Well we are finally started.....Phoenix Project aka...

Congrats Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking very good my friend! Those rear mounts really dont look to bad on the frame? I didnt really see any rust damage or am I not looking hard enough? Glad to see things are coming along well. Cant wait to see her all complete! I hope your garage will fit all those toys!

A few more pics for laughs

You're right Jeremy - those mounts don't look too bad. The ones closest to the wheel wells were the worst. You can see the one is larger and the frame is very thin that surrounds it. The pair just behind the front wheels are the worst. Maybe Dan will weld in washers but the other possibility is a clean 82 Sport Coupe frame with fuel/brake lines in the barn. That's decision no. 1 .... I guess. We also need a transmission crossmember - gotta checkon that.
  • Pic #1 is the first attempt to get the body up high enough to roll the frame out - it started to slide - went back to the drawing board.
  • Pic #2 shows an 87 GN frame powered by Crafstman & an 18 HP Kohler engine and hydrostatic transimssion - very slow - better go with the V6. ;) Once the frame was up and brake lines, power steering and hanging rusty floor sheetmetal out of the way we had to let the air out of the tires - talk about square wheels - even then the spare tire well grazed the rear pass side perch. The tractor spun the wheels in the gravel so we switched drivers. With my big butt in the seat and a higher gear, the frame finally came free.
  • Pic #3 The exhaust dragging didn't help - Jeez ... don't how I missed that? That cat slept thru everything except the air chisel - lol.
  • Pic#4 We kept the body from sliding around on the square iron stock with a couple sections of rubber webbing and some shop rags.
Everything was done with the aid of an engine crane and two lengths of chain. Next will be frame clean up, brake and fuel lines. Whats good out of the pieces we have and what needs to be replaced. Where to buy replacements too?

Well anyway its good to be making progress. It was a good day today - it really makes me smile.

Gonna spend some $ with Dan and on some parts. Then we'll probably pause for a while 'til I get a little more money then do some more. I need to inventory all my parts for the GN at some point and that will take time and give me a chance to clean out the garage.

As for all the cars - there is only one Regal at home. We are now officially 'car poor' as Nancy says. She's great! "Thanx Nancy" ....if you read this.:smile:

Attachments

• P1010041.JPG
    P1010041.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,000
  • P1010043.JPG
    P1010043.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 998
  • P1010045.JPG
    P1010045.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 995
  • P1010046.JPG
    P1010046.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,007
Looks like a fun project! If you need anything, let me know, I can try to help you find needed parts!

I'm guessing that square pipe doesnt flex like a 4x4 post wood.:)
Are the jack stands sturdy enough with doors, trunk and glass, in your opinion???
Looking good..I know I just acheived my first body off with a donor frame, kinda cool for a first time to pull that off..Looking to do the same with my GN as soon as we get the floors in...
Will be watching this one..

Hope this continues to be fun AND make progress.

Looks like a fun project! If you need anything, let me know, I can try to help you find needed parts!

I may have to lean on you - You forgot more about these cars and places to find parts than I'll ever know or hope to learn (olphart Norski brain problem here).

I'm guessing that square pipe doesnt flex like a 4x4 post wood.:)
Are the jack stands sturdy enough with doors, trunk and glass, in your opinion???
Looking good..I know I just acheived my first body off with a donor frame, kinda cool for a first time to pull that off..Looking to do the same with my GN as soon as we get the floors in...
Will be watching this one..

Hey Chris - The red/gray jack stands are HEAVY duty (not the skinny one you might have seen!) Not sure about the body off with all the extra pieces - I think if you scribe the outlines of hinges that might help on reassembly if using the original panels - don't know for sure. I want to polilsh the reusable glass and windshield was cracked but it may have helped keep tub from sagging - even if its probably not usable anyway. We wanted as much off as we could - in the end that made it possible to manually lift a corner of the tub to adjust the square stock position.

I have some good parts - all 'In color' - thanks Jamey Johnson!

Maybe I should do a RATROD? Rosewood header, black turbo hood with fire damage, white rear deck, metallic green doors with SS garnishes, black rear and chrome front bumper, gray epoxy tub, black frame - nice blue corded Cutlass 60/40 seats, blue 87 T column shifter(w/ ratted T interior), complete GN interior in dubious condition (former home of racoon family) - Whadaya think? LOL - - Now THAT would raise some turbo Buick hackles! - NO doubt. :wink:

Anyway I will try and take as many pics as my dirty gritty camera and bad back will allow. I am told there is no way to grease the moving parts of the camera - WTF?

