You can type here any text you want

Before Black BS'ing thread.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
That`s cool. I`v wanted to do a 3800 SC Fiero for years... but when your broke, your broke:( Been looking for a Regal GS, but they are all over priced... I can find GN/Tt for the cash they want:rolleyes: There is a nice looking 84 converted to 87 Tt for $2,250:eek:... but like always, I`m broke:mad:

ooh yeah i forgot to add, the fiero's subframe is compatible with the fwd A-body's as well lol. hey, if ya got the money, go for it, if not, no problem. by the way, try looking for the 2M4 Fieros, they came with the Iron Duke engine and are not as valuable as the v6 cars; so theyre easier to cut up and replace with a L67 swap using info from my car club, a fiero club, or whichever website out there have info... in my car club, we've people who swapped in L67 in a Trans Sport van, a guy who did a turbo version of L67 in his ciera and did 13 seconds 1/4 mile...my friend with the GS who's got turbo versions of the 3.8s in a variety of Buick Centuries, some on the cheap, others with full tilt custom.....Im not sure if we also have a guy who did a L67 in his Citation, but I wont be surprised to hear of one lol. so yeah, as ugly as our cars are, we have gearheads :D lol. I'm in much the same boat as you are, but since applying for jobs, and heard back from one, I hope to be employed soon so i can find a better place that allows working on cars.

yup yup. been looking in yards for a stupid "THERMAC" tube between heat shield and air cleaner for my particular 4-tech engine, but I;m thinking i should upgrade to a 88-92 roller cam 2.5 if not upgrade to a whole bigger engine lol

yup yup. been looking in yards for a stupid "THERMAC" tube between heat shield and air cleaner for my particular 4-tech engine, but I;m thinking i should upgrade to a 88-92 roller cam 2.5 if not upgrade to a whole bigger engine lol

can you post some pics of your car... i dont think ive ever seen it.

1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe pictures by CamoDeafie - Photobucket

i've posted it once here and u said to put on big rims and go scrayper lol. the air cleaner looks like this

DSCN2330.jpg

oh and the wiper thing

DSCN2553.jpg

anyways back too topic! got a call from a yard about a 3.0 carb engine, they ahve one, but do not know if it eals or anything

1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe pictures by CamoDeafie - Photobucket

i've posted it once here and u said to put on big rims and go scrayper lol. the air cleaner looks like this

DSCN2330.jpg

oh and the wiper thing

DSCN2553.jpg

anyways back too topic! got a call from a yard about a 3.0 carb engine, they ahve one, but do not know if it eals or anything

wow, Aj dogged out your car in your other thread. If it was me, id just drive it stock. Maybe find an x11 engine engine, and do a heavily modded NA 3.0

I don't have the wire caps anymore lol; they were unbalanced and really dingy..so I'm looking either for a set of Omega center caps and trim ring for the X body rally wheels, or a set of alloys that looks good with the body in 5x100s, but right now, thermac tube and speedo cable replacement are more important; the X-11 engine is simply a 140hp 2bbl 2.8L 60 degree v6 for the early one, or the 150hp MFI 2.8L v6...the NA 3.0 v6 is rated at 110HP, but thats with 8.5:1 Compression and 2bbl and a very conservative cam...the LG3 SFI 3.8 FWD engines are rated at 150 HP, but does 200 torque, whereas the 3.0 carb engine does 145 torque...it should be noted that in 85 the NA 2bbl 3.0 is still 110hp and 8.5:1 versus the 140hp 3.8 flat tappet SFI/MFI engines from 84-85...so what I was thinking to build; too many options in v6s, from the 2.8, 3.0, 3.1, 3300, 3400, 3500 and 3.8/3800 (the 2.8,3.1, 3400 and 3500 are all 60 degree chevy v6s)
OR a Quad DOHC engine, 150-190hp depending on RPO (190 for the W41 High Outpot engine, rarest of the group, 150 for the more common Twin Cam and QUAD DOHCs)

I don't have the wire caps anymore lol; they were unbalanced and really dingy..so I'm looking either for a set of Omega center caps and trim ring for the X body rally wheels, or a set of alloys that looks good with the body in 5x100s, but right now, thermac tube and speedo cable replacement are more important; the X-11 engine is simply a 140hp 2bbl 2.8L 60 degree v6 for the early one, or the 150hp MFI 2.8L v6...the NA 3.0 v6 is rated at 110HP, but thats with 8.5:1 Compression and 2bbl and a very conservative cam...the LG3 SFI 3.8 FWD engines are rated at 150 HP, but does 200 torque, whereas the 3.0 carb engine does 145 torque...it should be noted that in 85 the NA 2bbl 3.0 is still 110hp and 8.5:1 versus the 140hp 3.8 flat tappet SFI/MFI engines from 84-85...so what I was thinking to build; too many options in v6s, from the 2.8, 3.0, 3.1, 3300, 3400, 3500 and 3.8/3800 (the 2.8,3.1, 3400 and 3500 are all 60 degree chevy v6s)
OR a Quad DOHC engine, 150-190hp depending on RPO (190 for the W41 High Outpot engine, rarest of the group, 150 for the more common Twin Cam and QUAD DOHCs)

do a turbo Iron duke, port the heck out of the heads... intercool it, BT it (somehow) and snag some parts off of that skyhawk. I like the MFI x11 idea.

