You can type here any text you want

Are you really filling your tank up?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNBRETT

Pelennor Fields
A few interesting suggestions:

Only buy or fill up your car in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold.
In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel, jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products play an important role. A one degree rise in temperature is a big deal in the business but the Service Stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps. All Service Stations have their storage tanks buried beneath the ground. The colder the ground the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or evening your gallon is not exactly a gallon. This time of the year where I live and most of the people reading this live we don’t have to worry about it getting warm in the afternoon.

When you are filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode.
If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages; low, middle and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you you are pumping on the fast
rate, some of the liquid that goes into your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is HALF FULL.
The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

I pour the gas out of 5 gallon pails into my GN. Pump gas my a$$!:eek:

good info. the problem is the loss is so minimal. i delt with alot of fuel in the airforce and expansion rates due to extreme heat and cold are less then you would think. density change was a factor when working with millons of gallons however it wasnt that great. now you talk about 20-30 gallons of unleaded, the loss isnt worth the trouble.

if i still worked at the base i could get you some #'s. i probley still can but i will see what other people post first.

I worked for a very large oil company for 9 years as a Terminal operator and later as a terminal supervisor before I swiched careers. I had to over see and be involved with everthing from the moment we took product in via pipeline, to storage, product quality control, inventories, and everything else in between to the point it was loaded through the rack on transport trucks. Some very good points posted above. I remember my first year with the company walking on open floater roofs inspecting the pontoons, it was very strange the first time knowing I was walking on a floating roof with 40,000 bbls of gasoline under me.

Back