You can type here any text you want

vacuum brake conversion question...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

at7we2

my Powermaster just went belly-up. rather than fixing the Powermaster (been there,done that), I'm considering converting to vacuum brakes.

I've been looking at what's available in a complete kit since I don't have time to dig in the junk yards.

One thing I've noticed is, some kits come with the large diameter, shallow vacuum resevoir like a standard G-body and some kits come with the smaller diameter, deeper vacuum resevoir like what I *think* came on the '89 TTA. :confused:

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two brake resevoirs? Are there any advantages or disadvantages of one over the other? Will they both fit a turbo Regal?

any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

This is the one you want. The dual diaphram.

Attachments

• Ebay%201.jpeg
    Ebay%201.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 388
To make it simple, just order a booster and MC for a non-turbo 1987 Regal.:)

hey Nick,

Thanks for the reply. but wouldn't a vaccum resevoir/diaphram for a non-turbo Regal be just a single diaphram unit? If I'm not mistaken, the '89 TTA had the dual diaphram design like what's pictured above, no?

Looks just like the one in the pic above, a dual diaphram.

The earlier Regals and G-bodies has a similar set up, but the the master cylinder/booster are matched and they will not interchange with the later version. The change was about mid-80's.

ahhhhh....hmmm... I see.

if I understand correctly, then all mid-80's and later G-bodies had the duel diaphram setup?

I remember my '79 Monte had the large, shallow diaphram. I *thought* my '86 SS did also, but I don't remember.

Here is a pic of the dual in action on a 89 TA.

Attachments

• BPG-Nats-2007_036 (Medium).JPG
    BPG-Nats-2007_036 (Medium).JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 347
thanks for posting that.

Nice TTA! :cool:

I'm definatley going to convert to vacuum. I'd like to keep my GN more original looking, but I'm done screwing with the Powermaster! This is the third turbo Buick I've owned and I've had problems with the Powermaster in all of them.

Hydroboost Conversion

The Large Dia Unit Is A Single Diaphragm, And The 8.75" Is The Dual Dia. The Dual Has More Area Of Surface To Push Against. The 83-85 T Types Came With A Hydroboost. Maybe It Would Be More "original" Looking? The H/b Uses The Same Pedal As The P/m, Saving The Labor On The Pedal Change. The Regal Vac Booster/master Uses A 24mm (15/16") Piston In The Master. The P/m Piston Is 1.250". That Is Why The Pedal Ratio Is Higher On The P/m. We Use 1.125" Piston With The H/b, And Retain The P/m Pedal. Mr. Dreamcar Reports Building 22lbs Of Boost With His Foot On The Brake. Give Him A Look Or P/message

I'm definatley going to convert to vacuum. I'd like to keep my GN more original looking, but I'm done screwing with the Powermaster! This is the third turbo Buick I've owned and I've had problems with the Powermaster in all of them.

Wow, are power masters that bad?

Wow, are power masters that bad?

Some have good luck and run them for years. Others like myself have been plagued with Powermaster problems constantly. The vacuum system works well, but I have heard the hydroboost works better. The vacuum cost is far less than the Hydroboost, but I see a hydroboost is in my near future. I like the boost holding capabilities among other features.

Where can I buy the kit pictured here and for how much? Thanks.

I just sold that kit to at7we2. I purchased it off E-bay quite awhile ago and never installed it. I am sure there are other supporting vendors that sell complete kits. GBodyParts has them, but phone Brian and ask for a quote on the dual diaphram kit. They can range from $350.00 at some vendors to $489.00 at Kirban's. The price can vary plenty as to whether the unit is new, recondtioned or used.

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

WLDWST, did you see that blue powdercoated unit on "Hydroboost Question?" We could do one for you in pearl white, with a polished alum. master.....hmmmmmm.......

Back