Bob,

I have a trans crossmember that you can have. I can bring it to the Madison Meet if you'd like or if you need it sooner let me know. I've got other stock stuff that I can part with as well just PM me.

Later,

Rob

Bob,

I have a trans crossmember that you can have. I can bring it to the Madison Meet if you'd like or if you need it sooner let me know. I've got other stock stuff that I can part with as well just PM me.

Later,

Rob

What a good guy!

I want to do this to my 87 street GN. Keep the progress coming, let's me know what I have to look forward to.:tongue: I have a friend with a rotisserie, wonder if I could "borrow" it for about a year.:rolleyes:
John

I will take you up on that Rob - many thanks!

Bob,

Later,

Rob

I may have to make a road trip, as we may be ready for it late next week. The GN frame was missing the crossmember when I found it - nowhere to be found either - the tranny was sitting on the rusted out floor of a Challenger - glad I found tranny but would not have bought the car without it. I will PM. Thanks again.

I want to do this to my 87 street GN. Keep the progress coming, let's me know what I have to look forward to.:tongue: I have a friend with a rotisserie, wonder if I could "borrow" it for about a year.:rolleyes:
John

The rotisserie is a good idea. The body would come off easy enough if your friend needed it. :rolleyes:
We will go without and work around that as Dan has a 57 wagon on his. More GN frame pics in a few weeks. The wheels of progress turn oh so slow.:(

Let me know Bob, I'm around. I've got a few other stock parts you might be interested in as well :)

Some more pics of parts we will save.

Let me know Bob, I'm around. I've got a few other stock parts you might be interested in as well :)

I will do that Rob. Thanks again.

I have some rear end pics to add.
The pics are all from the old GN frame - its not too bad but does need washers welded into four mount locations.
  1. In general we have good some brake and fuel lines - we will take them off clean and shoot some paint on them and the fasteners as needed. So hopefully we have enough lines for one complete car. Once the lines are in place we will weld in about 3 plates per side to strengthen the frame.
  2. The rear suspension is a Hotchkiss non-adjustable. I have no idea what vintage but the GN has not been on the road since 1998. The control arms up and down are rust free as are front and back springs. These must have been replaced back then. Bushing all look good without cracking and seem to be only dirty.
  3. The front end needs a sway bar appropriate to the back end. Not sure what - 36mm firechicken maybe? The bushings look OK but I am leaning toward replacement rubbers. Some of the links & ball joints look newer also so we may replace as needed and stay pretty stock - just refreshed?
  4. I'm not sure at this point if ride height changes are in order. I don't know how to tell if the current springs differ from original and how. Got to figure that out.
  5. Last thought here is maybe fabricating a bar connecting the rear frame horns - I'll search for that thread on cutting the yokes and welding the bar up with square stock - that seemed like a good idea to firm things up. Opinions?

Attachments

• HotchkissRR.JPG
    HotchkissRR.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 900
  • HotchkissRR1.JPG
    HotchkissRR1.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 889
  • HotchkissUPPERs.JPG
    HotchkissUPPERs.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 878
  • HotchkissLR1-2.JPG
    HotchkissLR1-2.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 899
Here are two front end pics

The front parts look OK - not rusty. I guess we will clean and spruce'em up or replace as needed.

That's it for now - I need to decide on some parts - the budget is lean 'tho.
deal.gif
I'm not! :redface: - LOL

Attachments

• FRONT_LFspring.JPG
    FRONT_LFspring.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 878
  • FrontFRAME.JPG
    FrontFRAME.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 881
A little update - opinions welcome.

The frame went to the blaster this last week. It's in for paint and to grind off some factory slag.

When the paint is done the Hotchkis suspension stuff goes back on. It was practically new but the body came without the sway bars. Previous owner probably took the stuff he could sell easily.:frown:

This kit was on the the old GN:

Hotchkis Sport Suspension - 1978-1988 GM A/G Body Rear Suspension Pckg. :: Rear Suspension :: Trailing Arm Package

and we think these springs:

Hotchkis Sport Suspension - 78-88 GM G-Body Sport Coil Springs Set (4) :: Front Suspension :: Coil Spring Sets

:( I just need to find the ca$h for this rear sway bar as it's the one that works with the above parts:

Hotchkis Sport Suspension - 78-88 GM G-Body Extreme Sport Rear Sway Bar :: Sway Bars :: Rear Sway Bar

78-88_gm_g-body_extreme_sport_rear_sway_barproducts455image_2.jpg

I found a 36 mm Camarobird front bar locally. I think that will work with this Hotchkis stuff. I need to pick up some parts and haven't decided what or where to buy but pretty much want to use decent OEM replacements. This is my list.

