Quickest & Fastest GN Running a Completely Stock Engine on Alky & Mods?

Black Air said:
I dont have a wideband, but the O2s read high 6s like 6.99! it needs more fuel for sure.
And Im getting little to no knock running 91 Oct.

Maybe maybe not. I used to run .670-.700 out the back in the 90's before I had a wideband, you don't want any detonation.

Maybe maybe not. I used to run .670-.700 out the back in the 90's before I had a wideband, you don't want any detonation.

At one pont I got 1.5 knock but that was the highest, all others were .5 or 0 knock. How much is a Wide band O2 setup?

I have run low like this on the o2s too. But that is probably on the edge. But if you arent showing knock is the big thing. I ran both of my cars in the 10.80s using the stock 02 and knock sensor. The WB is nice but not a must have.

Sweet6 said:
I have run low like this on the o2s too. But that is probably on the edge. But if you arent showing knock is the big thing. I ran both of my cars in the 10.80s using the stock 02 and knock sensor. The WB is nice but not a must have.

I wasn't going to have any detonation. The lowest octane I ran was 110. The wideband and egt is a must have if you want to have repeatable performance. Narrow band numbers vary so much car to car you need to tune off the same sensor over a long period of time to get used to it.

How many degrees of know is acceptable?

I wasn't going to have any detonation. The lowest octane I ran was 110. The wideband and egt is a must have if you want to have repeatable performance. Narrow band numbers vary so much car to car you need to tune off the same sensor over a long period of time to get used to it.

That is true Once you know your car is the key.

I found the key for me was to keep the o2s under 800 at the start of the run and around 770 780 the rest of the way down the track. I run my wideband around 11.0ish

AGREE 100%

JD

The car is running in the low 120s right now so far so good, but one of my air bags has a leak the right rear so the car just lights up the tires when the boost comes on. I need to get that fixed. Another thing too is someone installed 3.70.1 gears in this thing and leaving it in 3rd winds the engine to far past it's rpm range to make anymore power so I have to leave it in OD which I hear is not a good thing because Im told OD only has 2 or 3 clutches as opposed to around 7 in 3rd gear. I already have 27.5 tall tires. Now what? I think my only option hear is to have taller gears installed. Any suggestions ?

put 3.42's back in and you will be fine and go threw the traps around 5600/5700.

Is this lock up or none lock up convetor???

JD

Stay with the 28in tall for sure!!!

What do you think about this??????

One thing that I've done that's a bit out of the box, is that I run a 3.73 gear out back. Most gurus will say that I'm throwing away lots of performance and gas milage by doing this. On most other cars, I would agree. However, With my 28" tall tire out back, this makes the final gear ratio only about 10% lower than stock. This lower gear also alows me to run a tighter converter (2800 @ 0 boost) and still spool the turbo just fine. I run an older Art Carr 9" non lock up billet converter. I tryed one of his newer converters and wasn't very impressed. If i have to replace it, I'll probably get one of Dusty's. I leave off the trans brake with 4200 rpms @ 15 lbs of boost. slippage is only 5% at the big end. Engine is at 2300 rpms cruising at 70 mph. It gets 21 mpg. After some dyno pulls with Cal Hartline yesterday, we took it out for a cruise. Cal's comment was that "It drove just like a stocker." (other than the 500 HP at the wheels on pump gas and alky).

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

What do you think about this??????

One thing that I've done that's a bit out of the box, is that I run a 3.73 gear out back. Most gurus will say that I'm throwing away lots of performance and gas milage by doing this. On most other cars, I would agree. However, With my 28" tall tire out back, this makes the final gear ratio only about 10% lower than stock. This lower gear also alows me to run a tighter converter (2800 @ 0 boost) and still spool the turbo just fine. I run an older Art Carr 9" non lock up billet converter. I tryed one of his newer converters and wasn't very impressed. If i have to replace it, I'll probably get one of Dusty's. I leave off the trans brake with 4200 rpms @ 15 lbs of boost. slippage is only 5% at the big end. Engine is at 2300 rpms cruising at 70 mph. It gets 21 mpg. After some dyno pulls with Cal Hartline yesterday, we took it out for a cruise. Cal's comment was that "It drove just like a stocker." (other than the 500 HP at the wheels on pump gas and alky).

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard
With a stock cam 3.73s and 28s are not optimal for the track I dont think. Ideally you want a 3.2X gear on a stock cam IMO. When factoring in gear and tire size. My TTA went almost 126MPH on 3.27s and a 255/50/16 MT DR. I think they are barely 26" tall.

With a stock cam 3.73s and 28s are not optimal for the track I dont think. Ideally you want a 3.2X gear on a stock cam IMO. When factoring in gear and tire size. My TTA went almost 126MPH on 3.27s and a 255/50/16 MT DR. I think they are barely 26" tall.

I was playing with some numbers of say 125 MPH with a stock 3.42s and 26' tall tire and the RPMs are about 5500, and with 3.70s and 28 inch tall tires it's about the same just a tad over like 5550 RPMs very close. But the advantage I think is the diamiter and roll out = footprint.

It might be about the same. But then it will also depends on your transmission and coverter slip. The slip on my TTA was 1% when I did the 125+ runs. I had the 5 disc Vigilante locked.

It might be about the same. But then it will also depends on your transmission and coverter slip. The slip on my TTA was 1% when I did the 125+ runs. I had the 5 disc Vigilante locked.

Good point, I have a non lock up art Carr 9 inch but not sure on the stall speed as I bought it like this but the papers it came with said the tranny was gone through and shifts hard which it does but never said the stall speed.