Votes: 10 20.0%
  • I have a Roll Cage.

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Neither, car isn't quick enough.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Neither but need one.

Votes: 26 52.0%

• Total voters
Still putting the car together and don't know if I need 1 yet. Frame is boxed and a bunch of other mods so I hope I will need 1 when I'm done.;)

Had a roll bar but now getting 25.3 cage

6 point cage
287490_10150277187668168_6778859_o.jpg

DSC00443.JPG
I bought into the "a roll bar will ruin your car" mantra for a long time. Finally wised up and had one built. Really tightened up the car and I feel much better racing it with the right equipment. I also feel more protected driving on the street.

BTW, I do put in a race harness when I go to the track and the side bar is removed when I get home.

Um...Hate to say it but a 6 point is a roll bar. A cage goes over your head and drops down near the dash.;)

Mind taking some pics of the way the front bars bolt in Phil? PM them if you don't feel like posting.:D

I bought into the "a roll bar will ruin your car" mantra for a long time.

That was the reason I started this thread. I was curious how many TR guys think that way. But then again, if you've gone far enough to need one, then you've already "ruined" it to some.

That was the reason I started this thread. I was curious how many TR guys think that way. But then again, if you've gone far enough to need one, then you've already "ruined" it to some.
I also got caught up in the "you have to have a LU convertor" deal and never broke into the 10's until I got a PTC NL from Dusty Bradford. Since then only had one run that wasn't a 10 and that was the very first test run I made with that convertor. Now looking for 10.0's on pump gas and alky.:)

Um...Hate to say it but a 6 point is a roll bar. A cage goes over your head and drops down near the dash.;)

Mind taking some pics of the way the front bars bolt in Phil? PM them if you don't feel like posting.:D

Certainly not. Hope these show you what you are looking for. If not, I'll charge up the camera battery and take some close ups. It is a 5 point with chrome moly pipe.
DSC00416.JPG
DSC00431.JPG

Had a 10 point cage but cut it out. Got tired of crawling over it and hitting my head, couldn't get to anything under the dash, kids couldn't ride in the back seat etc etc. cutting input was the best thing I ever did. Now I actually want to drive it. If you think it is safe on the streets think again. Have someone swing a piece of pipe at your head with no helmet. Had a guy on YellowBullet.com just die in a situation like that. Roll bars are for race cars. I have a "street car".
;-)

Had a 10 point cage but cut it out. Got tired of crawling over it and hitting my head, couldn't get to anything under the dash, kids couldn't ride in the back seat etc etc. cutting input was the best thing I ever did. Now I actually want to drive it. If you think it is safe on the streets think again. Have someone swing a piece of pipe at your head with no helmet. Had a guy on YellowBullet.com just die in a situation like that. Roll bars are for race cars. I have a "street car".
;-)
I did the same thing, Best thing i ever did love my car. I know what my car run.;)So when they se it on the street they think is a 12sec car.
I just race a 10.20 et G body malibu and put the smack down on him .
the dude told me never tought that car was that fast.

Looks like your crossbar and side bars bolt in. Is that legal for 10's? I thought it was required to hace a 6 point.

i have one with bar one caged
doesnt take much in the way of mods to be fast enough to need a roll bar (11.50), bolt on a ta-49 and you can be there
my local track follows the rules , faster than 11.50 and you wont be running anymore without a roll bar , run 9 anything or over 135 and it roll cage and comp license time or no racing for you .....so either turn it down , dont go to the track or comply with the rules

the bolted in rear seat bar isnt legal , some tracks dont allow it some dont get that picky

and the shoulder belts have to attach individually to the rear bar and in such in way that they cant slide , a welded tab or tabs is perfered , if you do wrap around the rear bar you have to have a way to keep the belts from sliding

and the sub belt must be 3" and through bolted and washered through the floor and belt can run around the front of the seat

you dont need to have the passenger door bar for a roll bar to 10.0 , just driverside per rules but most install the passenger side anyway if for nothing else but to stiffen things up

Quik Six,
I noticed the cross bar that is directly behind the driver and passenger seats is bolted to the main hoop (rather than welded). Is this known to be adequate if the car was rolled or wrecked? NHRA legal?

Thank you for any help,
Paul Lohr

post 13 and 14 addressed that
nhra wants it welded ...on a note it must be welded and no lower than 4" from drivers shoulders and it doesn't need to be the same size diameter as the roll bar (1 3/4") or cage (1 5/8") , you can use 1 1/4" diameter tube

Quik Six,
I noticed the cross bar that is directly behind the driver and passenger seats is bolted to the main hoop (rather than welded). Is this known to be adequate if the car was rolled or wrecked? NHRA legal?

Thank you for any help,
Paul Lohr

Certified chassis builder put it in for me, end pieces are solid, overlap and are held together by Grade 8 bolts.
Local track is NHRA track and they've never challenged it at tech inspection and I've made quite a few 10.30-10.60, 129 -132 MPH runs.

I plan to run in some 10.50 class events at local track this fall and I'm comfortable with the roll cage I have as is. I am getting away from "C" clips by getting a 9" rear end with 35 spline axles and rear disc brakes which will eliminate some areas that did concern me.

Not to scare anyone but I seen this wreck an talked to the driver before this pass ... you can clearly see where the chromolly bar over his bead broke ... This was a Tommy Mooney chromolly chassis 86 t bird that was stretched. I stoped racing for 2yrs

351.jpg