You can type here any text you want

Forged 109 Crankshafts, What's Worth It These Days?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNVYUS 1

Well I haven't posted on the boards in a long time, I'm on my last and final rebuild of the 109 block and my current stock crankshaft isn't staying in the block, that's for sure.

I see a few GN Vendors with what appears to the be Eagle or Scat cranks (no one tells you the brand??) and I know DLS has his own which is something different.

What's worth it these days in aftermarket forged cranks?

Depends on where you get it but call Mike at fullthrottle and I'm sure he'll be the best priced out of the bunch.;)

So who makes the crankshaft, this is more important than which vendor sells it.

I'm starting to see that none of the vendors post the crankshaft manufacturer, I guess they make them.o_O

GNVYUS 1 said:
So who makes the crankshaft, this is more important than which vendor sells it.

I'm starting to see that none of the vendors post the crankshaft manufacturer, I guess they make them.o_O

China

This is why i havent bought one yet... not sure why there's no usa made ones available, i'd gladly pay more for one made in amurrica- i also don't like that vendors sometimes lead you to believe they have some "exclusive" parts and when they show up its the same china specials you can get anywhere.

This is why i havent bought one yet... not sure why there's no usa made ones available, i'd gladly pay more for one made in amurrica- i also don't like that vendors sometimes lead you to believe they have some "exclusive" parts and when they show up its the same china specials you can get anywhere.

I understand what you are saying. The reason is because you cannot get an american company to produce them at a reasonable price and still be profitable.

You say you will gladly pay more for an american made one, but when they tell you its $2000 compared to $700, im sure your mind would change :)

DLS was involved in making a BA forged rotating assembly. It's not from China. To my knowledge this is not something he just sells out right. It's sold when he builds the motor for you ( keeps it all in house).

I have an Eagle crank, ext balance, made probably 10 years ago that still comes from China. My K1 rods are too. Too damn expensive to forge good stuff here and not enough people willing to pay extra. Everyone says they'll pay extra but never how much extra. I'm sure someone in America will make you a crank for the right $. Eagle makes American and Chinese cranks, but the Buick V6 market is just too small to do the domestics here and sell enough to make it worthwhile.

Try the TA crank. It's overseas forged, but machined here I do believe.

we4Mateo said:
I have an Eagle crank, ext balance, made probably 10 years ago that still comes from China. My K1 rods are too. Too damn expensive to forge good stuff here and not enough people willing to pay extra. Everyone says they'll pay extra but never how much extra. I'm sure someone in America will make you a crank for the right $. Eagle makes American and Chinese cranks, but the Buick V6 market is just too small to do the domestics here and sell enough to make it worthwhile.

FYI - I spent about $2700 on a finished Crower crank made in USA. When I say finished, My machine shop and I gave them the finished specs on the rods and mains and also the bob weight so all we needed to do was check final balance. Sounds like a lot of money but will cause a lot of damage when one breaks...
AG

OK guys reality check time, sorry if this is not what anyone wants to hear or if it ruffles some of the other vendors who won't speak the truth, but it is what it is. In the beginning of the China crank thing a few years ago there was two companies making them there. One stopped, now there is one. If you buy or bought a crank from ANYONE including BA/DLS, Eagle, Scat, GN1, US or whoever selling a crank under $1000 it comes from one place in China. Some are finished there some were finished here but frankly some of the work here was awful and no better, some was excellent and made them nice. Over the years they have been refined so the radius as fixed, flex plates fit properly and the little problems have been worked out. The current ones are pretty good out of the box. They have stood the test in some VERY fast cars and failures are few and far between. I see BMS cranks break about as much these days they are old and many are used up. Your other option is Crower or one of the custom guys, plan on $3K plus in the end.

Thanks Mike,

From a consumer standpoint and so IMO, vendors need to be direct to their target market. Not dodging the specs and having a "don't ask don't tell policy". Being direct (as you just have) portrays confidence in what you believe is the best crank for the money; this is what customers are really buying.
In other words...These cranks are made in X location. They are a good crank because of Y, and here are examples of them making Z power (under the given criteria "good tune, etc").

That above statement is so true. I have contacted many of the BMS custom crank companies that have either made or continue to make Buick cranks. I had price ranges from $2900 to $3500 for billets. I have 3 raw BMS forgings that would still cost me in the range of $1300 ea. + a years time to make. Once complete either one of those cranks can be sold for close to $2000. It's very hard to swallow the price of a good crank when it comes time to build a hi performance Buick V6 engine. Buy yourself one of the forged strokers that are currently on the market before the supply dries up again, seems like it was a mad scramble there for a minute a couple of years ago, I think you will be happy.

has anyone pushed the limits of a china crank?? Do we have a horsepower estimate?

there is MANY of them in the 9's and a few in the 8's. Thanks for the nice comments I am just sick of the lies being told about parts from vendors and the repeating of those items by people who read them but have never even seen or used one of these cranks. I just built a V6 for myself and that is what I put in it. Maybe I will find a car to put it in who knows
Mike

kidglok said:
has anyone pushed the limits of a china crank?? Do we have a horsepower estimate?

Dude...he just told you. Everyone who hasn't paid $3000 that's running one. So every 9 sec stroker is running a forged in China crank.
Lets say 900-1000 and maybe higher.

Awww Mike...you posted 1 min before me. At least I was making a similar statement as yours. I figured 9 sec and faster.

Thanks

My first forged crank years ago was a used BMS that broke on run-in at low RPM with a fresh build.

I know of other BMS cranks that have given up with years of use and abuse, but yet to see a China forged crank just break?

Unless you plan to exceed 1000 HP, that should still be a safe limit, so the China crank limit is WAY beyond the strength limit of a 109 block no matter how many mods or add-ons are done to the block. :)

If you are building a $25K all-out race engine with a stage or alum block, maybe then spend the extra $1700 for a billet crank. ;)

Back