NVU gauge cluster installation.

Sounds like we were sold some bottom of the line gauges for top $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FWIW... I think the gauges themselves are okay but some of the sending units are less than desirable

Aha. Well that would explain it. I wonder if anyone has contacted NVU to find out if they will help?

The fuel gauge could at least be buffered.... We should not have to watch the fuel slosh around in the tank only to settle out once It is out of gas.... That gauge works off our fuel sender

NVU Are the experts on this. Maybe it would help if Steve contacted them on our behalf to figure a solution. It seems as though most guys are having several issues.

I know I have contacted them more than once to get specs on sending units. I now use an auto meter FP sending unit and a VDO oil pressure.... Believe me guys I have way more into my dash than most. Overall I am happy but I do agree- for the price you should get quality sending units.

I would encourage everyone who is having problems to open a ticket with NVU tech support and provide a detailed description with video/photos of what is wrong with the dash. These problems need to be addressed by them one on one.
I think a group tech issue will have people fall in the cracks.
I had issues with my boost gauge and they sent me a new sender. The temp gauge I still have problems, but I need to find time to isolate and be 100% sure the wires were routed right.
For what it is worth on my other car I did the 1995 park avenue dash and that one has speedo, tach, temp, fuel, off from 10-25 % volts is accurate and oil I haven't confirmed but don't trust it.
The best dash I had was the AVC from the 1990s with VDO gauges but it was ugly as hell.

I now declare that I'm the last to install this dash, but after reading 28 pages I have a few questions before starting. Regarding speed sensors, do I need the JTR sensor AND the gps one, or the GM16 sensor and the gps one? Also, what did anyone figure anything out about the fuel gauge issues? Thanks and Cheers!

Good question about the fuel gauge..... I have ran out of gas twice and go stuck on the road.

Either the GPS or the JTR, the GPS is probably a simpler install and cleaner too.
Not everyone is having the fuel sender issues contact NVU tech support before your warranty runs out. You can also test the ohms on the fuel sender wire it is 0-90 90 is full.

To measure the resistance, disconnect the plug at the sender and use the digital multi-meter set to Ohms.

NOTE: Depending on how your sender is grounded, do one of the following:

• 1.) If the sender is grounded through the fuel tank - connect one lead of the multi-meter to the sender wire and the other lead to the body of the sender.
  • 2.) If the sender is not grounded through the fuel tank - connect one lead of the meter to the sender wire and the other lead to the ground wire of the sender.
Measure the resistance when the tank is empty, and again when the tank is full. Once you know both values, refer to the chart to select the right fuel gauge. Always be sure of what your existing gauge requires.

Common Values

Ohms/Resistance (Empty-Full)
Popular Models
0-90 Ohms Most GM midsize cars, from '65 to present

I now declare that I'm the last to install this dash, but after reading 28 pages I have a few questions before starting. Regarding speed sensors, do I need the JTR sensor AND the gps one, or the GM16 sensor and the gps one? Also, what did anyone figure anything out about the fuel gauge issues? Thanks and Cheers!
No sir , you are not.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I never had any problems with the fuel gauge except for it bouncing around quite a bit. If I had it to do over, the speedo is the biggest concern for me. Not only with daily driving so I don't get a ticket but, more importantly, with tuning a TT chip on a factory ECM. What ever gets you a consistent VSS signal to the ECM is a must. I would do the GPS as long as it has the 2 pulse signal for the ECM. I did the whole 2 pulse on top of a 3 pulse sender at the tranny. Had to clearance the floor pan. Had intermittent signal going to the ECM after a few thousand miles. Car is sold now and I have a moved on to a limited with it's own issues. I would definitely put in another one of these gauge kits but right now I'm looking at the dash that GNS has come up with.

Hey Guys, yet another question! Will the Painless Performance 60115 speed sensor work? Both JTR and Nook and Tranny are on back order and I need to get this thing together. Thanks

Ok, doesn't really matter about the Painless speed sensor, since they're backordered also. Do any of you that haven't yet installed your dash have the JTR or the other 2 pulse sensor you would sell me? And I'll sell you mine when it comes in. I'll pay shipping both ways!!
My car is at Richard Clarks Garage and his electrician is working on the dash now. I REALLY need that sensor!! Thanks!