Before Black BS'ing thread.

Ive got all the parts to fix the firebird now so I should be up and rolling again soon.

That series II turbo kit would be great idea but theres a few issues. Big problem is FWD accessories wont clear a G body or any RWD chassis. That means F body oil pan, oil pickup and accessories. However, an L67 SC bottom end with F body stuff on the outisde and a turbo would haul. The SC3800 in the fbird pulls SO HARD for as cheap as it is and stock that it makes even my heavily modded (sorta) CT car seem so slow.

The big reason theres hardly any turbo 3800 F bodys around is theres no place to run the downpipe except under the K member which is retarded looking and flat out stupid. Or you loose AC but who wants that.

And since you have a few parts car sittting around you could also build mount and header kits to bolt in the series II since no one else will do it. Just looking at pics of a series II torn down it looks way beefier than the crusty old rwd v6 longblocks

It's a much better designed engine Jesse. It makes sense that it would be a muh better engine to put in a RWD chasis, but the draw back is the FWD bellhousing on it. You can get the adapter which lets you put a RWD tranny on it and then you're pretty much unlimited on how much power you can make with it.:)

I know this is not a good before black question but maybe some of you may know this. Does anyone know where to get software to reflash your obd2 computer? They also call it remapping. I have seen guys with laptops reflash their computers and get great power increase. Just wondering if anyone knew of any software. i wonder if their is any free software out their. i already have a obd2 cable for a laptop.

I found one a while ago but I don't remember if I saved it or not Matt. I'll see if I can find it.

Do you ever answer your PM's Jesse?

charlie did you ever find that link? sorry to bring this up but i was just think about it today.

in other news i almost finished the before black racing site i have been working on. http://sites.google.com/site/beforeblackracing/ what do you guys think? is their something i should add or change? if you hate it please keep it to yourself. i dont want to have any more issues here. i am just trying to help everyone. hope this helps people out. when i get everythng running ok i will make a post. right now its mostly us that look at this post.

The only thing I might add is a few links Matt. Maybe to this part of the forum and Rich's site as well.:) I'm sure Shane wouldn't have a problem with it but I'd ask Rich just to make sure.:)

I know this is not a good before black question but maybe some of you may know this. Does anyone know where to get software to reflash your obd2 computer? They also call it remapping. I have seen guys with laptops reflash their computers and get great power increase. Just wondering if anyone knew of any software. i wonder if their is any free software out their. i already have a obd2 cable for a laptop.

I found one a while ago but I don't remember if I saved it or not Matt. I'll see if I can find it.

Do you ever answer your PM's Jesse?

I don't know why anyone would bash it. THere's very little info on b4b stuff.

There is people out their. I have run into them before. Charlie knows. That’s all I am going to say
thank you for support. it really means alot to me.

So it was 45 degrees outside today! And theres no snow yet either and none in the forecast. Looks like Im driving the Cutlass is getting another few weeks of drive time. Im dreaming of a brown christmas!

In other news, it feels like I pick up about 15hp in the cold according to my butt duno.

Ok I am doing some qudrajets mods now. I am going to be putting them up on my site when I am finished. However, I have a few questions. Hope Charlie can help me with these. Some qudrajets came with idle bypass air ports. The passages are already their but the factory never added them in. should I add them in or is it not needed? I read it is mainly for cars with big cams. I was also told drilling small holes in the primaries blades does the same. Second question is where is the idle down channel? i would add pictures so you can tell what i am talking about but i dont think i know how now. :redface: SDC10717.jpgSDC10717.jpgSDC10717.jpgSDC10717.jpgSDC10717.jpg

Attachments

• SDC10718.jpg
    SDC10718.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 76
Unless you're running a really big cam you don't need to drill naything out Matt. The mod is for cams that have a low LSA and very high lift. Since the car doesn't need a .600 or bigger lift or an LSA below 110 degrees you don't need to worry about it.:)

Not sure what you mean by the "idle down channel" though.

Unless you're running a really big cam you don't need to drill naything out Matt. The mod is for cams that have a low LSA and very high lift. Since the car doesn't need a .600 or bigger lift or an LSA below 110 degrees you don't need to worry about it.:)

Not sure what you mean by the "idle down channel" though.

i had an idea it was only for a big cam. just wanted to make sure. i read it in a book and they called it a idel down channel i have no clue what it is either that's why i asked. i was going to enlage the idle tube to .036 and the idel down channel to .046. i was also going to drill the fuel inlet seats to .130. any other mods for the qjet you know? also was going to clean up the casting lines on the secondaries to get more flow.
have you ever heard of adding a notch for the small hole above the secondaries choke plates?

A notch or hole in the secondary plates won't do a whole lot for you Matt. All it'll do is cause an issue with the vacuum signal when the secondaries start to open and cause loss of vacuum signal.

As far as cleaning up the casting some, it will increase flow as well as cut down turbulance inside the venturies. A Q-jet can be made to flow as much as 1100 CFM with the right mods done.:)

A notch or hole in the secondary plates won't do a whole lot for you Matt. All it'll do is cause an issue with the vacuum signal when the secondaries start to open and cause loss of vacuum signal.

As far as cleaning up the casting some, it will increase flow as well as cut down turbulance inside the venturies. A Q-jet can be made to flow as much as 1100 CFM with the right mods done.:)

how do you do that?
the only thing i dont want to do is remove the booster rings.

Well I can't give all my secrets away Matt.;)

The secondaries are where you get the most out of the flow and just cleaning the casting up in the front and rear secondaries will make it easier to increase flow. Don't get rid of the ring because it gives you a low speed signal which helps getting it off idle.:)

Well I can't give all my secrets away Matt.;)

The secondaries are where you get the most out of the flow and just cleaning the casting up in the front and rear secondaries will make it easier to increase flow. Don't get rid of the ring because it gives you a low speed signal which helps getting it off idle.:)

ok. look at the email i just sent you. see if you can understand it. i have no clue.:confused:
i know they removed the booster on one ponatic qjet a while back. didnt work well but that's the only way i see to really improve the CFMs.
if i keep your 1100 cfm trick to myself would you share it with me? :D

Returned the email Matt. As far as the mods to get the higher flow I don't share them for a reason.:) There are very few people that need a carb that'll flow that much so I don't share it. Some "brilliant" SBC guy would try and put it ona 305 and then would claim once again that Q-jets suck and then I'm back to square one selling them.:) Been there before and that's why I don't offer them up very often.

Returned the email Matt. As far as the mods to get the higher flow I don't share them for a reason.:) There are very few people that need a carb that'll flow that much so I don't share it. Some "brilliant" SBC guy would try and put it ona 305 and then would claim once again that Q-jets suck and then I'm back to square one selling them.:) Been there before and that's why I don't offer them up very often.

I get you. Putting over kill on something that wont support that.

idle channel do you know where that is Charlie?
would enlarging the idle tubes to .036 make a difference or is it not worth my time?
sorry for all the questions, but i dont want to do anything i will regret.