You can type here any text you want

Before Black BS'ing thread.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I knock 2 or 3 3/32" holes in my T-stats.... mainly as a fail safe.

It makes the system bleed much faster and easier..... and in the event of a sticking t-stat.. it will buy you some time for a safe shutdown.

A.j.

Nice to see everyone!

A.j.

does it work well?
do you think i should do it to my car or just see how it works out for my buddy?
btw glad to see you back its been a while.

does it work well?
do you think i should do it to my car or just see how it works out for my buddy?
btw glad to see you back its been a while.

I dont see why not... 1 or 2 holes is not going to drasticly change the cooling system.

I can only think of the benifits.... and in my case where im seeing 120* temps... i reccomend it.

A.j.

I plan on getting engine hoist, engine stand, then a buick v6, not sure which, there's an 84 century with the 3.0L 2bbl engine in a local yard, and then theres an 85 Park Avenue with the VIN 3 3.8L engine with distributor....supposedly it has a roller cam and better oil pump drive, the gerotor drive...but does ANYONE here know for sure if the 85 3.8s ever had roller cams? only Wikipedia says that vin 3 had roller lifters in 1985 and 150hp...

for the 3.8 build, i'm grabbing the dualjet manifold with carb from one of the G bodies in the yard; but i could also just leave it EFI...i;'m not sure yet....for the 3.0; if the engine block is good and pistons are good, i'll just do some basic porting and higher CR for the pistons....maybe deck the block...then cam change....and see how much power i can eke from the little 3.0L v6....

I plan on getting engine hoist, engine stand, then a buick v6, not sure which, there's an 84 century with the 3.0L 2bbl engine in a local yard, and then theres an 85 Park Avenue with the VIN 3 3.8L engine with distributor....supposedly it has a roller cam and better oil pump drive, the gerotor drive...but does ANYONE here know for sure if the 85 3.8s ever had roller cams? only Wikipedia says that vin 3 had roller lifters in 1985 and 150hp...

for the 3.8 build, i'm grabbing the dualjet manifold with carb from one of the G bodies in the yard; but i could also just leave it EFI...i;'m not sure yet....for the 3.0; if the engine block is good and pistons are good, i'll just do some basic porting and higher CR for the pistons....maybe deck the block...then cam change....and see how much power i can eke from the little 3.0L v6....

Nice. I know you can buy rollers for a 3.8, but I don`t think any ever came with them. Put a inner cooled efi 3.8 in it with a bump on the hood;) That would be sick:biggrin:

its a FWD 3.8 that im looking at....i know LG3 SFI 3.8s VIN 3 1986+ had roller lifters for these A-bodies and didnt need bump in hoods...it sits that low. wikipedia states that VIN3 for 1985 had roller lifters but VIN B from 1984-1986 had flat tappet cams...hence my confusion. the 1985 3.8 is apparently a distributor FWD motor; its just i was unable to feel around the block for the RL cast into it due to it being parked on top of another car...will check it out soon with camera and take pics of the various 3.8s 3800s and whatever....see if i can find turbo parts or 4.1 engines...most of the cadillacs have the v8s though.

Well, I`m not an expert on the FWD 3.8s, so I`ll let some who does answer that for you:biggrin: but as-far as the 4.1 go`s... look for 80`s RWD Caddys, some of them had 4.1s... some of the early 90s might have ended up with them too idk

65-80 miles, depending on which town, currently in Monmouth (97361) but my apt is in Salem (97301); the junkyards online part search yielded $150 LN3 engines, the predecessors of the Series 1 3800s, they're marked 3800s on the plenum, but they are NOT series 1...the other engines are $350-650, even for the VIn R 2.5s...

hmmm. reason im looking mainly for a FWD block is that its what my car is; a FWD car lol. tho i sure could try to build a carbed 3.8 using a fwd 3.8 block if i can find one thats cheaper than the LN3 entire engine.....

hmmm. reason im looking mainly for a FWD block is that its what my car is; a FWD car lol. tho i sure could try to build a carbed 3.8 using a fwd 3.8 block if i can find one thats cheaper than the LN3 entire engine.....

just saying if you need one.... he got a 78 luv pickup and is going to a BBC (yuck) and dont need the buick.

