You should upgrade to the latest version EAP. It allows you to enter the compressor map of the turbo for better accuracy. Also, 70% efficiency on the turbine housing? This is a T4, right? The flow numbers you're using for your heads don't appear to be realistic. Too much curvature in the graph.

I think I got those head flow numbers originally from Allans heads and subtracted 30%.
Yes its a T4 turbine efficiency is 74% from the garrett site, and Yes I am using 1.71 rockers. I just -re did all the intake flow numbers from the power source book at 40" and I still get Peak HP at 7500 RPM........893 rhp with 20 degrees timing ,not 24, for 35 psi boost.

When you've finished playing around with the parameters, post up the new file for me.

I think I got those head flow numbers originally from Allans heads and subtracted 30%.
Yes its a T4 turbine efficiency is 74% from the garrett site, and Yes I am using 1.71 rockers. I just -re did all the intake flow numbers from the power source book at 40" and I still get Peak HP at 7500 RPM........893 rhp with 20 degrees timing ,not 24, for 35 psi boost.

I actually have some faith in those flow numbers since the bench they were done on had flowed other heads that were confirmed on other flow benches. I also had my 460 Ford Jet Boat heads flowed on that same bench and they actually were almost exactly what Edelbrock had advertised. My aluminum heads have the same port areas as the power source Iron templates. Just something to think about.
Are you comparing the flow numbers at the same test pressures ?
Allan G.

I actually have some faith in those flow numbers since the bench they were done on had flowed other heads that were confirmed on other flow benches. I also had my 460 Ford Jet Boat heads flowed on that same bench and they actually were almost exactly what Edelbrock had advertised. My aluminum heads have the same port areas as the power source Iron templates. Just something to think about.
Are you comparing the flow numbers at the same test pressures ?
Allan G.
28 inches. Yes.
The flow numbers seem high at the low lifts. I sure would like to have a .100" lift figure. Even the program is coming up with a warning that the calculated flow coefficients are abnormally high at the low lifts.

Incorrect flow numbers at the low lifts would add greatly to the area under the curve for any calcs.

Incorrect flow numbers at the low lifts would add greatly to the area under the curve for any calcs.

Keep in mind when looking at the cam specs in your simulations that the duration s at least 3 degrees lower in duration at advertised (.015 or .020) and at .050. I've looked at several Comp Cams lobes with the hopes of predicting cam shrinkage and found very inconsistant results.
Allan G.

Keep in mind when looking at the cam specs in your simulations that the duration s at least 3 degrees lower in duration at advertised (.015 or .020) and at .050. I've looked at several Comp Cams lobes with the hopes of predicting cam shrinkage and found very inconsistant results.
Allan G.
That would be another nice thing to have. A detailed cam file on the camshaft that Norbs is using. Norbs and I are simply entering in the very basic parameters of the cam, and the program is coming up with its own estimations for the lobe profiles. The sim will accept a detailed cam file, but someone would have to come up with it, first.
I am using a detailed cam file for all the calcs I do on my own build.

The sim does calculate bending and changes in expected lifts and durations. Rocker arm stiffness can be tested for and entered into the sim.

The engine sim will accept a Cam Doctor file, if someone can put one together for Norbs' camshaft.

With the earlier specs that Norbs posted, at 35 psi boost, using the upgraded EAP Pro, I'm getting the same peak power rpm as Norbs. 7500 rpm.

The powercurve can change as more detail of the parameters are brought into focus, and Norbs parameters are missing A LOT of detail.

The engine sim will accept a Cam Doctor file, if someone can put one together for Norbs' camshaft.

I have an excel file with detailed lobe lift per every 2 degrees for that particular lobe. Data was taken from another cam we were using to collect data.
Allan G.

I have an excel file with detailed lobe lift per every 2 degrees for that particular lobe. Data was taken from another cam we were using to collect data.
Allan G.
That would work. I can enter the data into my cam analyzer, make a file, and then use that file in the EAP sim. Would the same lobe be used for intake and exhaust? They're not always the same. Especially with the different control needs of the intake and exhaust using an aggressive lift to duration cam lobe.

That would work. I can enter the data into my cam analyzer, make a file, and then use that file in the EAP sim. Would the same lobe be used for intake and exhaust? They're not always the same. Especially with the different control needs of the intake and exhaust using an aggressive lift to duration cam lobe.
According to Norb's cam card they are the same profile. You will have to take the lobe information and offset the numbers to get you the appropriate opening based on he installed CL, then duplicate the exhaust lobe at its appropriate opening.
Allan G.

OK, see if you can open this.
Allan G.

Attachments

Thanks Guys for working the numbers, but as Donnie says I did leave out a lot of details, since I just don;t have the data...

Allen. Norbs says you also have the original flow numbers for his heads?
Norbs Do you have a compressor map for your turbo?

Under Mike's instructions I added a "wack" timing it in and leaned it out, maybe too much, but here are the results...But my knock box is starting to light up..but the fast is not picking anything up for knock.

40 timing spool copy.JPG

For those who want to see the full log here is the file.

Attachments

Glad to see some progress. Looks very promising. I think the converter could be a tad bit looser .

AG

Back