You can type here any text you want

Help! Unable to get the Caspers Volt booster working on my set-up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jmendlik

1. Fresh rebuilt AC Delco Alternator-13.3-13.8 Volts output at idle-verified by Powerlogger and Scanmaster and by rebuilder on test machine...new regulator was installed for rebuild.​
2. Brand new Casper Volt booster-verified working by John @ Caspers on his test fixture.

3. Properly functioning TPS-no flat spots .42 idle 4.7 WOT on Scanmaster & Powerlogger

Made a log with PL at 16 lbs boost with 4.5V WOT TPS and volts stay at 13.8V per Powerlogger log info and scanmaster as well.

things I have tried:

1. Replace TPS-no change

2. Car idling with Powerlogger hooked up monitorong Volts I went and manually pushed the TPS lever
down to get it to go past 70% TPS voltage,which should cause the Volt booster to send another 2.2V or so to the alternator and show up on the PL and scanmaster--did this and nothing. (John Spins as my wqitness as he did the test with me).

3, Tried another volt booster brand new out of the package at Caspers office-same thing-not working

3. Lights on WOT pull do not get brighter

I'm stumped--any ideas out there??

Different brands of regulators,may not be equal.
Sounds like the new electronic voltage regulator circuitry is too sophisticated to be fooled by the volt booster.

ITS FIXED!!!

--I bought a new AC Delco 120 Amp Alternator from Glenn at NOS4GN (Highway Stars in Gurnee, IL) and its working as it should..15.8V at WOT ...​
Now I need to see if I can get my $$ back from the place that rebuilt my original alternator--they must have something limiting thier regulators as the memeber (Turbotre) mentioned...Thanks for your inputs!!​

Good luck with the volt booster, at the track several yrs ago, buddy's car was running a little off, took the volt booster off and it went faster, just saying.

Chuck

I understand--I will try it with my new E85 & Racetronix Double Pumper set up and see if there are any issues...It was more of a "why was it not working" than anything--I just had to get it fixed and working properly....Now-- is it needed on my set-up?? dont know yet...will update post shortly with results.

Good luck with the volt booster, at the track several yrs ago, buddy's car was running a little off, took the volt booster off and it went faster, just saying.

Chuck

Chuck,
Did you guys determine why this happened besides "increased voltage"?

Chuck,
Did you guys determine why this happened besides "increased voltage"?

No, but it was a racer outside the club that was looking things over with us and suggested he unhook it and take a run. The car went faster, I think it was breaking up on the top end of the track, it's been a few yrs ago now. I can't think of anyone in MAGNA that runs them after that day....

Chuck

.. at the track several yrs ago, buddy's car was running a little off, took the volt booster off and it went faster, just saying.......Chuck

I seriously doubt that removing the volt booster was why his car went faster? :confused:

First, it is contrary to common sense and the laws of physics. If he had less voltage at the fuel pump, the fuel output would be less.

Unless he was running really rich because of a bad tune or other issue, it could have leaned out and picked up some MPH?

Did you actually see his time slips that would show his MPH gain from prior runs with other factors being equal and consistent?

According to another internet myth, I have witnessed guys running quicker, not faster, with their exhaust dump closed, but they were not consistent with their driving results.

Personally with the many volt boosters we have used, both Red's and Casper's, never has a car slowed down, or seen an issue related to them. :)

The extra hp consumed by the added voltage output could be calculated. I'll bet it's less than 1hp.

Mine never missed a beat. I agree with Nick that the car was pry running rich.

I seriously doubt that removing the volt booster was why his car went faster? :confused:

First, it is contrary to common sense and the laws of physics. If he had less voltage at the fuel pump, the fuel output would be less.

Unless he was running really rich because of a bad tune or other issue, it could have leaned out and picked up some MPH?

Did you actually see his time slips that would show his MPH gain from prior runs with other factors being equal and consistent?

According to another internet myth, I have witnessed guys running quicker, not faster, with their exhaust dump closed, but they were not consistent with their driving results.

Personally with the many volt boosters we have used, both Red's and Casper's, never has a car slowed down, or seen an issue related to them. :)

I know what happened, I was there, but I don't remember who's car it was. This was before the powerlogger days, maybe it was running to rich? Or maybe his electrical system had a problem, I don't know. When the volt booster dies, what does this do to the system? I was just a observer, that's all.

Chuck

About the only way a removed volt booster would increase the car's performance is if the booster was not working properly. The field of the alternator needs a small current, which passes thru the volt booster from the VOLTS lamp wiring. If that were interrupted, the alternator would certainly not charge the battery, resulting in decreased system voltage because the engine is running on the battery only.

Under this condition, removing the volt booster would restore the factory charging circuit - then the engine would run much better.

Be careful when offering any statement "buddy's car was running a little off, took the volt booster off and it went faster" without knowing the facts. There are very impressionable people on this forum, many who are 3rd. and 4th. generation owners - probably weren't even born when the car was built - and will take a statement like that and run with it. I see way too many facts get clouded here by incorrect information. Before you know it, we're back to the "factory twin-turbo GNX that my friend's uncle owns".

Aside from a few skeptics, the volt boosters pretty much have earned their merits with car owners.

John will you be at the shop today? I will be in the neighborhood and wanted to stop by for some goodies.

hey steve-

if your near palatine stop by if you have your car....im very close to John place...JM
callme

hey steve-

if your near palatine stop by if you have your car....im very close to John place...JM
callme
I might be able to. I'm gonna be near Barrington, pulling a motor out of an 86 that needs some help.

John would love this 86, it's gonna need a lot of Caspers stuff. Fortunately it's just down the road off Rt 22.

Actually, I'm at the shop all day today...rewiring the building, adding outlets, all sorts of stuff. Stop by if you're close.

Before you know it, we're back to the "factory twin-turbo GNX that my friend's uncle owns".

Aside from a few skeptics, the volt boosters pretty much have earned their merits with car owners.

the FBI V8 twin turbo was faster...just as rare though. ;)

Bryan

Digging this old thread back up.

I’m having the exact same issue. brand new caspers volt booster and good working alternator. Is there any alternator I could pick up at a parts store that would work?

Back