Before Black BS'ing thread.

This is as far as I`v gotten so far... haven't been feeling that great.

1001816e.jpg

Welcome back Jase.:) I can feel your pain on getting to far on the project, but next time take the converter off so you don't damage the tranny.

Let me put it this way Jase, I'm to old to date a girl that's 18 and not old enough to retire.:D Doesn't mean that if a girl that's 18 shows up I won't say no though.:p

Well, I found what was making the noise... harmonic balancer came apart and raised some hell. I also discovered 2 cylinder walls have gashes in them, so now I have 2 motors to bore out :mad:. So I think I might just drop a 350 in it for now and go all out on both 3.8`s... since it is impossible to find another 3.8 or anything carb`ed around here anymore. I might use a newer truck 350, but I`m worried I might have to have a custom drive shaft made or would a 4l60e or 700r4 fit? I`ll buy another drive shaft if I have too, cause its not going to be permanent:D
1001827k.jpg

1001828z.jpg

Well, I found what was making the noise... harmonic balancer came apart and raised some hell. I also discovered 2 cylinder walls have gashes in them, so now I have 2 motors to bore out :mad:. So I think I might just drop a 350 in it for now and go all out on both 3.8`s... since it is impossible to find another 3.8 or anything carb`ed around here anymore. I might use a newer truck 350, but I`m worried I might have to have a custom drive shaft made or would a 4l60e or 700r4 fit? I`ll buy another drive shaft if I have too, cause its not going to be permanent:D
If the balancer came apart then it was the wrong one. The earlier ones are an actual balancer with elasomer in it and the later even fire ones are hubs with no elastomer. I bet that enginehad a lot of vibration in the low RPM range, didn't it.:eek:

Actually it drove home just fine, like nothing happened... 3.8/3800`s rule:D. I thought the balancer was all one piece, the one on the 85 motor is. Oh well, gave me a reason to pull it and get to work on it at least.

this weekend is D-day for the start of my 1980/1978 3.8 stock rebuild project. look for pics and vid in before black section ( unless reccomended elsewere)..... and try to keep up. may long is the deadline. she won't be pretty, but it will drive out under her own power. got my list of select individuals specializing in everything from suspension to driveline to interior and electrical, frame resto, and body to volunteer some time and effort. on monday i'm dropping the engine parts off at the machinists. i still have no tranny or headlight bezels, but i'm no longer concerned about a 200r4. i will go with stock and save the tranny for stage 2 of my build. sunday, the plan is move the car from it's current location into my shop (not as easy as it sounds) and to have the old engine out by days end. i posted here just incase plans b,c,d fail...lol then it's just bsn' eh

^^^
Pretty good actually! Tattooing has picked up a HELL of alot for me, Im still in the Navy, and my wife has finally got a job!! haha im on a roll bruh! I been lurking around here for a while
but not too much...hows things around your way yo? Is ol' boy with the Buick who could never make up his mind with what he was gonna do with it still in here?