You can type here any text you want

Time to go stage II with A/C!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I assumed there would be no need to carry extra tires. I assumed you would run drag radials. :)

Looking good norbs, can't wait to see more of this car.

Me too, but testing seat of pants feel at low speed it does not feel very fast, can;t even spin the radial off idle...looking into co2 injection at turbine as an option.

Me too, but testing seat of pants feel at low speed it does not feel very fast, can;t even spin the radial off idle...looking into co2 injection at turbine as an option.

I think your expecting way to much. I can't remember the last time my car spun the tires off-idle. That engine won't come alive until it hits 4500-5000 rpm.
Allan G.

I think your expecting way to much. I can't remember the last time my car spun the tires off-idle. That engine won't come alive until it hits 4500-5000 rpm.
Allan G.
I guess your right, so my only option is to change converter and gear, so it won;t slip at highway speeds as much, my cruise rpm will have to be 3000 rpm, which i guess is still drivable?

Check this out with c02..

If off idle tire burning performance is what your looking for than I would put a small No2 kit like Donnie suggested and be done with it. The 4.10 will comprimise the rest of the combination plus the No2 will work for any combination should you decide to change things up later.
Allan G.

Let's think about this for a minute. You have basiclly stock cubic inches, much bigger heads, much bigger turbo, bigger charge pipes, bigger intercooler, much bigger cam, you want to cruise down the road at 2600 rpm and you think it should light the tires up from a 1000 rpm idle.......You have built one of the most lag prone combo's you could possibly put together. You should have built a 400+ci V8;) Or something with a blower on it. I have a customer with a 2003 cobra, twin turbo's blowing through a stock blower.....it's the definition of throttle response.

Turbo cars don't race from an idle. They need rpm to make boost, boost makes torque. The only way to get tire smoking torque from an idle with this motor is nitrous. Gears may make it feel more responsive from a stop light but again, no turbo car is fast from a dead idle. You brake torque them to as much rpm as you can hold, then you get tire smoke.

A 274ci motor with a smallish cam, mild Gn1 heads and a 71mm turbo would have a hard time smoking the tires from an idle.

Let's think about this for a minute. You have basiclly stock cubic inches, much bigger heads, much bigger turbo, bigger charge pipes, bigger intercooler, much bigger cam, you want to cruise down the road at 2600 rpm and you think it should light the tires up from a 1000 rpm idle.......You have built one of the most lag prone combo's you could possibly put together. You should have built a 400+ci V8;) Or something with a blower on it. I have a customer with a 2003 cobra, twin turbo's blowing through a stock blower.....it's the definition of throttle response.

Turbo cars don't race from an idle. They need rpm to make boost, boost makes torque. The only way to get tire smoking torque from an idle with this motor is nitrous. Gears may make it feel more responsive from a stop light but again, no turbo car is fast from a dead idle. You brake torque them to as much rpm as you can hold, then you get tire smoke.

A 274ci motor with a smallish cam, mild Gn1 heads and a 71mm turbo would have a hard time smoking the tires from an idle.

I agree X10
AG

I understand the concept of a turbo car, I'm just a little dissapointed in the torque , ive driven a 274 with gn 1 heads and 74 turbo and its way snapier at low speeds compared to mine, and spins the tires like nothing, but at least mine should spin the tires at a 10-20 mph role....Nos will get me into trouble, co2 won;t I';m thinkking..

OK, lets change the subject, spent today getting the new oil cooler mounted.............

oil cooler.jpg

If off idle tire burning performance is what your looking for than I would put a small No2 kit like Donnie suggested and be done with it. The 4.10 will comprimise the rest of the combination plus the No2 will work for any combination should you decide to change things up later.
Allan G.

You really think a 3.90 or 4.10 gear is going to hurt , an engine that makes no power under 5000 rpm?

You really think a 3.90 or 4.10 gear is going to hurt , an engine that makes no power under 5000 rpm?

My car, with a 3.90 gear and 31" tire is going through the traps at 6830 RPM. I think a 4.10 gear with a 28" tire will be way to much. I still think your cam will peak at 6200-6400 or maybe a tad higher because of the smaller displacment. With that being said I would think your goal should be low 9's or high 8's with your combination and the same speed would require a 3.50 gear w/28tire. With 4.10 gears you will be going through the traps at 7900+.

Allan G.

My car, with a 3.90 gear and 31" tire is going through the traps at 6830 RPM. I think a 4.10 gear with a 28" tire will be way to much. I still think your cam will peak at 6200-6400 or maybe a tad higher because of the smaller displacment. With that being said I would think your goal should be low 9's or high 8's with your combination and the same speed would require a 3.50 gear w/28tire. With 4.10 gears you will be going through the traps at 7900+.

Allan G.
You are correct however I want to use overdrive which would change the 4.10 to 3.18 and come through at 6200@150 mph give or take a bit...

Nitrous.
On the street with a 4.10 gear, when that turbo does come online, the gear is going to get you in trouble.

Nitrous.
On the street with a 4.10 gear, when that turbo does come online, the gear is going to get you in trouble.

I rather not use Nitrous, but If i don;t change the gear , only the converter is left......what are my other options?

There is too much gap between the gear changes to make 4th gear work effectively.
AG

I rather not use Nitrous, but If i don;t change the gear , only the converter is left......what are my other options?
Go with a completely different engine cid, camshaft, heads, turbo combination.
How about twin turbos?

Well here is the math, look at the numbers and give me more feedback...

calcs.jpg

Back