lol nah. leaving that for AJ to do; hell If i score a 2.3 QUAD for cheap...and i mean CHEAP....I would do a turbo QUAD with EFI.....and send AJ the old 2.5 engine and such, and maybe S10 heads if i can find them and he wants them.....i've been finding newer 2.5s taht doesnt have the THERMAC tubes....mine uses a vac servo to open a flap for the tube to get hot air from the heat shield...the other engines don't have these...but they also ahve the roller cam and redesigned head and intake manifold, so if i want the newer engines,i'd need to take it all apart, and if im gonna swap out the engine, might as well as upgrade the basic powerplant; no? but this would require a significant downtime and since i have a tiny budget, is not practical at the moment, a 2nd car with the buick v6 or chevy v6 would be better to find and use as a project car while maintaining the duke in mine. its gotten 30-35mpg with my fat ass in it!

lol nah. leaving that for AJ to do; hell If i score a 2.3 QUAD for cheap...and i mean CHEAP....I would do a turbo QUAD with EFI.....and send AJ the old 2.5 engine and such, and maybe S10 heads if i can find them and he wants them.....i've been finding newer 2.5s taht doesnt have the THERMAC tubes....mine uses a vac servo to open a flap for the tube to get hot air from the heat shield...the other engines don't have these...but they also ahve the roller cam and redesigned head and intake manifold, so if i want the newer engines,i'd need to take it all apart, and if im gonna swap out the engine, might as well as upgrade the basic powerplant; no? but this would require a significant downtime and since i have a tiny budget, is not practical at the moment, a 2nd car with the buick v6 or chevy v6 would be better to find and use as a project car while maintaining the duke in mine. its gotten 30-35mpg with my fat ass in it!

lol... yea my car is hella fast with me and 100lbs worth of speaker stuff in it.

my question is...

why those bodys?

do you honestly really like those bodys?

cause i saw probably 25 cars of that era go into the grinder on saturday.

A.j.

Still waiting on my heads to get back from the machine shop. I just want to get the motor put back together.

Im going to agree with AJ, those 83+ a-10 bodies are sorta ugly, theres worse, but even though they have similar styling as a G body, they dont have that same agressiveness.

Still waiting on my heads to get back from the machine shop. I just want to get the motor put back together.

Im going to agree with AJ, those 83+ a-10 bodies are sorta ugly, theres worse, but even though they have similar styling as a G body, they dont have that same agressiveness.

its not that,

I mean... not to say my bodys are any more popular... or better looking

but I just cant see the advantage of them? other than sleeper? I picked my body for two reasons alone, weight and a beefier chassis than a 3/4 ton truck.

the looks department was last on prioritys.... but is there a mechanical advantage to these bodys?

A.j.

they're cheap. they can use the U-body van parts. they're easy to get parts for the most part. also easy to work on in the engine bay unlike the imports or the N and J bodies. very few people care about them or notice them, so theft is no worries. they could be had with buick v6s, while the Xs never did and the X still has the reputation of being crappy, the As were improvements over them. at least the wagon versions, could carry alot of crap and I like the wagons better than the taurus or the dodge wagons of the time...theyre also a good size for me, yeah i'd like a RWD A/G but try finding a running example with low miles(ish) for under $1000 that doesn't need alot of work....out here, with no rust. its damn near impossible, but there's a couple that looks like they need quite a lot of work unfortunately. I grew up with the ugly cars....fact, family had the Dodge Reliant, Dodge wagon, Chevy celebrity wagon, then they got the 90s regal, T-bird, then Dodge Intrepid and Concorde, and mom got Ford Aerostar van, then traded for a Dodge Caravan, and been using a caravan since then (traded for newer ones)..since dad got in an accident with his concorde, the insurance gave him money and he got a kia spectra....my parents are NOT car people; but I like the particular A-body...so it influenced me. when I was a college student, I used a ciera wagon for roadtripping and it got me 30 mpg highway with **** loaded into it and a 3100 v6...so yeah i'm weird i guess; but hey...theres also clubs for the AMC gremlin and pacers too! lol. i'd love to get a G body wagon if i could find one.....

they're cheap. they can use the U-body van parts. they're easy to get parts for the most part. also easy to work on in the engine bay unlike the imports or the N and J bodies. very few people care about them or notice them, so theft is no worries. they could be had with buick v6s, while the Xs never did and the X still has the reputation of being crappy, the As were improvements over them. at least the wagon versions, could carry alot of crap and I like the wagons better than the taurus or the dodge wagons of the time...theyre also a good size for me, yeah i'd like a RWD A/G but try finding a running example with low miles(ish) for under $1000 that doesn't need alot of work....out here, with no rust. its damn near impossible, but there's a couple that looks like they need quite a lot of work unfortunately. I grew up with the ugly cars....fact, family had the Dodge Reliant, Dodge wagon, Chevy celebrity wagon, then they got the 90s regal, T-bird, then Dodge Intrepid and Concorde, and mom got Ford Aerostar van, then traded for a Dodge Caravan, and been using a caravan since then (traded for newer ones)..since dad got in an accident with his concorde, the insurance gave him money and he got a kia spectra....my parents are NOT car people; but I like the particular A-body...so it influenced me. when I was a college student, I used a ciera wagon for roadtripping and it got me 30 mpg highway with **** loaded into it and a 3100 v6...so yeah i'm weird i guess; but hey...theres also clubs for the AMC gremlin and pacers too! lol. i'd love to get a G body wagon if i could find one.....

I gotta agree with him here. Those motors run forever, you can beat the piss out of them, and the just wont die (same as a toyota 22r motor). My family has also had several ugly bombs. A buick Somerset with an Iron duke, A nissan pulsar that dropped a motor mount on the freeway, several ford tauruses, a mercury sable that just randomly died, Oldsmobile Achieva (BAD history behind that car). Weve also had a few good cars as well to, all of them fords, Ford focus (Great car, just really small), Ford Fivehundred a cheap Maybach and decent on gas, Chevy Chevette, and Our Mercury Marquis. I like whatever is room, is decent on gas, and is reliable, and the somerset proved to be one.. till it went to the cats... literaly

Back