200R4 VS TH400 Which one

200R4 OR TH400

• TH400

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • 200R4

Votes: 37 55.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have had a few different 10 second TB's and most of had 200's but my latest has a 400. I have had pretty good luck with the 200's I have had but I changed over to a 400 bascially for dependability. It takes a good amount of aftermarket internals and an experienced builder to have a 200 that will live long and do well in a 10.50 or faster car but with a 400 it doesn't take alot to live at that level and almost every town has a builder that can build a good 400. I am thinking I am going to try the Jake's transbrake valvebody in my 400 next year that retains a forward shift pattern and full automatic operation. I also have a Gearvendor for the 400 so that I will have OD.

Reading all this honest information will help a lot of people on the fence about which direction to go. This should be a Sticky!

The cost to benefit drops out for most running a 200-4r faster than low 10's. It can be done but its a waste of $ for most. However a 200-4r can easily be built to handle 10 sec power. Other things come into effect as far as e.t. is concerned when choosing the trans. For a high cylinder pressure application that is being run on a drag strip the ratios in the 400 are better. Of course you could spend several hundred and switch the ratios in your 200-4r but you have to weigh the cost to benefit to determine if its worth it for you on an individual basis. For most its not. The OP doesnt need to run a 200-4r since he is not driving the car much and the 400 will provide a better savings to allow the $ to be spent for further reliability or other performance gains. The 350 would be no problem in 90% of the applications where guys are running 400's. Its up to the owner and without experiencing it for themselves hard to suggest what is better.

How about the 4l80e? Strength of the 400 with an OD...

95% of Buick owners will never make enough power to break a properly built 200...

I just for the life of me don't see the need of hacking up a car, and putting in a 3sp...

A lot of people don't even know how to properly adj the kick down cable, which results in a bunch of failures IMO. That plus using junk converters... Not to mention the endless amount of guys that can "build" a 200:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. There are alot of people out there that really shouldn't be building transmissions. I run a 200 in my car. I purchased it in 2005 when the car ran 10.50's. I race every weekend when weather permits. The trans made it three years until I broke the ring & pinion, the shock from that damaged the sprag in the trans causing it to finally fail. At that point I was running 10.1x's. I had the hard parts replaced & the unit freshened up & it's on it's 3rd year now. The end of this year I made about 35 mid-low 9 second passes (9.30's-9.50's) and last year It went 9.70-9.90 every weekend. It's all about getting someone that knows how to properly build a 200. My tranny came from Brian Hofer.

I will second this. The 2004R can and will live reliably in the 10s and on into the 9's when PROPERLY built. John's car is a great example. My street car runs LOW 10s to HIGH 9s with a 2004R in a full weight car. Brian H. built mine as well but their are plenty of other good builders out there. I wouldn't let any local shop build one regardless of their reputation because it takes someone who knows a 200 to make them work - the same tricks that work with other trannys don't necessarily apply. If you are looking to run bottom 9s and faster and you're not planning on much street action then the 400 becomes a more feasible choice from a cost and strength standpoint. For a car that sees primarily street action I wouldn't give up the ratios or the OD the 200 offers.

I've made the decision to go to a TH400 next spring. I've already started to gather some of the "small stuff" (H&R transmission mount and a B&M 3 speed reverse pattern shifter gate plate) that's going to be needed to do a clean conversion. I want everything to work properly (like the back up lights and neutral switch also). The only thing left to do will be to determine the how much will the driveshaft need to be shortened and to get a TH400 transmission slip yoke.
I just hope I won't regret switching, but everyone I spoke with reassured me saying that I'll love it...:redface: Hope they're right!:)

Claude.

I agree with this. We have 2 transmission shops here other than the typical Aamco and one shop, I have had to build all his 2004Rs for him. The other is a professional builder but does not like the 200 and sends them all to me. They have each ridden in my car and cannot believe how it shifts and how long it lasts. Going on 3 years on this build and only had to build it when the lockup solenoid failed from the original builder and that build lasted almost 7 years on mid 11 second passes.

I will second this. The 2004R can and will live reliably in the 10s and on into the 9's when PROPERLY built. John's car is a great example. My street car runs LOW 10s to HIGH 9s with a 2004R in a full weight car. Brian H. built mine as well but their are plenty of other good builders out there. I wouldn't let any local shop build one regardless of their reputation because it takes someone who knows a 200 to make them work - the same tricks that work with other trannys don't necessarily apply. If you are looking to run bottom 9s and faster and you're not planning on much street action then the 400 becomes a more feasible choice from a cost and strength standpoint. For a car that sees primarily street action I wouldn't give up the ratios or the OD the 200 offers.

I hope my Rossler built 200r4 will last in my car. It has all of his billet stuff in it. Supposedly it is the toughest 200r4 he can build. It has lasted so far with minimal street miles and dyno pulls of 900rwhp.

I hope so too! I didn't realize rossler built 200's.

According to him he has built quite a few of them. He makes his own, propriatery billet pieces for them. Claims he has them in several twin-turbo Vipers making over 1k hp. Apparently, they fit in the trans tunnel of a Viper with no modifications to the tunnel at all, therefore they are a favorite of Viper guys who want to go fast with an automatic.

This is what tortures my trans:)

Attachments

• IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 645
I decided to get started on my 200R-4 build after a lot of thought on which to run. I was torn between the T-350 and 200. However, I knew I would be using both.

I'm going to run the 200 for the street and highway for most of the year. ( Jan through August. ) I am using all Alto clutches and Kolene steels. Sonax super servo, direct apply ring and hardened sun shell.

Come September I like to race until december. I will than swap the 200 for my built T-350 with brake 36 ele sprag and RPMV.

The swap should be pretty easy. The driveshaft is the same length and I have a different X-member for each trans. I have a 1/4 stick for foward patterna and 1 for reverse pattern.

My 200-R4 will probably be fine for the track with my mid to high 10's goal but I really just feel like the 200R4 doesn't have a place on the track like a T-350 or 400 with a brake. Plus I can rebuild the T-350 myself in my own garage on my own time with my back up 200-r4 back in the car.

Just my thoughts on the topic

You already answered your own question:

No real hwy driving but maybe once in a great while

To install a TH400 you don't need to hack up your car - in fact, there is nothing you need to hack. If you are scared about losing the originality of then car put the stock trans in the corner of your garage and sit on it until you've had enough fun beating the crap out of the TH400.

With my old combo going WOT @ 70 MPH was wicked - the little TA-49 was always spooled up when your turning 2500 RPMs or more.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

I've seen more broken 400's over the years than 200-4R's. But the 700's take the prize for most failures I have seen.

And the fact that any monkey in Hooterville USA can build a 400 is not a selling feature for me. If that was an enticement, I'd be running a carbed small block Chevy like every other knuckledragger.

I wonder how many 400s are being raced in comparison to 2004Rs. If it's 50 to one or higher, maybe that would be why a lot more 400s are coming through shops. There's just a lot more 400s out there being raced hard at hp levels that range a lot higher than what you'd see a 2004R handling.

im about to purchase 84 national but title says regal limited but car seems to be authenic what do u think