You can type here any text you want

Will the valve covers hit the hvac blower box?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
I'm wanting to upgrade my stock valve covers to an aftermarket set, preferably aluminum or maybe chrome. However one set of valve covers I found said they would not fit models equipped with a/c.

My guess is interference with the hvac blower box...has anyone had this issue?

I installed a used set this spring that I got off Grumpy and they fit fine. PS is a little tricky getting the bolts in but it dosen't rub anywhere. I'm not sure who's make they are.....maybe BGC. Maybe Dan will chime in.

I have a set of champion valve covers like in the 1st link and they don't hit anywhere, BUT I have the heat shield removed from the AC box.

Personally I think if you get a set of stamped chrome valve covers you are asking for trouble, don't our cars leak enough oil??

Yeah they do. Just want some bling on my engine. Besides I hear chrome just retains heat. I'll probably end up going with the aluminum covers.

I have ones like the first you showed and they hit the heat sheild on my a/c box. not to bad + i have both powder coated, the heat shield black and i cleared the valve covers it makes them alot easier to keep clean and shiny.

Polish the aluminum ones (or have them polished)

I thought about that too. There used to be a guy on eBay username richiekgolden that always sold polished stock valve covers. They looked nice and often brought just north of $100. Any idea what it takes to polish a set of stock valve covers to almost chrome and if I paid a shop to do how much could I expect to have it done?

Thanks!

i have the tall kenne belle covers, very tight but not touching...struggled for at least an hour trying to pull it off, halft hr trying to put it back on..lol.
i bought those chrome ones about a year ago and still sitting on the shelf....i should measure the heights...
my motor is coming out soon...i'm going to try to see if i can smash the heat shield for abit more clearance...or i'll take off the heat shield and put a stick on heat shield in its place.

I like the look of the stock ones the best I think they look great polished or just having the ribs polished. I just had mine powder coated black and will polish the ribs. I can polish a set of valve covers in about 2 hours. So figure a local shop will charge between 75 to 150 to polish a set. If you do have them done remove the casting flash yourself that may make it a little cheaper for you. I have done several sets and I usually glass bead them then use the sanding disk that looks like a green scotch bright pad to take the casting flash off them. After that it’s just an hour or so on the buffer and you’re done. For what it will cost to pay someone you can get a good bugger or if you have a bench grinder you can get a buffing pad for it you would be surprised how easy it is to do these valve covers there not like dong an intake ware you have the sand look from the casting to have to smooth out first.

I like the look of the stock ones the best I think they look great polished or just having the ribs polished. I just had mine powder coated black and will polish the ribs. I can polish a set of valve covers in about 2 hours. So figure a local shop will charge between 75 to 150 to polish a set. If you do have them done remove the casting flash yourself that may make it a little cheaper for you. I have done several sets and I usually glass bead them then use the sanding disk that looks like a green scotch bright pad to take the casting flash off them. After that it’s just an hour or so on the buffer and you’re done. For what it will cost to pay someone you can get a good bugger or if you have a bench grinder you can get a buffing pad for it you would be surprised how easy it is to do these valve covers there not like dong an intake ware you have the sand look from the casting to have to smooth out first.

I have the one in the first link. The passenger side cover is hard to get the back screw tightened. You have to cut down an allen wrench to get to it. Royal pain in the ass. The problem is the screw sits too low. Compare it to the stocker and you will see how the screw sits up on top of the stocker. Makes it much easier to get to.

Back