What size turbo with atr headers

434nova

What is the biggest size turbo am I able to fit on atr headers and fit under the stock hood and without interfering with anything. I was wondering if a 88 mm will fit. I am looking at running a 4788 turbo with the t4 flange. How does this setup fit. Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

How fast do you want to go? An 88 will fit, but will have alot of lag. Picking a turbo isn't about what is the biggest that will fit.

Im looking to go 8.90s or better. I looked at some 76mm turbos but it looks like I will be max out around a 8.90 or so. What do you recommend on a turbo ?

The turbo (7675 billet wheel) I have has gone 8.4's. I am far from maxxing it out. I have gone just as fast with a smaller turbine and a 76 compressor that was a mismatch of wheels.

How much stall are you running with that turbo ? Does it spool up quick ? I am building a 276 stage 2 headed motor

The 76-75 is a hybrid the standard garrett gt42-76 has a 81mm exhaust so it should flow even more if your looking for more HP? It spools Just OK but its not fast spooling to me.

I am running a PTC 18 blade, it stalls 3800 at 0 boost with the wastegate open. It spools great. I am going to try a 20 blade to see if I can run enough rpm to make it couple. Spool up and converter stall will depend on compression and cam selection.

He will be using stage 2 heads, they do not have the velocity, my spool times are about 3x as slow as yours with a looser converter 20 blade. It also depends on the base compression ratio.

The spool up will be dependent on base compression ratio, camshaft profile, displacement, convertor stall speed, turbo size and turbine housing A/R and tuning variables. Rob's combo is well sorted. A smaller turbo will be much more responsive (AKA: fun to drive) than a larger turbo.

Neal

I understand on the spool up variables. Here is where im heading 276 ci ,stage 2 heads , 4000 - 4500 stall , 9.0 compression , 76 - 88 mm turbo , cam in the high 220s low 230s , ar in the 1.10 or less. How does that sound. I am still learning on these turbo buicks , some parts I havent gotten yet ( turbo , cam , stall ) I would like to run high 8s but a low 9 is fine. I am also looking to run around 30 to 35 #s of boost to get there if possible.

I understand on the spool up variables. Here is where im heading 276 ci ,stage 2 heads , 4000 - 4500 stall , 9.0 compression , 76 - 88 mm turbo , cam in the high 220s low 230s , ar in the 1.10 or less. How does that sound. I am still learning on these turbo buicks , some parts I havent gotten yet ( turbo , cam , stall ) I would like to run high 8s but a low 9 is fine. I am also looking to run around 30 to 35 #s of boost to get there if possible.

Going to be difficult to get 4000 RPM stall with stage 2 heads......
AG.

What would you say is going to be the range of stall with say a 76mm turbo with a .96 ar. I have fully ported champion gn1 heads on my 235 ci engine. Wouldnt the cc of the runner be the determing factor of rpm range ? My champions work great on my motor with a te45a turbo , that is a 66mm size turbo and I have a 3200 stall. What would you say is the cc of the runner on the stage 2 heads to a gn1.

I would use your GN1's on the stage 2. If they are 8 bolt, they can be converted. I am running regular GN1's not R's into the range you want.

What would you say is going to be the range of stall with say a 76mm turbo with a .96 ar. I have fully ported champion gn1 heads on my 235 ci engine. Wouldnt the cc of the runner be the determing factor of rpm range ? My champions work great on my motor with a te45a turbo , that is a 66mm size turbo and I have a 3200 stall. What would you say is the cc of the runner on the stage 2 heads to a gn1.

The optimal flow rpm range on the a S2 alum head is 7500 rpm with 276 ci.
I would use your GN1's on the stage 2. If they are 8 bolt, they can be converted. I am running regular GN1's not R's into the range you want.

He bought a set of stage II heads, the ports will drawf the GN1 heads, hence the rpm potential is now shifted to 5000+ to 8000 RPM + He will need the biggest turbine wheel/ AR possible or it won;t be efficient. He will require a 19-20 blade PTC and the proper cam to make it work. ....

How would a 4.11 gear work with a 28 inch tall tire with my combo ? I have a choice between 4.11 or 3.50 but since im gonna need to rev this motor would the 4.11 be better. This with a turbo 400 trans.

How would a 4.11 gear work with a 28 inch tall tire with my combo ? I have a choice between 4.11 or 3.50 but since im gonna need to rev this motor would the 4.11 be better. This with a turbo 400 trans.

3.50's with 28 inch tall tire.
AG.

My opinion. If you choose the turbo and camshaft correctly the stage 2 heads won't be as big of a detriment as most think. If you only want to run high 8's you can get there with as little as a 6768. With the right cam it will spool great and still make good power. Your cam choice in the high 220's/low 230's could be right but there is so much more to it than duration numbers.

Turbobitt is right on with 3.50 gears and a 28" tire. With the right turbo and cam, you won't need to spin it to the moon and it will be much more fun.

I would put my 277" 67mm combo against any for quick spooling and fun factor. And I bet my Ta heads flow almost as much as the typical stage 2 head.