A.j.

hmmm.....i suppose extra parts never hurt to have......hmmm its a 2bbl engine, correct? if i can find a FWD 3.8 flat tappet block, just the block, and the pistons fit it fine, or a short block, i could transfer the top end stuff to it and then the old RWD block could be sold to whoever is looking for a RWD block here....I'll check back with ya; since i'm doing this as time and budget allow..i only get to have $150 a month to play with after all bills and rent... >.< lol. long term build is definitely whats in for me...at least the car is a reliable daily driver while i wrench together a v6 on the cheap and long path...

hmmm.....i suppose extra parts never hurt to have......hmmm its a 2bbl engine, correct? if i can find a FWD 3.8 flat tappet block, just the block, and the pistons fit it fine, or a short block, i could transfer the top end stuff to it and then the old RWD block could be sold to whoever is looking for a RWD block here....I'll check back with ya; since i'm doing this as time and budget allow..i only get to have $150 a month to play with after all bills and rent... >.< lol. long term build is definitely whats in for me...at least the car is a reliable daily driver while i wrench together a v6 on the cheap and long path...

it might be something better.... it has a 4bbl intake on it... but i cant confirm the orginality of it...

something to keep in mind.

A.j.

Roller lifters didn't come in til about 88-89. If it has a distributor it has the standard oil pump not a gerotor design. It will take the standard design RWD cam and lifters as well.

Roller lifters didn't come in til about 88-89. If it has a distributor it has the standard oil pump not a gerotor design. It will take the standard design RWD cam and lifters as well.

is this a FOR SURE thing? I mean; Turbokinetic has proven that the FWD LG3 SFI v6s, VIN 3 in 1986-1988 GM FWD cars had roller lifters...as evident by the RL and roller lifter dogbones in his 86 and 87 LG3s....all 4 of the ones he owns...seems pretty confident in that....i know theres the MPFI 3.8 vin B that had flat tappets, maybe thats what you're thinking? regardless, this would be interesting to see.....there's mention in my Haynes manual for my car line (A_body) that refers to 1985 ONLY 3.0s with gerotor oil pumps.....also stated some 1985 3.8s, and all 1986+ LG3s with gerotor oil drive; and refers that the older 3.0 and 3.8s had the standard gears like you state...again, this is a really odd statement for Haynes manual to say if the 3.8 with distributors never had gerotors.....(or the 3.0 carbed v6 for that matter.) hmmm if i had more money, i'd just buy all 3 kinds of buick v6s and see what they got :)

If it has a distributor then it has a stock RWD oil pump which means it has the same design cam as the RWD engine. It might have roller lifters but the design is the same as the RWD engine. Check the powersource book as well as V6 Performance by Pat Ghanal (sp) but the info's out there if you are willing to do the search for it.

alrighty; when i get to the junkyard to pick up the radiator for the 83 ciera; i'll go through the yard and see if i can yank the intake manifold off that one 85 Park Avenue v6 and see if its got rollers or not....if not, ok cool. if it has rollers..i;ll take pics of it and show y'all....i know the 84 century has a flat tappet 3.0 for sure...i aint ever seen anything saying the LK9 had 2 diff cam designs...only LK9 versus LN7, carb versus MPFI...

So. lets see..here are the following vehicles with combos that's in the yards last i went..

Pontiac Trans Sport; L27 with 4 speed auto, some have LN3s
3 or 4 Buick Regals, LN3 with 4 speed
Buick Century 3.0 Carb with 3 speed auto
Buick Century 2.2L with 3 speed
Oldsmobile Ciera 2.8L with 4 speed
85 Park Avenue distributor 3.8 with 4 speed auto
cadillac deville with N star and 4 speed
cadillac Seville with 4.9PFI and 4 speed
countless cars with 2.5s and 3 speeds lol (like i need any..lol)
Buick Skylark 3.1/3 speed
Grand Ams and Saturns and Achievas; QUADs, all the Quads in the yard are missing their IDI covers; and sparks.
these are the FWD cars
now for the RWD cars i know of
late 70s Monte Carlo, 3.8L/2bbl/200R
coupla Regals, 3.8s, missing intakes, 200R
S10 Blazers, 2.8L carb, 2.5s, 4.3..

of all these; I'm looking at the Buick v6s ,mostly.... wondering what I could in theory do to the 83 ciera lol. LN3s, LG3, LK9, Lwhatever the 85 vin 3 3.8 is.....L27s, didnt see any L36s though.

Back