You can type here any text you want

Time to go stage II with A/C!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I'd like to see your car back itself out of the garage first before I make a statement :)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Once I get the battery back in it runs fine, and yes reverse works too.. Next question do you also agree that my power band will only be from 5000-6400 rpm then it will fall on its face?

Once I get the battery back in it runs fine, and yes reverse works too.. Next question do you also agree that my power band will only be from 5000-6400 rpm then it will fall on its face?

They said that about by 212/212 and I bang the rev limiter at 6400 in a blink of an eye

Just because the power band may be lower than you expect doesn't mean it's not an 8 second combo. I personally think the engine could do it but also depends on a lot of other factors.
AG

What it does mean is you need to build around your appropriate rpm range.
AG

In other words the 4.10's + overdrive are probably not a good idea.
AG

In other words the 4.10's + overdrive are probably not a good idea.
AG

Can we get a spread sheet of the shift rpm drop per gear to prove this theory? I really don;t see anything wrong with a 3.23 equivalent gear at the top end? Everyone says turbos like Load, that is load...at the top..

Can we get a spread sheet of the shift rpm drop per gear to prove this theory? I really don;t see anything wrong with a 3.23 equivalent gear at the top end? Everyone says turbos like Load, that is load...at the top..

I don't think the turbo cares once its spooled up

What RPM do you want to see in each gear? I am planning on running eights this year. I want at least 152mph. The regular combination of TH400, converter slipping less than 8%, 3:42 gear, and 28" tires should go through the traps appox 6300 - 6500rpm. So why not get it done in that rpm range?

Last year when I went 154mph with everything you listed, I went through at 6800rpm (9.5"PTC spec'd by Dusty). Mind you my 60foots were terrible, but I can see more rpm with a better 60 foot out the back door. I can't see a 8sec Buick with those specs doing 152mph at 6300-6500rpm through the traps. IMO you have to stretch the legs out in 3rd to get it done, unless your car is a mid 8sec car and your taking a easy pass to get 8.90's.

What RPM do you want to see in each gear? I am planning on running eights this year. I want at least 152mph. The regular combination of TH400, converter slipping less than 8%, 3:42 gear, and 28" tires should go through the traps appox 6300 - 6500rpm. So why not get it done in that rpm range?

Just for reference,
1-2 shift 6805-6438 367 rpm drop
2-3 shift 7395-6309 1086 rpm drop
Crossing line at about 6778 rpm

My 2-3 shift was way late on this pass

AG

turbobitt said:
Solid 230 Norbs profile vs 224 hyd. What one has potential to make more power do you think ? Also keep in mind that these are both lobe lifts without lash consideration on the solid.

That red one looks familiar :) I'll bet it has mid 9 sec potential on 93/alky. It's been 153mph already that I know of and 28" slick (tire growth unknown) with mid 3's ring and pinion.

Last year when I went 154mph with everything you listed, I went through at 6800rpm (9.5"PTC spec'd by Dusty). Mind you my 60foots were terrible, but I can see more rpm with a better 60 foot out the back door. I can't see a 8sec Buick with those specs doing 152mph at 6300-6500rpm through the traps. IMO you have to stretch the legs out in 3rd to get it done, unless your car is a mid 8sec car and your taking a easy pass to get 8.90's.

So how is 154 MPH not 8's territory?High 8's but 8's

The TCI calculator says 6700 for 153 at 6% slip, or 6800 for 152 at 8% slip. Either way I hope to muscle to whatever the RPM is required in 3rd to reach 152mph.

GNDriven said:
So how is 154 MPH not 8's territory?High 8's but 8's

The TCI calculator says 6700 for 153 at 6% slip, or 6800 for 152 at 8% slip. Either way I hope to muscle to whatever the RPM is required in 3rd to reach 152mph.
Who's to say racers aren't using 3.20ish ring and pinion? Depending on the combo it may be required. The 153mph example I gave was with a 5 disk vig. I know others have been that fast with a 9.5" PTC and very similar hyd roller. The converter was pretty tight comparatively to what most would use. Rear gear/converter needs to be adjusted if the mass flow is increased or the engine rpm will be too high. 154 is solidly 7sec mph

Why so much focus on maximizing finish line RPM, it has nothing to do with ET. Think about it, what is more inportant the first part of the track or the last.

Lets say you have a high rpm combo and need. 4.10 to cross the stripe at peak rpm. But with a 2.48 first, you'll have to kill a bunch of power to make the car leave without killing the tires. Swap that rear gear to a 3.50 to kill some of the off the line ratio, you may cross the line with less rpm but you can leave at full power. Which one would ET better?

Norbs, what does your car weigh? You have an awful lot of gadgets and stuff under the hood. It can't be light. Power isn't everything.

Norbs, what does your car weigh? You have an awful lot of gadgets and stuff under the hood. It can't be light. Power isn't everything.

AC
TH400
Ford 9"
Stereo system
Gear Vendors
StageII with all forged internals
And lots of toys to boot..........
My guess is close to 3,900 with him in it if not more. Power is everything to Norbs in order for him to get this heavy weight down the track. He might play the part of a novice from time to time, but he is a very smart cookie. Eventually Norbs will get it done, but it's gotta be done his way.

Norbs,
I don't want you to get the impression that I don't think you can get there but I think the original discussion was about the 4.10 vs 3.50 gears combined with his shift rpm and powerband. If it were me, I would say its about time you put you freeze any more changes to the combination and get some track time or at the very least spend some time on a chassis dyno. You will be amazed at what you can learn on a chassis dyno.

If it matters, My best guess would be to start with shift points around 6800 with his current cam and see where it goes and stick with the current gearing.
Allan G.

I would say its about time you put you freeze any more changes to the combination and get some track time or at the very least spend some time on a chassis dyno....

I'm with you on that.

Back