Quickest & Fastest GN Running a Completely Stock Engine on Alky & Mods?

Old school hook up power sey on #1 plug and have a good mark on zero on your balancer

with car idealing you will see base timing

JD

There no timing connector to unplug or anything like that? What is the base timing on a DIS car anyway?

Is that all there is to tuning theses cars is minimal timing and getting the 02s to read somewhere between 750s to 780s? Is that the limit to the tuning and once I get those numbers that's all it's good for?
See I hear of guys running 10s with a stock unopened engine like yours was that ran in the high 10s but what got the car there? Can't be just getting those numbers spot on can it? Because the car feels really smooth through the gears but not as strong as it would be if I were making good power to run 10s. I need to run my G Tech to see where my MPH is to seemifmits really producing good power or not. I want to be around 123 to 125 mph then I know I'm in the right place for those kinds of ETs. I'm gonna get a EGT sensor to get readings there incase my O2s are off.
The trouble is if I'm not making thoses mph goals yet I'm already tapped out on boost because my adjustable boost controller is maxed out and won't turn anymore to get anymore boost! Any suggestions "Sweet6" ?

Do you have a HD actuator? or standard? HD should go to 30lbs no problem.

Hmmm I don't know, whats the difference in the stock one and HD one in looks? ? It has dual waste gates and knock sensors that much I know.

I looked at the actuator but cant tell if it's stock or a HD one, it's a gold in color.
I made a few passes and recorded a 116.9 MPH at a lazy 12.54 E.T. on my G Tech but i'm not able to hook up and on that pass
it was 710 on the O2 reading, so I bumped the fuel up a couple percent. but still only 25 psi of boost.....
I heard that in warmer weather its tougher to get boost because the air is less dense, that makes sense so in much cooler weather I should be able to get a few more PSI out of it. Im running a GT-61 .... Suggestions?

Just found this, could this be my problem? I have one of these on my car!
Change your boost level with the Turbonetics Variable Boost Control kit. The “VBC” kit can adjust boost pressure on any external wastegate or factory dual port actuator. Adjustable from 0psi to the indicated pressure and up to 25psi.

Ok I figured out the boost issue, apparently I have the HD actuator on the car, I adjusted the Rod Shorter and Wammo it pegged my 30 PSI VDO Boost gauge in a heart beat!
I backed off of it not knowing how much boost was really there so im home again lengthening the Rod by a little to have my 30 PSI, I need another gauge!!!

Usually the STD actuator wont go over 22lbs or so. Or it will flutter too. But it sounds like you found it. I would turn the timing down to 20 degrees and the keep the O2s around 780-800

Usually the STD actuator wont go over 22lbs or so. Or it will flutter too. But it sounds like you found it. I would turn the timing down to 20 degrees and the keep the O2s around 780-800

The O2s at 780 to 800s with Alky and 91 oct?

Also I'm having no know at 23* in 1 and 2 gears and 21 in 3 & 4 gears, I have a art car 9 inch non lock up converter so I just leave it in OD so it shifts all the gears. I tried just leaving it in D but it lost a lot of MPH and ET maybe because the car has 3.70s gears in the rear end compared to the stock 3.42s.

I'm also having to add a lot of fuel in the TT Alky chip, I ran 119.4 last night with no know but the O2s were low so I'm gonna bump up the fuel a bunch to keep from hurting the engine. =)
I'm looking to run the numbers you ran with your stock engine setup before you changed the cam. You ran 10.80s at 125 mph right?
I wanna thank you Sweet6 for your help I really do thank you.

Just so you know O/D is really weak. It may not last long at high boost. Maybe get some taller tires for now. Like 28" tall tires to get the gearing down.

Just so you know O/D is really weak. It may not last long at high boost. Maybe get some taller tires for now. Like 28" tall tires to get the gearing down.

The trans was rebuilt with good parts but I don't know about the OD gear hmmmm, other wise it's way over the cam in 3rd gear and I have 27.5 tires now!

I think there are only 2 or 3 clutches in O/D. I think most rebuilds use 7 clutches in 3rd to give you an idea. At least that was what I think I remembered. lol My trans guy just said O/D is weak.

I think there are only 2 or 3 clutches in O/D. I think most rebuilds use 7 clutches in 3rd to give you an idea. At least that was what I think I remembered. lol My trans guy just said O/D is weak.

Hmmmm then what are my options with 3.70 gears?

I ran 10.87@125 on a stock engine with stock gears on 28X10 slicks in my GN. So the gearing was around 3.2Xish probably.

I would probably change the gears out if it is not too much of a hassle. Cheaper than blowing up your trans or engine. :)

I ran 10.87@125 on a stock engine with stock gears on 28X10 slicks in my GN. So the gearing was around 3.2Xish probably.

I would probably change the gears out if it is not too much of a hassle. Cheaper than blowing up your trans or engine. :)

28X10 I wonder if 28X10 tires would help with 3.70s though? I mean i know it will help but I may not be able to hit 125 MPH with the lower gear and keep the revs down.

Black Air said:
Is that all there is to tuning theses cars is minimal timing and getting the 02s to read somewhere between 750s to 780s? Is that the limit to the tuning and once I get those numbers that's all it's good for?
See I hear of guys running 10s with a stock unopened engine like yours was that ran in the high 10s but what got the car there? Can't be just getting those numbers spot on can it? Because the car feels really smooth through the gears but not as strong as it would be if I were making good power to run 10s. I need to run my G Tech to see where my MPH is to seemifmits really producing good power or not. I want to be around 123 to 125 mph then I know I'm in the right place for those kinds of ETs. I'm gonna get a EGT sensor to get readings there incase my O2s are off.
The trouble is if I'm not making thoses mph goals yet I'm already tapped out on boost because my adjustable boost controller is maxed out and won't turn anymore to get anymore boost! Any suggestions "Sweet6" ?

Trying to run 123-125 on an unopened engine isn't going to be easy. I wouldn't try it with 91 octane either. With 93/alky you can get up around 30psi on a decent tune. Get a wideband and shoot for 10.8:1

Trying to run 123-125 on an unopened engine isn't going to be easy. I wouldn't try it with 91 octane either. With 93/alky you can get up around 30psi on a decent tune. Get a wideband and shoot for 10.8:1

I dont have a wideband, but the O2s read high 6s like 6.99! it needs more fuel for sure.
And Im getting little to no knock running 91 Oct.