anyone here shooting a ar based rifle?

Goat

I heart Boost and DRs...
I have a mossberg tactical 22 and current building 2 ar15s with a 556 cal.

Just wondering if anyone else is shooting them for sport or hunting?

I've shot my dad's AR-15 before, just for fun shooting soda cans, milk jugs. I don't hunt and don't know that you'd be allowed to hunt with one. Plus I'm military and have to qualify on shooting the M-16 every so often, which is the bigger brother of the AR-15.

I have hunted deer and hogs with one... I also carried one in the military and shoulder injures have forced me to use them for hunting. I will be buying a 410 shotgun upper for one or just getting a saiga 410 for squrriel hunting lol yea I know overkill...

If you have a shoulder injury why don't you hunt squirrels with the 22 :confused::confused:
You will find they are much more fun to shoot and easier to clean also.:cool:

Oh I will, but that is my excuse to my wife for buying it!

I have 2 Bushmasters. 1 is a Varminter version for Hunting (.223 caliber). I really want to get The "Thumper" in .50 Caliper for it. able to put a 3" hole thru a cinder block.:biggrin: Can't ask for much more than that!:eek:

If you have a shoulder injury why don't you hunt squirrels with the 22 :confused::confused:
You will find they are much more fun to shoot and easier to clean also.:cool:

I like using my 357 lever rifle Ronnie. Bark em and there's no damage either. If you get a head on shot there's no cleaning either since the bullet does it for you.:eek: :biggrin:

ZM4 for sport;) Dang thing was hitting the numbers at 30 yds with military sights and my old azz eyesight! 5.56 is overkill for most varmints,(squirrels, etc.) just one more reason for more guns! You don't have to invest in high dollar guns, just know what you are doing with what you got.

Depends on what you want to spend... DMPS oracles can be had for $650 or so, decent rifle... You can get Smith M&P's for $800 and up. You can go all the way up to LMT's, Barrett's, etc... all the way up to 3k+! IMO, the Smiths, Rock River, and Sig are the best for the money....

I bought my 12 year old son a S&W M&P 22-15. I love the little thing so much I may go get another one for myself.

Oh i shot theym for spotrt alright. they do the hjob i'll tell you that. peopel talk crap about the 5..6, but i aissure you it can get the jonb done. i hit a miuj with a shot to hte hip. came out his shoulder. 5.56 t5ubles a bit but that is expected. i shoot out to 500ydsa no problem. 700 when i get my breating down. this ius all with m855. who knows what ig coutld hit with some ghood mk2632 sierraking.. i shoott stateside with lwrc and kight amdamen t. beutiful guns. whack mujs all dya. whawt do you need to know',? you shooting varmits? shoot v-max bulltes. if your gong for bigger game. maybe step upt to 75 77 graing bullets. all does the job. ask haj.

fricken drivimg into sel;man pak . soth of baghdad. after whe clearde fahluuhjah. they though they could hold salman pak. well thye welre wrong. us 3 id and sf busted there chps with ar's. wiped the floor iwth them in an week. hahah. muj was runnign left and right. funny wha ta little m855 will do to them. haha sorry. it's not me talking . jose cuervo wanted to0 say a few words. haha

Shoot them when I get the chance. Have a dozen or two .... majority in 5.56 caliber but have other calibers in the AR too, like 5.7x28, 7.62x39, 6.8spc, and 450 bushmaster. All a hoot to shoot. I build precision and regular uppers. Sell some parts and uppers on gunbroker.

Note on twist rate for 5.56 - get a 1x7 or 1x8 for it - will stabilize the heavier bullets like the 75 and 77 gr.
Today's "normal" 1x9 typically won't stabilize the heavier bullets. YMMV

Shoot straight!

Shoot them when I get the chance. Have a dozen or two .... majority in 5.56 caliber but have other calibers in the AR too, like 5.7x28, 7.62x39, 6.8spc, and 450 bushmaster. All a hoot to shoot. I build precision and regular uppers. Sell some parts and uppers on gunbroker.

Note on twist rate for 5.56 - get a 1x7 or 1x8 for it - will stabilize the heavier bullets like the 75 and 77 gr.
Today's "normal" 1x9 typically won't stabilize the heavier bullets. YMMV

Shoot straight!

Unless you're into some short range and ugly wound channels though. The original twist was 1 in 12 if I remember right and that's why the round was so effective during Nam. The bullet would destableize after 100 or so yards and start tumbling.That led to keyholing and spiral hits on impact. Some really nasty wounds from the early days.

Yep, here is my Bushmaster BA50.
IMG00236-1.jpg