You can type here any text you want

OK, what's the secret to sealing oil return lines?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pronto

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
Last year I replaced my turbo and thought I would go ahead and put a new stock oil return line on. Needless to say it made me learn to swear in new languages. So now a year later I got some weeping from the flange that is rather annoying. What are the tricks to get the line not to leak? I tried to tighten the bolts more but all I could get on them was open end wrenches and had no swing with them. I used a good OEM thick gasket too. Oh yea, any tricks on how to do this without taking everything off? Thanks!

weepin from the flange or tube part ??? could have a hairline crack ??? :redface:

I use loctite 518 and no gasket. They never leak or weep this way. If the line is cracked you will need a new one. Use laquer thinner to clean off the oil before using the sealant.

You can also use a stud and nut instead of the stock bolt, easier to line it up that way. Won't necessarily keep it from leaking, but makes putting it on easier. ;)

I believe it's weeping from the flange, although it took a fair amount of "massaging" to get the line to bend the way it needed to. I never felt I got it tightened down well. If I remembered correctly I used a skimcoat of silicon on the gasket too.

all i do is use a new gasket clean both the turbo and the drain tube very well put a thin coat of silcone smooth with your fingure . no leaks ever.

Dry thick gasket and STUDS.

Put the gasket over the studs and it will stay up on the turbo part without any goop.

Massage the stock line onto the studs and it will go on easily and then use a lock washer and nut.

Start with clean surfaces as mentioned and since you will get it first try, so the gasket won't get all jacked up and oil won't be all over everything by the time you try to get those damm bolts in.

so the gasket won't get all jacked up and oil won't be all over everything by the time you try to get those damm bolts in.

I think that was pretty much the issue. I'll try the studs.

Got it apart. Definately a gasket leak, oil all over the bolts and threads. It slipped right off, no silicone. Both flanges feel smooth. The tube was easy to wipe off but the turbo flange is going to take a week to stop oozing enough to "clean" it.:rolleyes: Gonna go the stud route I think. Is that 5/16th fine thread?

Got it apart. Definately a gasket leak, oil all over the bolts and threads. It slipped right off, no silicone. Both flanges feel smooth. The tube was easy to wipe off but the turbo flange is going to take a week to stop oozing enough to "clean" it.:rolleyes: Gonna go the stud route I think. Is that 5/16th fine thread?

8x1.25 threads. Try the loctite 518. It works well. Even if you use a gasket. Silicone is not the greatest sealer to use on the return.

8x1.25, OK, thanks. I happen to have a Felpro gasket but another friend mentioned a thick white gasket as well. Anyone know who sells them?

Back