You can type here any text you want

Time to go Stage II!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
What the author failed to mention with the use of bushed lifters is that the oil better be very clean. Any small dirt or debris metal or otherwise will destroy a bushed type lifter much faster than its counter roller bearing part.
My shop has seen plenty of of failures with the bushed type lifters. They both have pluses and minuses. Either way lash inspection should be performed regularly to spot trouble early.

What the author failed to mention with the use of bushed lifters is that the oil better be very clean. Any small dirt or debris metal or otherwise will destroy a bushed type lifter much faster than its counter roller bearing part.
My shop has seen plenty of of failures with the bushed type lifters. They both have pluses and minuses. Either way lash inspection should be performed regularly to spot trouble early.
I caught that when I was reading up on the bushed lifters. Someone mentioned something like, "As long as one is willing to change the oil often." That seems to follow your line of thought about keeping the oil clean. That won't be a problem for me. With alcohol fuel, you do change the oil often. Plus, I run multiple filters in my oiling system.
What sort of failures have you seen with the bushed lifters? I've been trying to find some information on failures with the bushed lifters.
I would imagine that the bushings wear just like any other bronze type bushing. One should be able to catch that sort of wear through routine valve adjustment records and watching for changes in lash. Catching when a bushed lifter is going downhill has got to be much, much more apparent than trying to guess when a needle roller is about ready to give up the ghost!

I've used the Crower hippo's on several motors without any issues andf would not hesitate to run them in any application. I planned to turn my big block 8000-8500 so I went with the .903 Jesel's.

Too bad I can;t use the ISKY lifters in my motor at all, no shielded foot design.

I've used the Crower hippo's on several motors without any issues andf would not hesitate to run them in any application. I planned to turn my big block 8000-8500 so I went with the .903 Jesel's.

X2. I used them in my stage 2 .843 350lbs on the seat. 7500+ rpm never an issue. I feel not having enough seat pressure along with not enough push rod is where you get into trouble with the rollers.

Can anyone tell me what the normal thickness of the Stage II intake manifold gasket is?
I have a set that is 1/8" thick and is a harder, stiff fiber like material. I also have a Felpro set that is 1/16" thick and is the more typical softer, bendy fiber material. I would think that under high boost numbers, the thicker, stiff gasket would resist blowout better.

Can anyone tell me what the normal thickness of the Stage II intake manifold gasket is?
I have a set that is 1/8" thick and is a harder, stiff fiber like material. I also have a Felpro set that is 1/16" thick and is the more typical softer, bendy fiber material. I would think that under high boost numbers, the thicker, stiff gasket would resist blowout better.

Don,
From what you are describing, I use two on each side of the 1/8 thick gaskets. They are a dark grey in color with no embosments like the Felpro's.

Allan G.

Don,
From what you are describing, I use two on each side of the 1/8 thick gaskets. They are a dark grey in color with no embosments like the Felpro's.

Allan G.
Two on each side? Why is that?
Do you know who manufactures the thick grey gaskets? Who supplies them?

Two on each side? Why is that?
Don,

Don't know why. I always thought it was because the modified 4 BBL intake I had was for a set of heads that were milled or something. Then I bought a fabricated intake from a board member and it fit the same. Maybe my heads are not milled down as typically found ?

Using two thick gaskets aligned the port perfectly so I just ran with it. Glued the gaskets together with red spray-on stuff(Don't remember what it was called).

Allan G.

Don,

Don't know why. I always thought it was because the modified 4 BBL intake I had was for a set of heads that were milled or something. Then I bought a fabricated intake from a board member and it fit the same. Maybe my heads are not milled down as typically found ?

Using two thick gaskets aligned the port perfectly so I just ran with it. Glued the gaskets together with red spray-on stuff(Don't remember what it was called).

Allan G.
Do you know who can supply the thicker grey gaskets? I don't want to fab an intake for the thick gaskets, then find out they're hard to source.

Do you know who can supply the thicker grey gaskets? I don't want to fab an intake for the thick gaskets, then find out they're hard to source.

I don't know who makes these. I found a bunch new and unused at a swap meet years ago. Would like to know a source for "Just in Case".

Allan G.

I don't know who makes these. I found a bunch new and unused at a swap meet years ago. Would like to know a source for "Just in Case".

Allan G.

Should also add that I seen these in selective thicknesses other than 1/8. I kniow I have some in my stash.

Allan G.

I've added a few new pics over the last couple pages.

Here's the manifold I'm going to cut up to use as a starting point for the new intake.
This is an Edelbrock Buick Stage II Tunnel Ram intake manifold for an off-center block application. Someone had started trying to modify this intake for an on-center application before I got it.

IMGP2537rs.jpg

This pic shows the clearance available for the intake with the valve covers in place.

IMGP2535rs.jpg

Donnie I will take those rockers off your hands if they are new. At your level you should be using JESEL type anyway, with stands. How many CC's are the heads,and what type of head gasket if I may ask?

Donnie I will take those rockers off your hands if they are new. At your level you should be using JESEL type anyway, with stands. How many CC's are the heads,and what type of head gasket if I may ask?
They are a fresh set. Never used. Why do you think they're not up to the job?
The chambers are 45cc. The head gaskets will be SCE Pro Copper .043" thick with o-rings and receiver grooves. That's the head gasket setup I used with the Stage I configuration and it did a great job.

Oh they will work, but I always thought the Jesels were the ticket for high spring pressures, maybe someone on the board can enlighten us on the advantages or disadvantages of going to the Jesel style system.

The T&D will take any thing you can throw at them. We have used them for years with very high spring PSI and never had A problem.

Initial plans for the intake are to cut the plenum off, leaving about 5-6 inches of intake runner length, measured from the gasket surface of the mounting flange to the cutoff line. The ends of what's left of the runners will be made parallel to the intake mounting flange surface. The intake runners may end up being a shorter length in the final stage of development, but for now I'll give myself a little extra length.
The valley cover section of the manifold will be cut out leaving the two sides of the intake independent of each other. This will allow precise alignment of the intake throughout its service life, no matter what gets surfaced in future builds. This will also eliminate the need to surface the intake flange or acquire different intake manifold gasket thicknesses in the future. A small section of the valley cover will be left attached to the flange section of each side to help facilitate the mounting of an independent valley cover.
The arrangement of having each side of the intake independent will also allow the manifold to be used on an off-center or on-center block. Provisions in the plenum mounting will also have to be made to make switching from an on-center to off-center block possible.

Back