Lost oil pressure

if you do pull the pump stop by the pharmacy for some petroleum jelly to pack the gears

Paul brings up a good point. One other thing to consider is that the oil may be contaminated with metal. Take the oil cooler lines off if you haven't already and then the adapter. Put the filter directly on the housing and keep the lines off. If the oil is contaminated it's in the cooler and you don't want to use it again.

yeah forget the cooler if you run one , fill the filter and screw it on should prime right up

Driving and lost oil pressure.

White smoke from breather, oil pressure gauge was in the middle of 0 and 25, oil light came on on the cluster.

I checked turbo line and it is not clogged... working on getting that back on after the rain stops....whats my next stuff to check??

Staranded on I55 north bound.. just south of Springfield, Illinois[/QUO

remove air inlet and check compressor side of turbo--looking for oil and in and out shaft play. You may have a bad turbo seal and burning oil--enough to drop level in pan--check up pipe!!!!--best of luck.--Lee
If you make to tour look op my friend Jason Chaney---first gen Camero---Mississippi plates

If you blew a H/G and got coolant in the oil it should read higher than .....

Oil level was just a tiny bit lower than initial check before i started my trip. It is a greyish color, but consitancy is normal. When i draned the oil.. the plug had metal debris on it (again making me believe its a oil pump gear issue)

Raditor coolant level was perfect... only an inch below cap.

I cant snap pics of oil... as i already drained it.

I saw smoke coming from breather, nothing coming from heads. I just did a head gasket job and there was an obvious difference where the smoke was coming from this time.... just the breather.

Aside from that... im calling it a day. Im going to trailer it up to Chicago and work on it tomorrow in a nice warm, dry garage.

Thanks for everones help and insight. I will open the oil pump tomorrow and keep ya posted. :)

Have you verified oil pressure with a mechanical gauge ??
No.. but with the smoke from the breather... I believe the electrical gauge was working properly.

If there weren't other symptoms... I would agree, probably a gauge issue.

If you blew a head gasket into the valley, you should be able to hear exhaust when you remove the breather ... hopefully not the case but. ..good luck

Bryan

electrical oil pressure gauges are terrible at the low end of the scale.

the oil light coming on is worrisome for sure. did you hear the lifters clatter?

good luck, and post back your findings.

B

When you replaced the head gaskets did you drop the oil pan and clean the oil pickup screen?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

if small bolts on the pickup tube backed out you would suck air and loose pressure , they are supposed to be installed with locktite

Last edited:
Something in the lower end.... its done for. I guess im done for the season.... sigh. Maybe next year i will be able to pull it and rebuild lower end. --- Never Ever ... Eeevvvvveerrr let anyone drive your car... no matter what... thats the lovely lesson I have learned.

So for all those going on the HRPT... if you see this guy (Mr Baker) ... tell him thanks for blowing up my motor.

UGHHH.... He will be on the tour with his GN with newly rebuilt motor... and the new GN he bought for his daughter.... but cant take care of what he broke on mine. Great Guy !

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-04-11-51-40-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-04-11-51-40-1.png
    645.4 KB · Views: 210
. . . . Never Ever ... Eeevvvvveerrr let anyone drive your car... no matter what... thats the lovely lesson I have learned.

So for all those going on the HRPT... if you see this guy (Mr Baker) ... tell him thanks for blowing up my motor.

UGHHH.... He will be on the tour with his GN with newly rebuilt motor... and the new GN he bought for his daughter.... but cant take care of what he broke on mine. Great Guy !
Damn. :mad: :mad:
Detonation?

This is the same reason I never drive someone's car either. Don't want the responsibility of having to FIX it.
Sorry to hear.

--- Never Ever ... Eeevvvvveerrr let anyone drive your car... no matter what... thats the lovely lesson I have learned.

Sorry to hear the bad news :(

I learned this lesson back in the '80's it never pays to let someone else drive your car. And I drove this message into my son's head when he started driving almost 10 years ago now.

GLW the future rebuild.

Something in the lower end.... its done for. I guess im done for the season.... sigh. Maybe next year i will be able to pull it and rebuild lower end. --- Never Ever ... Eeevvvvveerrr let anyone drive your car... no matter what... thats the lovely lesson I have learned.

So, exactly what did he break on your car??

I have a "stock" engine build on the stand and nearly ready to test. Just waiting for the intake to come back from powder coating. It will be test run on a test stand before it is completely "Done". Just throwing that out if you are interested.

Sorry to hear the bad news... let us know what you find out on your motor. To rebuild it with all the good parts adds up quick, as we all know....

Chuck