Before Black BS'ing thread.

I leaked down the girdled 274. One cylinder has 3%, the rest 20%. It's for sure leaking past the rings. I tore it down and the bearings look perfect, the cylinder walls still have the crosshatch. I honed it with a ball hone for the new moly rings I ordered. Very weird that the leakage is so high, but cranking compression was high except on the 2 rear cylinders, but still within 10%. The blow by really concerned me. The new spare engine with moly rings broke in fast and has zero blow by.

I was doing the last torque cycle on the heads and the last stud made the dreaded "ping", which means the threads pulled. The deck had the usual 4.1 cracks at the bolts near the water passages, which does not bother me, but those were the threads that pulled. I ordered a Time-Sert big block Chevy TS0761D kit with stainless inserts from Mechanics Tools & Bits in Pa. I also bought a 12" 29/64" drill bit from a local machine tool company. I taped up all the openings except for the bolt holes and bolted a head on the block to use as a guide for the drill. Worked good on 3 holes on the passenger side. Tomorrow I will do the drivers side. Getting the hole drilled straight is the hard part because a little off at the deck is a lot off at the top of the stud. It's worth the $125.00 for the kit to save machining another block for a girdle, plus line hone and boring the cylinders. Meanwhile, the spare iron headed engine is running great in my truck, just a lot less power with a flat tappet cam and ported irons, and only a 100HP shot of Nitrous.

This is what elderly hot rodders do on Saturday while everyone else is at Home Depot. Should be running tomorrow.

photo (2).JPG photo (1).JPG

Has anyone noticed when you do a search that old posts seem to have been deleted?

Jay had to do some mods because of server issues. I don't think we have a functioning search right now because of this.

Time for a new 4.1 block. The Time Serts in the block held OK. The block was cracked all the way down one bolt hole on both sides. The insert held, but the deck pulled up on both sides of the hole. I have another block at the machine shop getting machined for the girdle and bored oversize to use the same pistons, crank, and rods. Something that is peculiar about the 4.1's. All three I have built had lower compression and higher leakage on the rear cylinders. I checked compression on my spare engine today and it's 225 on 1&2, 220 on 2&3, and 215 on 5&6. One block was honed with a deck plate and two were not. Same results. The rear cylinders on the junk block are badly out of round, the fronts are OK. The rear cylinders have a coolant passage next to the cylinders, the fronts do not. Also, I never had a deck crack when I used Cometic MLS gaskets. As soon as I went to Fel Pro 1026 composite gaskets, the cracks showed up. So, new engine will be decked for Cometics. The bottom end held up well with the girdle. Now if I can just get the top end to last. Nitrous takes it's toll on these blocks. If this one doesn't last, maybe a 3.8 block with my 3.625 crank will hold up. I hate to give up 25 cubic inches. More nitrous to make up the difference maybe?

It's been forever since I posted in here, but wanted to check back in and see what's going on. Still have the '81 N/A Regal and it still in basically the same setup. My dad is retired and has been messing with the Regal (minor/hidden weight reduction, and tying up loose ends), while I have been on "daddy-duty" for the past 6 years. We just had our 4th child (last night actually!) and just getting some momentary downtime while the older kiddos are gone with the grandparents and mom/baby are resting.

In honor of the baby (haha) I convinced my dad that he should take it to the track tonight. We put a 500cfm 2BBL on it, which seems to actually suit the car quite well. Got some new front springs and taller/narrower front tires to see how it improves. Hoping for a high 14 second pass tonight since we have some relatively cool/dry weather.

Hope all here are doing well!

Now that we know what your hobby is I think it's time for you to get back to the car or end up broke.:ROFLMAO: Nice to see you on again Aaron.;)

Car did well and ran very smooth. VERY consistent 15.20's at 87mph. 2.05 60' as well. Not stellar, but not bad for an all steel, full interior car. A few more cheap/easy tricks to try to get it in the 14's. I am sure it could stand with more gear and converter, but that will have to stay for now.

That's an after market turbo system from the late 70's. Aj can tell us more about it if he ever comes back to the board.:( Looks like a rayjay T04 unit.

Anyone have any recommendations on an upgraded mechanical fuel pump. I need to change mine but figured I better ask before I buy an Autozone fuel pump.

Almost bought a near mint minus the rear LCA mount rust in April.

Hauled some stuff.

Traded a front frame section off a Cutlass I parted out 4 years ago for a gen 3.5 5.3 with some top end problems

Bought an iron headed long crank 6.0

Bought a GT500 blower for said 6.0 to go into unpurchased C4.

What have I been up to this summer?

Moved 600 miles to work with Deere as an engineer for the summer so no car stuff. :/

I found some HV carters on evilbay some time ago and Rich bought one. Not sure if he left it on or took it off but you might try to get hold of him. I've got one from a stage II engine so you could put a post in the stage II section and see if anyone has one laying around.

I found some HV carters on evilbay some time ago and Rich bought one. Not sure if he left it on or took it off but you might try to get hold of him. I've got one from a stage II engine so you could put a post in the stage II section and see if anyone has one laying around.

Do you happen to have a link? The fuel pump i have right now is from 1985. (its about time i should change it).

other issue i need some expertise on...

The motor is running fine but right before the shift points the car revs out and seams like its not moving out almost like the trans is holding it back, then when the trans shifts it becomes violent, spinning the tires at each shift point until 4th where it smooth sailing. This issue only happens under full throttle. When under partial(1/2) throttle to 3/4 throttle the car runs fine. no trans issue. i tried to adjust the tv cable by holding the throttle open and pressing on the tv cable button. the trans only has 10,000 miles on it if that. could this be the sign the trans took a deuce?

Sorry Matt, I haven't seen them offered in a few years. As far as the engine hitting a wall. You might need some new springs.