Think I need to port the wastegate hole??

Looks like you have about a quarter inch of interference at the ex out near the top

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

This downpipe is not the greatest. When I install it I try to pull it upwards before tightening the bolts to try and get the outlet and the bypass hole to line up decent with the holes in the downpipe flange. At least the bypass hole in the housing is completely within the bypass hole in the downpipe flange but the outlet not lining up is probably hurting power. Will see how it runs this weekend.

External gate pipes are a pain.
That depends on who made the pipe...The GN1 pipe looks good on the surface...the pipe is nowhere near the greatest pipe out there, I ditched mine not long after I bought it, needs too much work, fitment was not good, hit the inner fender well and melted it. Boost control was non existent, the knockoff waste gate was not the greatest either. I am happy with the one I have now.

Bryan

I just did a test run. Holds steady at 24 psi now through 3rd gear and into 4th. This is with the 7 lb spring in the gate and the bottom port on the gate hooked directly to the turbo (no controller) and the top port on the gate open. I will jack up the base fuel pressure and that should get it rich enough to run 24 psi for now. Will turn the boost back up when I get bigger injectors someday. Will get a real wastegate and or better downpipe someday too. Torque converter is next though. Thanks for all the help!

I just did a test run. Holds steady at 24 psi now through 3rd gear and into 4th. This is with the 7 lb spring in the gate and the bottom port on the gate hooked directly to the turbo (no controller) and the top port on the gate open. I will jack up the base fuel pressure and that should get it rich enough to run 24 psi for now. Will turn the boost back up when I get bigger injectors someday. Will get a real wastegate and or better downpipe someday too. Torque converter is next though. Thanks for all the help!
Do you have a before/after duty cycle number? It should feel like quite a bit

Looks like the duty cycle is down maybe 9% but is hard to tell. Still at the limits. Will have to turn up the fuel pressure quite a bit to support 24 psi boost I think. New turbo does not seem to heat the air up nearly as much as the old one.

Looks like the duty cycle is down maybe 9% but is hard to tell. Still at the limits. Will have to turn up the fuel pressure quite a bit to support 24 psi boost I think. New turbo does not seem to heat the air up nearly as much as the old one.
I mean duty cycle at 24psi vs old turbo

Oh. Still hard to compare data but it is definitely taking more fuel at the same boost level. New turbo makes motor go higher RPM and heats the air less. I found 2 logs where the boost is about the same, air fuel ratio is about the same, RPM's are about the same, and the injector duty cycle is about the same but at that point with the old turbo my intake air temp was 152 and only 84 with the new turbo. Some of this is due to lower ambient temperature right now but the new turbo is definitely more efficient. On the SD chip there is a "made up" mass air flow number that is calculated. I know this number is not accurate but I still look at as a relative gauge of airflow. At the point above the "MAF" with old turbo was around 525 and new turbo was 575 g/s. Higher RPM combined with more boost I saw "MAF" numbers as high as 730 with the new turbo and highest of 530 with the old turbo. Again, this "MAF" number on the SD chip is sort of imaginary as I am not running a MAF sensor but it is calculated based on some real data so I use it as a general indicator of estimated airflow. I am going to turn up the base FP tomorrow and see if I can get the AFR down closer to 11:1. Am close to 11.8:1 right now at 100% DC.

Oh. Still hard to compare data but it is definitely taking more fuel at the same boost level. New turbo makes motor go higher RPM and heats the air less. I found 2 logs where the boost is about the same, air fuel ratio is about the same, RPM's are about the same, and the injector duty cycle is about the same but at that point with the old turbo my intake air temp was 152 and only 84 with the new turbo. Some of this is due to lower ambient temperature right now but the new turbo is definitely more efficient. On the SD chip there is a "made up" mass air flow number that is calculated. I know this number is not accurate but I still look at as a relative gauge of airflow. At the point above the "MAF" with old turbo was around 525 and new turbo was 575 g/s. Higher RPM combined with more boost I saw "MAF" numbers as high as 730 with the new turbo and highest of 530 with the old turbo. Again, this "MAF" number on the SD chip is sort of imaginary as I am not running a MAF sensor but it is calculated based on some real data so I use it as a general indicator of estimated airflow. I am going to turn up the base FP tomorrow and see if I can get the AFR down closer to 11:1. Am close to 11.8:1 right now at 100% DC.
Mathematically that's about 5% more hp at the same boost/rpm. Once you turn it up you should see a huge increase in power.

At 28 psi it was crazy fast (and lean). Still runs pretty hard at 24 psi. I turned up the base FP to 55 psi and ran it out through 4th gear. AFR is down close to 11:1 now in top of third gear. Injector duty cycle was at 100% at that point. Spool is a little slow with the 7 lb spring in the gate and hose straight from turbo to bottom port on gate (no controller). I will put the boost controller back on and adjust to get the spool-up faster. I will eventually get a real boost controller and do it right.

Hey Brian, why don't you give the Downpipe manufacturer a call. I am sure they will be able help you with your problems. They have for me.
Just my $.02
Prasad:)

Hey Brian, why don't you give the Downpipe manufacturer a call. I am sure they will be able help you with your problems. They have for me.
Just my $.02
Prasad:)

I hope the OP speaks Chinese :)

I should have called the vendor when I first got it but I figured the fitment issues were typical problems with downpipes so I just made it fit and work. Had it for over 3 years now. Even got it coated when I got my headers coated a few months ago. I will get something better next time around.

I should have called the vendor when I first got it but I figured the fitment issues were typical problems with downpipes so I just made it fit and work. Had it for over 3 years now. Even got it coated when I got my headers coated a few months ago. I will get something better next time around.
I have one of GN1's early version 3" down pipes where the pipe fits right up to the headers where it goes down. Fitment is awesome but I had to cut the pipe up to enlarge the hole for the wastegate. I will never get rid of this pipe because it fits so good. Don't think he makes them anymore. I believe they were made for stock type headers