Stock ECM or Fast XFI???

Yeah, I was suprised to see Ronnie go over and ask you for help after all crap talking he does. He admitted defeat and you were nice enough to help him. He said you were really nice about it too! He came back and showed us that you had hooked all the wires up to the relay, told him how to hook it up and didn't even charge him until we were sure that it worked. That cheap little relay saved my brother from a $$$$ motor rebuild. :cool:

Don't know if you've seen, but Ronnie has signed up under an appropriate name on this board. He's starting stuff in the TSM section. :biggrin:

What was amusing about it? If you don't want to discuss it here I'll PM you my cell phone and we can have a conversation about it. I value everyone's opinion here and would like to hear yours.

Jim

"I've had a lot of problems with the car over the past few years that have nothing to do with my ability or inability to tune it. It's a 10-second car with a 14-second transmission, that's all. I put my faith and $$ in the wrong trans guy, plain and simple. Ultimately he destroyed my engine, too.

I just got tired of turning on the parking lights, flicking the A/C on and off, watching the grid on the DirectScan and looking at the little cheat sheet I printed up and put in my console to figure out what I had my chip set at. Then you unhook the battery and it forgets it all. Maybe chips have come a long way in the past few years, but that's been my experience."

I saw what you had to do through to make changes in that chip and was just found the mental pic funny. Seeing a guy in a GN do all that in the staging lanes at the strip would crack me up. Not making fun of you, just made me laugh. I would like you to keep us updated in your progress though.:cool:

Interesting the different "tacks" that this thread has taken. Lot's of interesting reading and there are valid points on both sides of the arguement.

One point that no one has addressed.

What happens when it comes time to get smogged??? Some states (CA etc.) are very very stringent.

Now, not knowing as much as most about the XFI, can it control EGR, etc. to the point of a "clean burn"??? Enough to get through some of the really tough states.

Interesting the different "tacks" that this thread has taken. Lot's of interesting reading and there are valid points on both sides of the arguement.

What happens when it comes time to get smogged??? Some states (CA etc.) are very very stringent.

Now, not knowing as much as most about the XFI, can it control EGR, etc. to the point of a "clean burn"??? Enough to get through some of the really tough states.

Yes it can but your still not emissions legal in CA. Even though you could easily pass with one. EGR is not a problem for FAST.

The XFI controls and EGR,Has special parameters just for it.ALthough for emissions i found it not needed.
When my car ran 9.20s it went thru CT emissions(pretty strict)no problem.I setup Rick Jensen(from GM High_Tech mag) a few weeks back and he went right thru NY state emissions no problem either.
I like chips and still use them quite a bit,(all TurboTweak)

With the abilty to adjust the actual A/F ratio the Hurst Olds hybrid i built gets 28-30MPG on the highway and still ran 10.80 at 127.,I probably could have leaned it out further also.

THe XFI also has a built in Boost controller that will run hte stock style solenoid also.

And th abilty to carry 4 different programs internally
IE... Race gas,Pump gas,akly tune,emissions tune,valet tune,etc....

Low to Mid 10's with Alky? (Easy!!)

YOU! like the idea of the Stock ECM and TT chip! (Then do that! Do what you feel the most comfortable with!!!)

SAFE? (SURE! People are doing it ALOT!)

KEY HERE IS: MOSTLY STREET DRIVEN!!! FEW TRIPS TO THE TRACK!!!

I don't feel you need a F.A.S.T system for a MOSTLY STREET DRIVEN CAR!!

Thats my opinion, I'm sure others will say different....

I went 6.76 @ 103.2 in the 1/8th on 93 pumpgas and alky with my street car!! ;)
Scot W.

Hes going to be running a TA alum motor so why chance it with that much money in a motor. just do the XFI and be done with it. If i had that much money into a motor thats a no brainer to me

As I posted earlier, there are a lot of new things coming. One of them is the "green" ecu. It will be 50 state legal and have all of the emission stuff in it.

I saw another protoype ecu they will be releasing that has some features I hope carry over into the XFI. Keep in mind, when these new features become available, you don't have to send your XFI in, you just reflash your ecu to the latest firmware.

While we're on this subject does the FAST XFI completely replace the stock ECM? Or does the ECM have to be used in conjunction?

It completly replaces it. Since the plugs are diferent, most people use an adaptor harness.

I saw what you had to do through to make changes in that chip and was just found the mental pic funny. Seeing a guy in a GN do all that in the staging lanes at the strip would crack me up. Not making fun of you, just made me laugh. I would like you to keep us updated in your progress though.:cool:

Sorry. I had one too many Monster Energy Drinks last night and was wound pretty tight. Tonight, it's Yuengling. I'm chillin' like a villian.

Jim

A couple trips to the track later, I lost the 2nd pump on a pass and FAST dumped in fuel like there was no tommorow. Saved the engine from major damage where a chip would have created a solid block of melted metal.

Sully

FWIW, I remember Roy Garcia telling me about a similar thing that happened to him. First time out with the FAST XFI it saved his motor and paid itself off a few times over! Definitely something to consider.:cool:

i like my tt chip but im trying a gen 2.it has alot of tuneability with it if youll be at noble you can look at it if i have it back in time.im having a software issue i think.the gen2 has some neat stuff but i personally really want to go xfi someday.ive seen the outlaw guys run it and once you get a handle on it i dont think you could beat it.chips are very easy to tune,the gen2 seems easy BUT you can have the car not running or idling pretty quick.xfi dont know yet

xfi

Not to hijack the thread, but can you add interal data logging to a unit that didn't come with it originally? Wish I had gotten that option with mine!

Yep contact any FAST vendor and they can get it for you.
It just a file that can be email as long as you have the latest firmware
installed.
If you go online and look into the "display ecu configuration"
and make sure it says version 56

My $.02.....

I have had all 3, adjustable chips, maft pro, and Gen7 (I know, not XFI, but it's an aftermarket fuel injection system.)

The car has been the most consistent with the aftermarket fuel injection. Seems like with the maftpro and the chips, the car would have a different attitude every other day. With the Gen7, I know I can make a good pass the first time down the track. Wideband 02 correction is a must imo when trying to go fast. With the DFI, no more worrying about blm's, int's, iac's, maf's, etc, etc...

I'll admit, I have a great tuner close by (thanks Lonnie!) that was able to teach me how to use the Gen7 and he was able to get the driveability super smooth. That helps a lot! If I did not have his help, I'd be lost. My car drives down the street like a stocker. If my wife was not afraid of the car, I'd let her drive it to the store...well...maybe not:biggrin:

My $.02.....

I'll admit, I have a great tuner close by (thanks Lonnie!) that was able to teach me how to use the Gen7 and he was able to get the driveability super smooth. That helps a lot! If I did not have his help, I'd be lost.
Thanks Kevin! What was just said there IS HUGE!
and IT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERANCE IN THE WORLD!!!

Cal, NONE of this was meant towards you at all!! You were SUPER busy all week in BG and you done what you could to fit me in and I appreciate that very much!

It is the best! to have someone real close to you that knows what they are doing and can help you dial in the drivability stuff. WOT was easy!

I'm done, I'm out. Peace!!!

Scot W.

Daaamn, that was another good day at the office, thanks for the break. I feel like the calvary arrived. Is there any other question about a FAST and whether it is a viable choice for street or strip. Times are a changing and FAST is no doubt, changing with it. The Red sox won a football game last nite, the USA won a bunch of metals and FAST still lives.... :cool: