You can type here any text you want

Before Black BS'ing thread.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Attachments

• GN motor.jpg
    GN motor.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 123
Random question... can you replace a ball joint without removing the brake assembly, and how/where do you dispose of r12 freon? there isint much left, but enough that some escaped while attempting to convert it to 134a.

BTW... r12 Is SOOO much cooler that 134a... IMO, DONT convert it, if you can find some fitting from the junkyard and CAREFULLY try to remove the older fittings IF you can find r12 freon which can be difficult, but theres always that one person (similar to someone on this B4 board i wont mention any names:biggrin:) who has some stockpiled.

if you cant tell, im workin on the suburban.

Upper or lower? When I did my lower I eneded up pulling the lower A arm out and using a 30 ton press to push it out, and ended up needing the torch. No you dont have to remove the spindle but its 3 bolts and the break line.

Upper or lower? When I did my lower I eneded up pulling the lower A arm out and using a 30 ton press to push it out, and ended up needing the torch. No you dont have to remove the spindle but its 3 bolts and the break line.

aw jeez... probably both... suburbans are known for these wearing out, so i figured why not just replace em now maybe.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/pa...1329-looking-reasonable-engine-rebuilder.html

my fingers are crossed... so if your nearby... dont be shy.. drop me a line...

83Turbo

i really hope someone helps you out. make a craigslist post too. there are alot of people out of work now looking for side jobs. just make sure you have enough cash before you do it. plan on spending over $1000 or more for someone to do all that. as for mods the only thing i would do is the cam. the head porting is gong to cost alot. way to much for a small budget. the only way to port heads cheap is to do it yourself.

Yeah look for parts and take that amount, multiply it by 2 and thats what its costing you. The ONLY reason my build seems cheep is that I spread it over 2 years. Bottom end, then the top end. If your not going to do it yourself you better have a big pocket book. Its not the machining or parts that get expensive, its paying the guy to put it together.

plan on spending 2500 minimum kid

yea... to matt, and MNcarbturbo... i do plan on spending a bit... but very slowly as to avoid busting the bank. I can try to port the heads myself however (you guys make it seem like a cakewalk, so i figured WTF, why not) and i want to get the motor back to stock as possible... I dont trust craigslist people, the only people i trust are shops i take it to, or the people on this board...

I would just take the heads to a shop and have them checked out and have the seals and springs replaced. If you can't rebuild that motor yourself you shouldn't be putting a grinder to anything. I suggest you get at least 1500 to get started. The guy that helps you out isn't going to want to wait around for you to save money and he definitely isn't going to be happy when he finds out you don't have money to pay him.

yea... to matt, and MNcarbturbo... i do plan on spending a bit... but very slowly as to avoid busting the bank. I can try to port the heads myself however (you guys make it seem like a cakewalk, so i figured WTF, why not) and i want to get the motor back to stock as possible... I dont trust craigslist people, the only people i trust are shops i take it to, or the people on this board...

you can keep the heads stock you know. what everyone doesn't tell you is you can ruin a set of heads doing it wrong. i wished i had more time and you lived closer to me. then i would just port some heads for you. i have to add doing a 3 angle valve job is not cheap. good machine shops charge alot. have the heads checked for cracks. looking at a set of heads doesnt show the small cracks. also make sure the heads are flat. again running your hand across it does not show if it is flat.

i have to add doing a 3 angle valve job is not cheap. good machine shops charge alot. have the heads checked for cracks. looking at a set of heads doesnt show the small cracks. also make sure the heads are flat. again running your hand across it does not show if it is flat.

Three ange Matt? Try pricing a seven angle valve job and find someone that knows what you're talking about.:biggrin: No I'm not kidding either. I've had 3 so called performance shops tell me they wouldn't even consider doing it because of the time involved.:mad:

We do have a local shop here that may let me come in and show them how to do it so I'm hopeful they decide to let me when I get ready to do it.:smile:

I will suggest that you pick up some books and keep them for reference so you have the info on hand if you need it. It really sin't rocket science but you do need to know what needs to be done and so does the maching shop. Call Ken and see if he can recomend a machine shop that you know is reliable. He's close enough to you so he should know of a good shop.

