Wiped Cam Need Help Picking A New One

1987 Grand National

Well I think I have found my 5k rpm miss. I believe it has a wiped cylinder #5 exhaust lobe. It's a stock cam now, but I would like to upgrade. So now I need to pick a new cam. I would like to go roller if I can, but do the lifter bores need to be align bored or can I just drop a roller lifter in? My current setup is a 67mm turbo, 72lb injectors, duttweiler stretched intercooler, walbro double pumper, adjustable FPR, and 93 octane turbo tweak chip. I believe it has some other things but I can't think of them right now.

All of my stuff dropped right in. Would only burnish the lifter bores if doing a full rebuild. The cam I am running is the full throttle xr1 206/210 but would be willing to try the 210/215. What are you doing with the car? How do you drive it? Boost? Goals? need more specs.

I pulled the driver side valve cover and the exhaust rocker of #5 is not moving as far as the others. The car is going to be street driven 95% of the time with the occasional track day and I'm thinking around 25 lbs. of boost.

you need to find the reason the cam lobe failed, wrong oil, extended idle time, lifter bore off set, etc, etc
I'd prefer the 206-210 for drive ability and better low end ( street maners) everyone ALWAYS over cams their motors.
but few will admit it.

Looking at this one what do you guys think?

206 Hydraulic Roller Cam Specs | Intake / Exhaust
Advanced Duration: 258 / 258
Duration @ .050: 206 / 206
Valve Lift: .496 / .496
Lobe Seperation: 110.0

The 206 206 roller is a very good choice. I ran one with great results, does the car have the stock heads on it now? if so the exhaust guides may need trimmed down.

check the valve lift...stock guides may need to be cut...so may NOT be a drop in.

What ever you do stay away from.comp.lifters unless you like louder than normal lifters. Morel are the better ones to buy but i could be wrong...

One important piece of info is missing, and that is are your heads stock or worked?

Either way, with a 67 turbo and 25 psi, I would use a larger cam like a 212/212 that will give lots of torque and mid-range RPM on the street.

LIke steve v said The heads will have to come off for valve guide trimming. Too much lift on this cam for stock guide height.

What about this one from GN1. Will it just drop in and are they quality parts? They don't give any specs on lift. I still would like to upgrade but I don't want to get to involved until I rebuild the entire engine. So I'm looking for a drop in.

This is a GN1Performance "CAMSHAFT KIT" for a 1986 or 1987 Buick Grand National, T Type, Turbo T, or GNX 3.8 liter turbo V6. This kit comes complete with a Isky 208/208 camshaft on a 112 lobe center which gives a smooth idle and works great with a stock converter or a 9" 2800-3000 stall. This camshaft is capable of going well into the 10's. Kit also comes with Edelbrock true rolling-timing chain set and a set of seal power lifters.

I was also looking at comp cams 212/212 flat tappet cam with their high energy lifters and their timing chain set. .459" lift is that too much lift for my stock valve guides or is this a drop in? My heads already have the 980 springs as well that are not that old.

1987 Grand National said:
I was also looking at comp cams 212/212 flat tappet cam with their high energy lifters and their timing chain set. .459" lift is that too much lift for my stock valve guides or is this a drop in? My heads already have the 980 springs as well that are not that old.

Not a drop in and 980 springs aren't enough.

I have a set of stock heads out in the shop and I will take them apart tommorow and measure the guides to see and let you know.

That would be great thank you.
I would like to make a suggestion. If you think you wiped a cam lobe, before you drop in another cam check you oil filter and/or oil pan(inspect the oil drained out of it) any signs of metal. Any metal that is between the crank journal and bearing, if it is bigger than ten thousandth or an inch could start damaging the bearings. Someone has already mentioned, try and figure out why it failed before replacing if possible. Just going off of experience. I wiped a cam lope and had the cam replaced and I am having tell tale signs of the bearings going. I hope that is not it, but I wouldn't be surprised and I was forewarned by many on this board that any metal through the engine oiling system can cause" catastrophe engine failure". Sorry, I am not trying to hijack your thread with my own issues.
I hope all goes well.