Follow my port and polish project

Great job! I am interested in the increase in HP once you are done! It's a great way to get the most out of the parts that you already have.

Great job! I am interested in the increase in HP once you are done! It's a great way to get the most out of the parts that you already have.

Honestly, I'll never know. I've never dynoed the car, and doubt I ever will.

I will however post decreases in track times.

Looks Great Doug,

All that work will pay off. I can hardly wait to see it in action on the bridge...haha.

Laterz

Shev

looks like your doing a great job, just wondering why you didnt pull the heads to port them, Ive never seen anyone port heads on an assembled motor before.

looks like your doing a great job, just wondering why you didnt pull the heads to port them, Ive never seen anyone port heads on an assembled motor before.

I get that alot.

My theory is if it isn't broke, don't fix it. The head gaskets are original and have yet to give me any issues.

I'm certain in the future I'll blow one of them trying to go for broke, then I'll port the heads :)

Ahh yes I call thoses "cornor" heads....."gota new set of heads ready to go sittin over there in the corner" :) I even have a corner motor too!

port

great job Doug keep up the good work -- let us know of the differance you've made on the cars drivability and performance ..I did basically the same thing years a go and the first thing a noteced was a much quicker spool up and need for more fuel naturally..Good luck

Where did you pick up the bronze sleeves for the headers?

I am pulling my headers of and I would like to at least put the sleeves on it.

A small update. I had a driverside header leak. So I resanded down the flange, and this time used some RTV high temp ultra copper and let it sit over night, no more leak. The bronze sleeves worked like a champ! No signs of carbon makes anywhere on the flange. I got the sleeves at McMaster-Carr.

A small update. I had a driverside header leak. So I resanded down the flange, and this time used some RTV high temp ultra copper and let it sit over night, no more leak. The bronze sleeves worked like a champ! No signs of carbon makes anywhere on the flange. I got the sleeves at McMaster-Carr.

thanks for the link BUT that site has a bazillion things Do you have a part# or at least a Keyword?

Sorry to be such a pest.
thanks
David

Found it thanks

I've been getting many PM's about the port work and I'm really happy that you guys found it interesting and informative.

I've been so busy with side work that I haven't driven the car hardly at all. Last night I took the car for a 50 mile cruise. I'm having slight issues with my alky setup so I disconnected it and turned the boost down to 17 psi on straight 93. The car feels great. The tune is a bit fat right now on purpose since I added fuel in anticipation of more air getting into the motor. Spool feels about the same as before, probably cause it spooled hard to begin with due to running the boost solenoid with my MAF Pro. Yet I can feel a difference in the top end.

I have yet to come across any mechanical issues with the car from the work I've done.

I still do owe you guys my pre and post port numbers, I'll post them soon.

My local track opens in Nov, so around Thanksgiving I should have some numbers (hopefully 11's :))

Here are the numbers I promised. Track still isn't open, so no track times yet.

Turbo compressor inlet:
Before: 2.02" (slight sanding had been done before, don't have an exact measurement on a stock compressor housing)
After: 2.120"

Turbo compressor outlet:
Before: 1.750"
After: 1.920"

Turbine inlet:
Before: 2.110"
After: 2.230"

Intercooler inlet:
Before: 1.625"
After: 1.935"

Intake runners:
Before: ~ 1.830 x .830"
After: ~ 1.950 x .900"
Gasket: 2.000 x 1.000

Went to the track last night. The DA was -380 and it's a brand new track surface so traction was solid.

Made 6 passes. Most shorts were 1.66 - 1.68, so I defintely feel the hooks more consistant. This was with 17 lbs of air in the DR's.

Et's were all in the 12.2x's, with a best of 12.20 at 111. I couldn't get my laptop to work, so I couldn't study my runs and make changes accordingly. I just used the scan master and watched knock. The tune I ended up with had boost at 23, and timing at 24/22, anything more it would knock when the converter locked (at 73 mph).

I plan on going back racing next Saturday. Other then recording and studing my runs, I'm at a loss at what to do. I will be ordering an air bag this week so maybe get more shorts even lower.

I've attached a powerlogger file if anyone wants to take a look.

Attachments

• 11_19_08.004.zip
    32.3 KB · Views: 391
I've attached a powerlogger file if anyone wants to take a look.

A few quick observations (did not read the whole thread :p );
TPS @ WOT seems low.
Trans shifting appears "soft".

Looks like it runs pretty good!

I get that alot.

My theory is if it isn't broke, don't fix it. The head gaskets are original and have yet to give me any issues.

I'm certain in the future I'll blow one of them trying to go for broke, then I'll port the heads :)

Other then recording and studing my runs, I'm at a loss at what to do. I will be ordering an air bag this week so maybe get more shorts even lower.

i think its time to port the heads... i can def. understand why you didnt take the heads off, but after all the porting you did you left the most restrictive parts of the air stream untouched! that is the bowl and throat area of the cylinder head right behind the intake valve head. you're trying to cram more air through the same size holes as before!

from my understanding, not saying it did hurt anything, but all the port work and gasket matching has actually done is slowed the velocity of the air charge pre-cylinder head since it is still restricted in the cylinder head. hope that make sense:), not trying to bash work or anything, your car screams for a stocker:)

Well I finally did it. Went to a track rental today in Bradenton, FL and finally clicked off an 11 second time slip. Nothing has changed with the car other then continual tuning with the Maf Pro. Here is the slip below:

60' 1.620
330' 4.865
660' 7.613
MPH 89.84
1000' 9.967
1/4 11.961
MPH - 112.83

This was the best 60' and MPH to date also. I had the boost set to 25 psi, timing was 24/22, and the A/F was around 11.2:1.

Not sure how much I gained from the port and polish, but the best the car has gone before 12.17 @ 110, so I picked up 2 tenths and 2 mph. Best short before was 1.65.