You can type here any text you want

Time to go stage II with A/C!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
90% of the distributor guys use the factory crank trigger, there is nothing wrong with using it. It sounds like either the interuptor ring has moved, your keyway is off, or your Safeguard unit is messing things up. I would remove the reluctor (simple way is to just put long bolts in the pulley holes and tighten them down equally), and buy a new billet ring and pres it on at 50 degrees for a better (my opinion) ignition strategy.

The holley hall effect sensor is cheaper than the reluctor wheel so I am going that route, but thanks for the clarification. BHJ should give me one free for the headache they have put me through.

I'm not familiar with the Holley setup. Does it just bolt on or do you have to modify all your pulley spacing like the MSD setup? How did you determine it was BHJ's fault? I would think you were partially to blame for never checking your timing. Have you verified that TDC is correct on the balancer?

Yes the tdc reference point is correct, I checked it when I degreed the cam in. Its BHJ's fault since they installed the interrupter ring in the wrong spot. I have had a custom crank trigger made and it just takes the MSD sensor, I'll just swap it out for the holley sensor. My crank tigger wheel bolts over top of the lower pulley neck, No extra spacing needed.

Upon further inspection, The BHJ looks about 5 degrees off compared to the stock balancer. I ordered digital advance timing light, and will disconnect the JS box, and re-test, once the timing light comes in and the weather calms down a bit.

FYI. The MSD can throw off a dial back timing light. Set it to zero and use it like an old fashion timing light.

Upon further inspection, The BHJ looks about 5 degrees off compared to the stock balancer. I ordered digital advance timing light, and will disconnect the JS box, and re-test, once the timing light comes in and the weather calms down a bit.
Thats common you adjust that in the XFI with crank reference angle.

Thats common you adjust that in the XFI with crank reference angle.
He's having a problem with the reference angle. He can only add up to 60 something degrees and it all retards the timing further than what he has. He started out with 10 added to the reference which gave him 25 degrees retarded. He can back off the reference to 0 which puts him at 15 degrees still retarded. He can't add in negative numbers to get the more advance that he needs. I told Norbs to simply add what he's lacking into his timing table. That to me would seem to be the easiest and cheapest solution to his timing problem.

Just removed all fancy gizmos' that adjust the timing, put 10 back in the reference angle, used a standard timing light, locked the timing in the XFI to 25 degrees and started it up..........timing shows about 0-2 degrees, so its retarded again, just like before, and its backfiring once in a while, shut it down before the plugs get washed out again.

Just a word of note my EST, and BYPASS wires are disconnected and heat shrinked , maybe this is my problem? I am not sure what the caspers adapter does with these wires. Or could this all be caused by the inductive delay being off as CAL was mentioning?

Just for kicks target 50* at idle and see if it runs better
I could try that next, but I want to know the reason behind this, no one else has an issue.........

For heaven's sake, Norbs! Lock the timing at 50 and let us know how it runs!
Better yet, set the reference to 0 and lock the timing at 40.

For heaven's sake, Norbs! Lock the timing at 50 and let us know how it runs!
Better yet, set the reference to 0 and lock the timing at 40.

I set it to 50 and it started to misfire right away, i did manage to get to see the timing mark at 25 but it was erratic all over , and i reved it up and it went back to 0 degrees with the xfi locked down to 50 which should not happen, but by this time I think the plugs are fouled again and it ran terrible, its just a mess, and I'm done for the night.

Havent read the whole thread just bits and pieces along the way. One thing I would check is the +- leads to any and all magnetic pickups in this system. If a MSD type mag pickup is wired with the wiring reveresed it will retard the timing!!
Last post you moved the timing to 40 Degrees??? If this has a distributor , did you re-check the phasing of the rotor to the poles of the cap?? Sorry toooooo many beers if Im totally out of line here!!! OUTTA here!!! Mike

Or could this all be caused by the inductive delay being off as CAL was mentioning?

No. The inductive delay will only move the timing a couple degrees.

I have been stuck on an engine dyno the last ten days so may have missed this, but have you unhooked your Safeguard or just the EST stuff? Does your ignition box have any timing retards in it? Have you tried another one? Have you tried a stock CCCI box?

The JS box is bypassed, its a standard MSD7AL box no retards are hooked up, EST and BYpass lines are not connected just heat shrinked off. I cut the coil pack connectors off unfortunately. I'm putting on my crank trigger today with a MSD IPU, running shielded wires back to the the XFI and if it does not work then..........I really don;t know the next step.

Back