fuel line size upgrade lesson learned

I can only go by what was advertised. Chuck posted a link to this chart a couple of days ago showing the test results of double pumpers. I would think if the results on this chart were simply divided in half you could get a good idea of single pump flow rate.

dualpumpflow.png

Simple return line test: Run the return into a can, and see what you get.
I didn't see a mention of the gauge you are using. What is it?

We need a New up to date test on all the single pumps out their to put all these manufacturers claims to rest...

Simple return line test: Run the return into a can, and see what you get.
I didn't see a mention of the gauge you are using. What is it?

Kenne Bell gauge on the hood, but I ran one on rail also and they were consistent.

i tested an aero 340 on a double pump setup and found that it wasnt delivering 340lph and fell much shorter than expected at operating pressure with only 1/2 gallon per minute at 70psi which is only about 120lph and that was on AN lines .. so much for their claims . with that output you wont have issues with idle fuel pressure on stock lines but you wont be running high hp on it either
changed to twin reds pumps and saw 1 gallon per minute per pump or around 240lph at 70psi
This is very close to what I saw. At 16v this number would be substantially higher too. The xp pumps hold volume at high pressure like a champ. With a baseline pressure of 48psi the xp double maintains 78-80psi on my blue car easily. Allows you to take a smaller injector and get more flow out of it too. I would not be afraid to go 145mph with the XP double as long as the lines weren't compromised and the pump wiring was correct. My results are on old pumps too. One pair is 10 years old

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Last edited:
I cut my Saginaw fitting by the frame off ran a 5/16" fuel injected line to the regulator. The Pressure was at 50psi with no drop I had 128 on my BLM's. Im gonna try some new fittings on the FPR to eliminate the o ring and see if it will drop a bit more. This is after I installed a 340LPH pump from RX.
u3a5ytap.jpg

I've heard people say, they upgraded and had no issue.
I don't know of any post that stated that the stock return line could be used with no problems when using a 340 liter/hour pump. It is a certainty that you will have this problem with this pump. The feed line is not problematic in this situation,only the return.

I don't know of any post that stated that the stock return line could be used with no problems when using a 340 liter/hour pump. It is a certainty that you will have this problem with this pump. The feed line is not problematic in this situation,only the return.

Check the 5th post for one.

Check the 5th post for one.
i hate to tell you this but there were no 340lph pumps 10 yrs ago , im certain he is confused as to what you had when he posted and that he has a walbro 340 ( 255lph high pressure pump)

That wasn't the only post, but you're right, maybe they were confused.

So, the lesson learned here, for me, is to install a larger return line with a 340 lph fuel pump. Info I wish I had prior to my adventures.

bigger question is why do you have a 340lph pump , your combo in your sig doesnt suggest that you need that much fuel or are you doing e85

Info I wish I had prior to my adventures.
This would have been very easy to discover. You could have found many threads where I was shouted down for warning people of this problem. I'm sorry that you've been effected by this needless problem.

It's the regulator that is the restriction. I don't remember the specifics, but its like only .187 inches at one point, smaller than stock. I heard you can drill it out some to make it better. I researched when I needed more fuel and went -8 feed -6 return with TFE lines using the stock rail. Took some effort but was worth it.

Link to my install: http://tinyurl.com/kb5vjdn

It's the regulator that is the restriction. I don't remember the specifics, but its like only .187 inches at one point, smaller than stock. I heard you can drill it out some to make it better. I researched when I needed more fuel and went -8 feed -6 return with TFE lines using the stock rail. Took some effort but was worth it.

Link to my install: http://tinyurl.com/kb5vjdn
If the regulator is the problem,why did you replace the lines?

I'm on e85 so maybe it's different but I had a base of 50 to 55 psi with no control with a deatchwerks dw300. Tried drilling out all of the saginaw fittings with no results. Put in a new dash 6 return line and now I have full control of fp.

its not the reg, its the return, we usually upgrade the feed line and use the stock feed as the return, problem solved and both get an upgrade
Mike

its not the reg, its the return, we usually upgrade the feed line and use the stock feed as the return, problem solved and both get an upgrade
Mike

this ^, I agree and its what i do when you dont want to spring big bucks for fuel lines