10 Bolt posi
  • rear cover gasket.
  • pinion seal
  • 2 axel seals
Brakes
  • 2 rear wheel cylinders
  • rear brake hose to frame
  • rear e' brake cables {set}
  • 2 front brake hoses
  • front brake calipers loaded {with pads}
  • front rotors
Sway bar
  • Front – 36mm - got one
  • Rear - Hotchkis
I would appreciate any opinions/preferences on which parts you would buy or where? Many parts are pretty common parts house stuff I know- but anyway I'm looking for the best use of my limited $ on good quality parts at this point.
Thanks,
Bob

The frame went to the blaster this last week. It's in for paint and to grind off some factory slag.

When the paint is done the Hotchkis suspension stuff goes back on. It was practically new but the body came without the sway bars. Previous owner probably took the stuff he could sell easily.:frown:

This kit was on the the old GN:

Hotchkis Sport Suspension - 1978-1988 GM A/G Body Rear Suspension Pckg. :: Rear Suspension :: Trailing Arm Package

and we think these springs:

Hotchkis Sport Suspension - 78-88 GM G-Body Sport Coil Springs Set (4) :: Front Suspension :: Coil Spring Sets

10 Bolt posi
  • rear cover gasket.
  • pinion seal
  • 2 axel seals
Brakes
  • 2 rear wheel cylinders
  • rear brake hose to frame
  • rear e' brake cables {set}
  • 2 front brake hoses
  • front brake calipers loaded {with pads}
  • front rotors
Sway bar
  • Front – 36mm - got one
  • Rear - Hotchkis
I would appreciate any opinions/preferences on which parts you would buy or where?
Thanks,
Bob

Well the wheels of progress turn - but sometimes not visibly. Anyway - the frame was bead blasted & is primed but currently covered and pushed aside. I got some parts - Felpro cover gasket and NAPA seals.

I am leaning toward SSBC aluminum Front BRake calipers (reasonable - about $400 & modest upgrade) and EBC slotted rotors (good price - < $140/pr.)- all stock replacement stuff to accomodate any OEM wheel. I think I will get OEM rear wheel cylinders (read too much about S10 locking up I guess)

Here are a couple pics of the dirty dusty but rust free Hotchkis stuff (came on the GN and going back on) and the rear/POSI and front control arms back from the blaster and READY for primer.

That's it for now - I'm busy de-rusting (Evapo-rust is good stuff)/cleaning/priming/painting brake/fuel lines bolts clilps nuts etc. :( I always got something on in the background - but NO Sh!thead angry mouthpiece stuffed shirt political rants allowed. Just music, beer, funnies and occasional visitors - WHAT? I know, been drinking alone for years - just need a guest now and then to keep up appearances. LOL :rolleyes:

Oh note: I found reasonable rattle cans Martin Seynour self-etching primer @ NAPA.

Cya @ the turnaround.
Bob

Attachments

• HotchkisSTUFF.JPG
    HotchkisSTUFF.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 941
  • REARendPOSI.JPG
    REARendPOSI.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 934
  • StockFRONTarms.JPG
    StockFRONTarms.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 931
Bob, if I lived closer, I'd be over there to visit probably more than you'd wish! Good job and congrats on the forward progress! Gotta love projects that you enjoy! Beer and car parts! Life is good!

You're welcome here!

Bob, if I lived closer, I'd be over there to visit probably more than you'd wish! Good job and congrats on the forward progress! Gotta love projects that you enjoy! Beer and car parts! Life is good!

Whadayathink Jeremy?
Can't forget women in there - They mighta been the reason I turned into a chocolate mess a couple times along the way...
drinking.gif

Maybe you guys should come up for a day or two - just to get away. There might be some nice days left unless we damn used 'em up already - GEEZzz the weather has been unf..knbeeleevabull. Jenny is off to Aberdeen so the house is MT agin... That's good and bad - oh well getting old :mad: I guess.

Gotta ? on my 36mm Firechicken swaybar... Can I use the stock bracket/hardware from the old 'T' with the Raybestos bushing part #5501151 ( cRockauto description - {Professional Grade; Sway Bar Repair Kit} Front Suspension; To Frame; 36mm Sway Bar Diameter; Knob On Bottom)???? I have what I was told is the Fbody brackets and links but they don't look right.

Gotta go - Out for fish I guess. Woman in the house. Check back later.
Bob