Three ange Matt? Try pricing a seven angle valve job and find someone that knows what you're talking about.:biggrin: No I'm not kidding either. I've had 3 so called performance shops tell me they wouldn't even consider doing it because of the time involved.:mad:

We do have a local shop here that may let me come in and show them how to do it so I'm hopeful they decide to let me when I get ready to do it.:smile:

I will suggest that you pick up some books and keep them for reference so you have the info on hand if you need it. It really sin't rocket science but you do need to know what needs to be done and so does the maching shop. Call Ken and see if he can recomend a machine shop that you know is reliable. He's close enough to you so he should know of a good shop.

to be entirely honest, i dont think he even wants to touch my car, let alone get carb turbo on his hands... he did mention he had an LS1 to drop in, but im leaning towards stock v6
besides my mark VIII this is one of the fastest stock cars ive ever driven... and in its shape is still pretty quick but it needs a rebuild. The Blowby level is insane, it idles like crap (probably because it needs a new plug on 6) the carb is a nightmare, and theres a ticking sound (yea i know:rolleyes:) probably a pushrod... i dont even want to drive it anymore till it gets done (partly due to the MASSIVE dent i put in the door dammit:mad::mad:) but ill see who i can get ahold of and who is willing to do the work guys...

BTW what is a 7 angle valve job??

to be entirely honest, i dont think he even wants to touch my car, let alone get carb turbo on his hands... he did mention he had an LS1 to drop in, but im leaning towards stock v6
besides my mark VIII this is one of the fastest stock cars ive ever driven... and in its shape is still pretty quick but it needs a rebuild. The Blowby level is insane, it idles like crap (probably because it needs a new plug on 6) the carb is a nightmare, and theres a ticking sound (yea i know:rolleyes:) probably a pushrod... i dont even want to drive it anymore till it gets done (partly due to the MASSIVE dent i put in the door dammit:mad::mad:) but ill see who i can get ahold of and who is willing to do the work guys...

BTW what is a 7 angle valve job??

I PM'd Ken a while ago about helping you but he doesn't like the carb/turbo system, to put it mildly.:rolleyes: I won't repete what he said but it wasn't nice. He may be able to help you find a good maching shop though.:smile:

As far as a 7 angle valve job it has 4 different angles on the head and 3 on the valve. You need to know what you're doing but it makes it flow better and seats the valve better so you get more performance.:biggrin:

I PM'd Ken a while ago about helping you but he doesn't like the carb/turbo system, to put it mildly.:rolleyes: I won't repete what he said but it wasn't nice. He may be able to help you find a good maching shop though.:smile:

As far as a 7 angle valve job it has 4 different angles on the head and 3 on the valve. You need to know what you're doing but it makes it flow better and seats the valve better so you get more performance.:biggrin:

told ya:rolleyes: yea, pat83t I think lives in vancouver... but thats a 2 hour drive and the buick aint up to it, and I was reccomended a shop that does work on SFI cars in Lynnwood, but that shop is gonna cost more to do it than what i got the car for:rolleyes: GNorthwest I think only specalizes in 86/87 and RARELY works on 84/85s, and i was told that a SFI swap would cost about 10 grand:eek: Im kind of on my own, and i dont have the inginuity let alone tools to get the job done sadly. my mechanic friend has gone missing and nobody has heard from him in since february.. so hes now a registered missing person:eek:

Keep in mind ill do whatever i have to do to get the car going...

wish i didnt live here:frown: really gone downhill in a handbasket...

and as for the valve job thats cool, but sounds extremily expensive...
hmm wonder how much it would cost to ship an engine???

Damn kid, you've been screwing around just as much as the rest of us. You could have learned how to do it just by cracking a book. I started out with no money on my project too. My engine rebuild was funded by massive overtime at work and side jobs. It isn't hard to rebuild a motor. Your just as good as the machine work is if that tells you anything. Pull the motor and rebuild it and have the heads checked out. If anything just buy a good longblock off the board or have someone rebuild an old crapper they got on the floor and ship it to you. Problem solved.

Damn kid, you've been screwing around just as much as the rest of us. You could have learned how to do it just by cracking a book. I started out with no money on my project too. My engine rebuild was funded by massive overtime at work and side jobs. It isn't hard to rebuild a motor. Your just as good as the machine work is if that tells you anything. Pull the motor and rebuild it and have the heads checked out. If anything just buy a good longblock off the board or have someone rebuild an old crapper they got on the floor and ship it to you. Problem solved.

sigh....... you know, if i could find a good book and a PERMANENT spot, it have the engine in this car gone throught a LONG time ago... when I start working on it, i see a girl walk by and tend to go chase after her:biggrin: (short attention span sorry) and so the car sits (as I told AJ over the phone, these cars are JUST like women lol) the car is in storage, but if anything happens, and i need to get the car out of storage asap, and its not running, im screwed, and theres not alot of room to work, about 12x20 with a foot around 3 sides of the car to work, not alot of room at at all, and with half of my tools being stolen, Ive got about 10 bucks worth of tools and tools i made with scraps (see i got a little inginuity:)) ill post pics of my little shoppette soon... I do like the old scrapper idea.. anybody have a running 83 motor that doesnt need to be rebuilt that they are willing to part with? if so drop me a line..

if there was ever a time I wanted a shot of Absolut and a cigar and just stare at the ceiling till i went blind.... itd be now...

goodnight guys...

Back