TTA Poly Motor Mount UPDATE:

HRpartsNstuff

Just wanted to update everyone on the TTA Poly Motor Mount project. We have worked the bugs out of a design that will work great. We are currently finishing up a couple prototype sets & should be testing very soon.

They will actually be a complete set/kit containing:

A softer version of our current GN V-6 mounts +
New frame pad/towers that will bolt to the crossmember.

This is a little more work to install, but by far the best way to do it. Projected price looks to be around the $250 mark. I am trying to keep it under that, but the GN mounts with the soft bushings is $165 of it. The frame pad/towers will have Poly in them as well, and include all new hardware. It will be a true bolt-in kit with everything necessary included (except wrenches & helpers :) ).

We have a signup form on our website for those interested. This is to see how many people are interested & does NOT obligate anyone in any way. The more people that are interested will determine the initial qty run I do. The higher qty of parts I purchase / machine / weld / paint / assy, the lower my cost is, and the lower retail price!

Look for the form under our PRODUCTS section, in the Motor Mount category, and click the TTA button. I will also be contacting people in the order I receive forms, so if you are in a hurry, get it to me in a hurry. There is a submit button too, so no mailing or fax needed.

Thanks-

Excellent! I've been waiting for these, but I have a question now that you mention the frame pads will be replaced also.

How difficult is it to replace the pads on the frame? I've heard some people say you have to remove the a-arms to do this. Can anyone who has done this job chime in?

If you have a helper you don't have to remove the a-arms,but if your doing it alone it's almost impossible to do it without removing them

Steve

cmon all you camaro and transam swap guys

Get in on this I have read countless post looking to bolt a GN motor into a 3rd gen Fbod,well with Pauls kits you wont need to get a tta motor and the hard to find engine mounts.Im in on this one.A much easier to find GN motor and the usage of this kit will eliminate the need to adapt Gn mounts to a thirdgen car. :cool:

Last Fall I helped a friend of mine swap a v8 for a v6 in his '86 Firebird. The donor car had the frame mounts located differently from his car, so we had to move them. It wasn't easy to do, but it can be done without removing the A arms. Just have a buddy and a good assortment of wobble an universal extenders. No fun, but doable.
hth

Got my mounts welded in already, but I'll sign up to help out. BTW, welding was a PITA! Tightend bellhousing bolts to tranny made sure tranny mount was tight, tack welded pads to frame, then unbolted mounts from motor and bellhousing, pulled motor out and fully welded the pads to the crossmember, then got to drop it back in and bolt everything up AGAIN! These mounts would be perfect as the GN mounts sets the motor a little low for clearance between oil filter & Idler arm.

Thanks Darren for the heads up email! (Where did you get your dash cluster? I made mine about 3 years ago and looks nearly identical!)

Eric,no problem on the heads up.I got my dash plate from a place that made it for the giveaway camaro a few years back in chevy high performance.Its a place in Las Vegas.I ended up just putting together a collection of Phantom gauges,and was preety easy considering I had the helm manual to help me with wiring.I found out quick it was very expensive.Does bring out the interior quite a bit though.:D

I will be finishing up a couple prototypes this weekend. Next week, they will be installed to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be. If it all works well, we should be in production in a couple weeks, and have parts available early Sept. :) We should have sets available at the Chicago & Bristol events. If it doesn't go well..... I will end up pulling out the rest of my hair :mad:

Will these motor mounts be like the original GM ones regarding "One mount was made for compression and one for tension because the way the motor torques over" ?

Jan

The new mounts will be similar to the TR mounts. Both sides will be totally interlocked so that neither compression or tension, and actually front/rear forces, can tear them apart. There will be Poly surrounding the interlocking pieces 360 degrees, and on the sides, so no metal will touch metal under WOT. The bushing material I will start out with has been track tested at over 800HP with great success. If the poly was to mysteriously disappear somehow, there is no way the engine is coming out of there without a torch or tools.

As usual, I lost some more hair this weekend. I didn't get as far as I had hoped, but I should still be on track. Maybe a couple days behind, but all looks good.

Keep us updated...

Im only waiting on these mounts to get my engine in,so if and when the time comes up for the testing of the mounts count me in.Thanks Paul,Good luck with the Testing

Originally posted by HRpartsNstuff
If it all works well, we should be in production in a couple weeks, and have parts available early Sept. :) We should have sets available at the Chicago & Bristol events. If it doesn't go well..... I will end up pulling out the rest of my hair :mad:

When you see me next, there is a good chance I will be completely bald! I have ran into several (more) snags that are slowing me down & complicating things (again). If I wouldn't have told you guys that I would make these, I would have just thrown all the stuff in a box & dropped the idea a while back. If I sold them for $500 a pair, I would still lose money on them at this point.
Now, it is simply a battle between good & evil :) More like a challenge of Biblical proportions :D Actually, it's not that bad, but I am not letting this project get the best of me. I will get these done soon & they will be right one way or the other. This is now, & has been for a while, my main priority. I don't want to say a date for being ready to ship out because it seems to jinx me every time. I am just going to hammer away on this until they are done. I REEEAALLY want to have some for the Morrocco show in a couple weeks. Oh well, back to work.....

Thanks for the update.

So you are definatly going threw with producing these mounts?Im just sitting back and waiting for them to be done,I have a line on stockers but dont want to buy them then have to buy these.If you are 100% sure you are going to make them this year Ill stick it out.But if you plan on dropping the project let us know.What do you expect the price to be around when you release them for sale?Thanks:)

Re: Thanks for the update.

Originally posted by Darrens89Z
So you are definatly going threw with producing these mounts?

Oh yeah, gone too far to turn back now. I can't leave you guys hanging! Making parts that are needed for the little groups like the TTA's & even the TR's (when compared to Fords & Chevy's) will never be a "get-rich" idea, just got to do it. When you love the cars, you have to support them to keep the sport alive. I just love 13 & 15 year old cars woopin butt on older and newer muscle cars! Got to keep them on the road & running fast to get respect :) Got to admit, it's a lot of fun to educate your local mustang "young punk" :D

Re: Re: Thanks for the update.

Originally posted by HRpartsNstuff

I just love 13 & 15 year old cars woopin butt on older and newer muscle cars! Got to keep them on the road & running fast to get respect :) Got to admit, it's a lot of fun to educate your local mustang "young punk" :D

Im sticking it out then:D With the above quote you just read my mind as well as every other members on this board.Thanks for spending the time and money to bring out a great product that would otherwise never be made.:cool:

poly motor mounts

Would these help me any in my attemp to transplant an '86 GN motor into my '94 Firebird?

Re: poly motor mounts

Latest update:

I have 2 sets of early prototypes done. One set is being tested for fit & performance by a well known TTA member, and I am checking out the other set locally.
(PS- Anyone in the N.E. Ohio area with their motor in the car interested in helping???)
Once I have this feedback (hopefully by Mon.), I will know better where this project is at. I am expecting only minor tweaks at this point (fingers crossed). If all looks well, I will probably do a short run of 20 pair or so & make sure they are on the money before I do a bigger batch. I will also post a price & more details (and pictures) once I get some feedback this weekend. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I could have some for Bristol, knock on wood.

Also:

Originally posted by v8eater
Would these help me any in my attemp to transplant an '86 GN motor into my '94 Firebird?

Yep! It should make the motor swaps into the new F-bodies much easier. I will have more details once we get some mounts finalized & do some more checking.