You can type here any text you want

Time to go stage II with A/C!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Presently not doing any changes right now, just trying to get the battery in the trunk and the oil cooler plumbed. I agree its best to see the dyno HP/rpm curve before making any assumptions of best rpm range. I think I'm closer to 4000 lbs weight as it sits with me in it.....:mad:

battery terminals.jpg
Update, oil cooler lines are installed, next is the under hood remote battery terminal posts and combined AC accumulator mount.

Doing some reading on hp/rpm vs air flow vs cubic inch............seems peak hp based on cyl flow will occur between 8200-8800 rpm, if I had a 4.1 this would be 7600 rpm based on 300cfm head flow.....

Doing some reading on hp/rpm vs air flow vs cubic inch............seems peak hp based on cyl flow will occur between 8200-8800 rpm, if I had a 4.1 this would be 7600 rpm based on 300cfm head flow.....

From two posts earlier:

I agree its best to see the dyno HP/rpm curve before making any assumptions of best rpm range.

You're starting to remind me of another guy. To heck with theory and sims. Your car is already running. One trip to the dyno will answer a LOT of questions. I tried to explain to him the benefits of putting it on the dyno, but he never did either.

From two posts earlier:

You're starting to remind me of another guy. To heck with theory and sims. Your car is already running. One trip to the dyno will answer a LOT of questions. I tried to explain to him the benefits of putting it on the dyno, but he never did either.
When I put my car on Ottos dyno I uncovered issues I never thought I would have. Was well worth the two trips, the initial dyno then the second after a few weeks of fixing stuff. Made my first 8 second pass going to the track only once.
Allan G.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I would suggest Cal takes the family on a little vacation to Toronto, and at the same time tune the small line up of local stage II cars.......while the wife is out shopping..........

I like your thinking, except for having Holly go shopping ;) I don't know if I want to go backwards that much. And I damn sure, don't want her drinking any of your Canadian beer! I'll be in the Detroit area the first week of June and Syracuse a month or so later. My Canadian geography isn't that good, so I don't know if those are to far away.

Here this might help, if you take I-90 its about 4 hours away, or 250 miles.
route.jpg

From two posts earlier:

Because I was able to get by without the dyno. Plus, it's always interesting to see how far sims and calculators have come.
Now there are devices that can be permanently mounted on the car to give torque readings without the need of a chassis dyno. Isn't progress amazing.

And NOW we have the !!Theorist VS Practitioner!!
How about a theorist who lays it all out and backs up his theories with timeslips. Now that is something that really peaks my interest. Most are simply too lazy or uninterested in learning how to work a sim that would result in a performance prediction of their hard work. Most might not be interested in maybe coming up with a prediction that they might not be able to back up once they finally took the car to the track. Some would most likely find that to be an embarrassing situation.
I hold a lot of respect for those that would pursue simulator science to hopefully better understand their combination or look for ways to better improve it. It definitely is not for everyone. But to criticize a person who is taking the effort to improve their understanding of how things work just seems so schoolyard to me.
Norbs will back up his research when he's ready. I, for one, am very interested to see how his numbers compare.

Norbs you have so much "out of the box" theories going on that is way different than most combos. That is not a bad thing by any means but when you break new ground, you encounter different problems. Not to mention you are expecting street manners out of an 8 second screaming b!tch of a motor.

This is my own opinion so everyone can say what they want.

You will have to find where max torque is with this motor and the cam will push that higher in the rpm range. Every cam I have ever tried always did one thing, it moved peak torque higher in the rpm range. 212, 218, 224, 236 and 242 all did it. You could see peak torque at 3400 rpm to 4800 rpm.

Find where peak torque is and then get a converter built to those specs. That is where you will be having problems because you will need a stall speed of 4500 ( guessing ) and it still has to couple ( Bisons fav word ) up to 7500 rpms. Don is the only guy I know running those kinds of rpms and look at what he has gone through with his combo.

I am very interested to see how all of this works because a lot of us are living vicariuosly through you doing this project.

Throw it on a dyno with Cal so you can take out the guesswork and get some real world data on what you have done. I am certainly interested to see what your car will do.

Throw it on a dyno with Cal so you can take out the guesswork and get some real world data on what you have done. I am certainly interested to see what your car will do.

About the only way you will see peak torque is on an engine dyno. It's hard to load the engine down hard enough without accelerating the engine (i.e. max boost at low rpm). The convertor stall will almost always be above peak torque.

How about a theorist who lays it all out and backs up his theories with timeslips. Now that is something that really peaks my interest. Most are simply too lazy or uninterested in learning how to work a sim that would result in a performance prediction of their hard work. Most might not be interested in maybe coming up with a prediction that they might not be able to back up once they finally took the car to the track. Some would most likely find that to be an embarrassing situation.

I wouldn't call it lazy, just practical. How many times have you had to adjust your sim over the years because it didn't match what you saw at the track? Garbage in- garbage out. Of course I spend more time using a dyno and at the race track so my opinion would be biased compared to someone who uses a computer program more. To each his own.

I found it funny that I tried to explain to you the benefits of going to the dyno and you wouldn't but then you suggested it to Norbs.

Donnie: Are you available later this afternoon? I'm in town and would enjoy stopping by your shop. I was at Duttweiler's Thursday and had a great time

I wouldn't call it lazy, just practical. How many times have you had to adjust your sim over the years because it didn't match what you saw at the track? Garbage in- garbage out. Of course I spend more time using a dyno and at the race track so my opinion would be biased compared to someone who uses a computer program more. To each his own.

I found it funny that I tried to explain to you the benefits of going to the dyno and you wouldn't but then you suggested it to Norbs.

Donnie: Are you available later this afternoon? I'm in town and would enjoy stopping by your shop. I was at Duttweiler's Thursday and had a great time
I can be. What time do you think you might be around?

I am tuning the propane powered cars at Pomona today. It depends on how many rounds we go. The event is scheduled to end at 6:30. Hopefully we are in it to the end.

I am tuning the propane powered cars at Pomona today. It depends on how many rounds we go. The event is scheduled to end at 6:30. Hopefully we are in it to the end.
Well, you probably won't be able to make it down this way today then, unless you're planning on something around 10:00 pm.

Depending on your particular cam/engine combination, you should be able to see where peak torque is by looking at the rpm point, regardless of the MAP, where fuel demand (fuel map) flattens out, or noses over. That will be peak torque, and you don't need a dyno to see it. Some cams will show this in the fuel map much more clearly than others.

Sorry I couldn't make it today, Donnie.

Like I posted earlier, you probably won't see it unless you're on an engine dyno. At peak boost, the convertor will stall above the peak torque value. On the fuel map, I almost always see my largest ve numbers where the convertor drops to on the shift. Based on what I've seen on an engine dyno, the numbers are even larger art lower rpm's

How do you see the VE numbers? Aren't those numbers manually inputted? Are you able to monitor VE or is it based on calculation?
Sorry for the green questions.

Back