You can type here any text you want

NVU gauge cluster installation.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
On the resistor wiring,where is the brown alternator ground wire? It looks like we're adding a wire to plug #3 for one end of the resistor.

On the resistor wiring,where is the brown alternator ground wire? It looks like we're adding a wire to plug #3 for one end of the resistor.
Brown volt indicator wire is C1-3 on analog dash and C1-2 on digital dash. I don't recall adding a wire to get the alternator to charge, just the resistor between the brown wire and red wire. I may have those backwards so look at the diagram that Steve added on the first page to confirm

Drove my car to work two days this week and the instruments worked as advertised. It took a few runs to calibrate the speedo. I still have some reservations with the speedo. After getting the dial calibrated to display the correct speed, the odometer does not reflect accurate distance traveled. From my driveway to the parking lot at work is exactly 29.1 miles, this has been verified with gps, and several other vehicles that I own. The new odometer in my buick displayed 28.3 but displayed accurate speeds during the entire drive. This may not be of concern to some but it bothers me.

The fuel gauge really bounces around. Not certain if this due to me having a digital dash and something with the resistance in the sender. I replaced my fuel level sender with an after market one when I replaced the fuel pump and vaguely remember something about there being a difference in the senders with a digital verses an analog dash. This may bother some... I can live with it.

Overall, I would give this thing a 9 out of 10. The somewhat incomplete instructions for our specific cars verses the money (NVU should have let Steve have the prototype to work out the details). The confusing statements made in the instructions didn't help either. And my other complaint is the speedo. It frustrates me that a calibration technique used to display a correct speed does not also correlate to a correct distance traveled.

Customer service is beyond reproach! Mark was top notch! Whenever I called or emailed, he was quick to respond or ship out any missing parts. This dash is light years ahead of what Buick installed!

Can you verify how you wired your vss sensor? I am trying to figure out if i need to wire it to the vss buffer or to brown wire into the ecm? Thx

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Can you verify how you wired your vss sensor? I am trying to figure out if i need to wire it to the vss buffer or to brown wire into the ecm? Thx

The pink/black is power, the red is for cruise, the Orn is the ECM if you have the analog dash, the brown is the ECM if you have the digital dash. This is the four wires coming out of the VSS

I started the wiring tonight got them all soldered to the Caspers connector save for the seat belt mod we have to do since I am waiting on terminals from NVU, and as Warp6 stated my #3 plug doesn't have a top center red wire as from the diagram provided earlier.
The instructions I got with the kit do not even show a red top center wire or the resistor. The battery indicator is plugged into the gauge. If the brown wire on the Buick is not excited the alternator will NOT charge.
I soldered a 22 ga. wire on the M/15 location on the Caspers connector that is a POS pink/blk that is unused for this application I think i will just wire in the resistor between that m/15 and the brown alt wire.
(I will draw diagrams when I get this all sorted out ........)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
I wired the two pulse sender at the ECM. Steve doesn't fell you need to go this far so I would wait to see how he gets it wired. He seems to have a much better understanding of this cars wiring schematic than I do. Don't get me wrong, I can read a wiring schematic but I have other priorities that won't allow me to be the expert that he is.

I wired the 3 pulse speed sender as depicted in the schematic that Steve has posted on this thread's first page.

BTW guys who have their kits installed how did you address the resistor installation? Did anyone call tech about it?

BTW guys who have their kits installed how did you address the resistor installation? Did anyone call tech about it?

I previously installed a Caspers field- fix harness so I am not too concerned right now. I am sure I will still wire in the resistor if needed, just for consistency - I have a lot of other necessary wiring to do first and it's been too cold in the garage to get under the car, so things have been delayed.... I am really sick of the winter.

I did call tech and emailed back and forth with Mark over the resistor. Can't recall for certian off the top of my head, so when I get home this evening, I'll take a look at the dash... My dash is still temporarily installed with butt splices and it's super easy to take in and out with the connectors.

I got the dash back out and confirmed that I spliced the resistor between the brown voltage indicator wire and the other pink and black switched power wire on the C1connector. Pic to follow.... As soon as my phone shares the photo to the photo stream

I got the dash back out and confirmed that I spliced the resistor between the brown voltage indicator wire and the other pink and black switched power wire on the C1connector. Pic to follow.... As soon as my phone shares the photo to the photo stream

Where do you get the resistor?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
On another note... I am running alky and have a turn on light that turns red when the system arms and then green when it is spraying. I had this light mounted next to my boost gauge on the a-pillar before the NVU dash. I was thinking of installing it in the new dash next to the new boost gauge but I am bit worried about drilling a hole in the new dash. With lights already sandwiched in between the 3 piece dash, I'm concerned I might mess the back lighting up. Any thoughts?

On another note... I am running alky and have a turn on light that turns red when the system arms and then green when it is spraying. I had this light mounted next to my boost gauge on the a-pillar before the NVU dash. I was thinking of installing it in the new dash next to the new boost gauge but I am bit worried about drilling a hole in the new dash. With lights already sandwiched in between the 3 piece dash, I'm concerned I might mess the back lighting up. Any thoughts?

I would call Mark, no telling what you may drill thru!!!

Question for you guys running the Caspers dash connector, on Position 15 [C1-M] on the "Yellow Dot" Board is a feed from the GAGES Fuse POS+ Feed - are you guys using the same feed from Position 1 [C1-A] (Red Dot Board) or are you doing something else….. sorry if this has been mentioned before.

thanks
aaron

Great idea! I think I might do that too. I think that is the most logical place to put the alky led. I haven't started on mine yet. I'm in the middle of doing the timing chain, valve springs, etc, etc.

I will be giving this some deeper thought tho. I'm not sure about drilling a hole in the panel???

That led is a dual lights with 2 wires so I assume that means when it is red it is one polarity and then it switches polarity to indicate green.
I was just going to use the extra installed warning (!) light for the red indicator on the alky kit; it is a little extra wiring back and forth but shouldnt be an issue.

Back