The air ram fab begins

blackgn1

Set on TSM Boost
I have started my custom air ram pickup. Time to try out the new tig welder.:D airdam1.jpgairdam2.jpg
Made the template from thin cardboard type material. I will transfer this to sheet metal and start cutting.

Looks like a good start. You going to build it out of aluminum? What kind of welder did you pick up?

Thanks Charlie. I thought about putting it here after I had already posted. I'm going to make one out of steel and on out of aluminum. I got the Eastwood Tig welder. My aluminum welds look better than my steel. Go figure.:D I have noticed that the fast guys have been using ram air. This could be argued for days. I have had the filter under the hood and under the bumper. When I went to MAFless the turbo sounded insane when the throttle body was snapped shut. Loved it. I won't be using a filter but I drive very little on the street and never in the rain so I'm not concerned about picking up any materials that will go through the turbo. On the track at high speeds I feel sure that air is being forced toward the turbo with the ram air pickup.

Well hell, if I was closer I'd bring a 6 pack and do some TIG work with ya.:D Did you ever get out to nut cave trout farm with the kids yet?:cool:

Thanks for the info on the welder. I saw in Car Craft where they are selling their TIG machine and Plasma Cutter for like $999 for both. That is about $500- $600 off their reg price. I have been needing to replace my old Craftsman MIG. ;)

airram2.jpg
Here it is welded up. The fit looks good so far. With this size and small tapered design it will fit in the stock airdam.

Good question ?

With it being out the back that's going to be a lot of hose

Mine points up under the hood so I can attach hose to turbo

I cut a hole where the air canister used to sit and hooked up hose there

Really nice job on the Fab work!!!

Are you going to do any testing or has some already been done to see if "ram air" helps on a turbo car?

Can tell u that I picked up 3lbs of boost because of the ram air,with out turning up the boost controller

It really works!!!!

JD

Do I understand correctly that you plan on not running an air filter with this ?