You can type here any text you want

Before Black BS'ing thread.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
the biggest problem of all is the fact that after you spend all of that decent cash for extrude honing, its still a stock carb turbo intake. which still flows poop.

A.j.

the biggest problem of all is the fact that after you spend all of that decent cash for extrude honing, its still a stock carb turbo intake. which still flows poop.
i dont think I'm going to do this anytime soon, i dont have $9000 for a machine. would porting the intake make a big difference? how would you get way back in the intake to port it?

i dont think I'm going to do this anytime soon, i dont have $9000 for a machine. would porting the intake make a big difference? how would you get way back in the intake to port it?

I havent got much advise on this to offer.

the stock intake was one of the first things I ditched. I tired the 86/87 lower before I moved to the edelbrock, which now has me on the weiand.

other than the lack of hood room, the 86/87 lower is a killer piece. giving the charge a chance to expand after coming out of the turbo helps to reduce some of the heat, while providing a large "volume" of air vs. high pressure. It is laggy with a stock turbine, but fairly quick with a later turbine and a hot tune.

If you want to make anykind of real power... the intake has to go.

A.j.

I havent got much advise on this to offer.

the stock intake was one of the first things I ditched. I tired the 86/87 lower before I moved to the edelbrock, which now has me on the weiand.

other than the lack of hood room, the 86/87 lower is a killer piece. giving the charge a chance to expand after coming out of the turbo helps to reduce some of the heat, while providing a large "volume" of air vs. high pressure. It is laggy with a stock turbine, but fairly quick with a later turbine and a hot tune.

If you want to make anykind of real power... the intake has to go.

A.j.
so your not running the stock intake? what exactly do you have ? are you running the setup like warwagon?:confused: i dont know how you would run the drawthru setup on a edelbrock intake. :confused: Is there a adaptor to make it work or what? I'm really confused right now.

so your not running the stock intake? what exactly do you have ? are you running the setup like warwagon?:confused: i dont know how you would run the drawthru setup on a edelbrock intake. :confused: Is there a adaptor to make it work or what? I'm really confused right now.

I have an adapter system to run the draw thru ontop of an aftermarket manifold.

I really need to get a camera.

Just a plate that adapts the 3 bolt foot of the turbo to the 4bbl pad.

A.j.

oh come on.... out with it...

A.j.

Haha naw it was nothing major...I was wondering what's the difference between a cat for a 86-87 compaired to a 81-85...I am wondering tho now that I think about it if we the used heads from a 86-87 could we still use our intakes and also use headers for a 86? Seeing as how they have the aftermarket support for headers in spades.

I have an adapter system to run the draw thru ontop of an aftermarket manifold.

I really need to get a camera.

Just a plate that adapts the 3 bolt foot of the turbo to the 4bbl pad.

A.j.
i understand now. yea you do need a camera. it would help us all out if we could see that. i dont see it working on my car because i dont have enough hood clearence. the only way it could work for me is to mold in a scoop.

Haha naw it was nothing major...I was wondering what's the difference between a cat for a 86-87 compaired to a 81-85...I am wondering tho now that I think about it if we the used heads from a 86-87 could we still use our intakes and also use headers for a 86? Seeing as how they have the aftermarket support for headers in spades.

no thats a great question!

yes indeed we can use the heads from a later car! I use 87 8445s myself. there not much of a serious upgrade, but in my humble opinion, theres a slight bit more meat in the deck surface.

The later headers can be used if your willing to do the fabrication. change in belt drives, bracket location, etc etc. I run a set of stock 86/87 headers, and there plenty at my weight.

A.j.

So I was kinda thinking how easy it would be to just get a weiand intake and get an adapter and stick a turbo on it. Turns out AJ has already done it! Only negative is that youd need a 6 inch cowl. Is a weiand intake any taller than a lower 86/87 intake? Any problems with fuel condensation more than the stock setup?

no thats a great question!

yes indeed we can use the heads from a later car! I use 87 8445s myself. there not much of a serious upgrade, but in my humble opinion, theres a slight bit more meat in the deck surface.

The later headers can be used if your willing to do the fabrication. change in belt drives, bracket location, etc etc. I run a set of stock 86/87 headers, and there plenty at my weight.

A.j.
That might be the move to do seeing as how the 84 and 85's they say crack if used daily!:eek:

That might be the move to do seeing as how the 84 and 85's they say crack if used daily!:eek:

All of the factory headers crack, period. Most of the the aftermarket ones crack after a while also. It has to do with the matereal and the temp they develop.

As far as the intake, it can be modified and I'll be showing how to later. I've discused this with Aj and I think he agrees with me on how to do it. I've got to cut it apart to make it work though.:(:biggrin: It needs an area to use like the plenum area in the IC cars.

Sorry about being absent guys. I had a kidney stone that decided to put me down last night. Hurt like a mofo but I think it's passed now thank God.:smile:

So I was kinda thinking how easy it would be to just get a weiand intake and get an adapter and stick a turbo on it. Turns out AJ has already done it! Only negative is that youd need a 6 inch cowl. Is a weiand intake any taller than a lower 86/87 intake? Any problems with fuel condensation more than the stock setup?

well the hood height, is acceptable - for me atleast, im a hybrid so Im not to sure in regal form.
as for height comparison, the weiand is actually lower than the 86/87... but the flow is very comparable. I reckon the 86/87 manifold is a GM copy of the weiand unit.

As for fuel puddling, it all of about eliminated it. without the charge having to make so many turns it, the loss to air shear is very very low. but puddling channels and directors help alot on cold days.

the biggest problem is the angle at which the turbo mounts. it was originally at an incline, while most carb manifolds are set up to level off the carb. I had to machine the carb base parallel to the deck, to correct the incline of the plenum. Second is fabricating all of the brackets needed to re support the plenum and turbine properly, cause if you dont, I guarntee a broken compressor housing foot, plenum or up pipe!

:biggrin:A.j.

Sorry about being absent guys. I had a kidney stone that decided to put me down last night. Hurt like a mofo but I think it's passed now thank God.

As far as the intake, it can be modified and I'll be showing how to later. I've discused this with Aj and I think he agrees with me on how to do it. I've got to cut it apart to make it work though. It needs an area to use like the plenum area in the IC cars.
sounds like someone has a great idea here. i cant wait to see.

I don't like the carb turbo intake manifold at all. It's got too many up and down bends before reaching the straight portion of the head port. I like the Weiand just like the stock LC2 intake, the path is forever down hill. Really there is only one angle the air moves in the Weiand intake. Air enters through the carb pad and makes one 45 degree turn on each side to the runners and that is it, after that that air is already in the head port.

I don't like the carb turbo intake manifold at all. It's got too many up and down bends before reaching the straight portion of the head port. I like the Weiand just like the stock LC2 intake, the path is forever down hill. Really there is only one angle the air moves in the Weiand intake. Air enters through the carb pad and makes one 45 degree turn on each side to the runners and that is it, after that that air is already in the head port.

Not going to argue with you at all on this Adam. But what I'm going to be doing to the intake will open it up enough so it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

how ya feeling today charlie? did ya piss a wrecking ball yesterday?

ya drink alot of soda dont ya charlie?

A.j.

Back